• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle?

Years
We need to revive some of these threads. ; -;

1.png
4.png
7.png

Which starter did you choose in FR/LG in your first playthrough, if you remember? Did you make new files to use the other starters? Which was your favorite to use? What do you think of the Kanto starters overall?

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Bulbasaur is probably the best one in-game, since it has advantage over Brock and Misty and Venusaur is probably the best against Gary. However, I don't really have a favourite. Charizard is definitely the best one competitively, though.

Years
Charmander. It reminds of both games and anime so I always go with it. Yes, it does have trouble beating Brock if it doesnt have Metal Claw but other than that it's pretty awesome :D

Starters are awesome, design and balance wise, in my opinion. Even with nostalgia excluded, they are still my favorite set of starters :D

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
My nostalgia glasses see flawlessness.

It's funny because I began with loving Charmander and always choosing it as the starter. I've really lost my excitement for that Pokemon and so I almost always go with Squirtle or Bulbasaur.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I wound up picking all three, haha.

In my first run of FireRed version, I chose Charmander. Back then, I used to be obsessed with fire-types, generally, which was one of the reasons to my decision. Next is that Charizard was the game's mascot, so it seemed to have been sort of fitting for me to go with that.

Second run—when it came to selecting starters, I picked Squirtle. I would have chosen Charmander again, but heavily leaned on not doing so, as I had already done it in my previous play-through. As for third run, it was Bulbasaur, all due to similar reasons.

Years
Squirtle. I always choose Squirtle. I like how cute he is and I think the "Squartle Squad" from the anime made me think of him in a cute and kick-ass way. I love turtle's (or tortoise's) in general. Plus, water-type starters are the way for me.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
Bulbasaur is my absolute favorite Pokémon of all time. However, I picked Squirtle during my very first playthrough because my sister already had a good Bulbasaur that she was willing to trade me. Of course, I ended up picking Bulbasaur in all of my subsequent playthroughs.

While I'm not that fond of the Kanto region as a whole, the Kanto starters have always been my favorite starter trio (though I really like the others, as well).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I picked Charmander for my very first run through FireRed, and had so much fun that I pretty much always pick Charmander. While I have used the other starters, it just feels wrong to play FireRed/LeafGreen without starting with Charmander.

Espurr_Kawaii

Pokemon Trainer Coordinator
Years
SQUIRTLE, its my first choose when im started to play on fr/lg . Its energetic and when i so it the series, i love the episode when the squirtle squad got a mission.. haha :) ! Squirtle! Squirtle! Squirtle! ^_^

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I chose Squirtle. I chose Squirtle at the very beginning starting with Pokemon Blue Version, so it felt fitting to start with Squirtle once again. He's at level 82 and I still have him somewhere in Pokemon Bank.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I chose Bulbasuar. I love Bulbasuar. I think the whole Charmander and Charizard thing is overrated. I chose Squirtile in my other version. The two of them help loads with Brock and Misty!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 9, 2015
I picked Bulbasaur because of the first 3 gyms and he was a monster. I loved him in that generation. I made so many files I wanted to text all of their abilities and they all did great. I won the game with Bulbasaur. #Memories

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Picked Bulbasaur in FRLG since I picked Squirtle in R/B

The game wasn't kidding on how things would start out for the starters (Oak saying Bulbasaur is easy to raise, Squirtle being more on the medium side of things, Charmander being the hardest to raise)

I picked Charmander for my first playthrough. The fact that it had metal claw made Brock easier to beat.

Good point. They knew it had to be done in the remakes.

Years
I have always preferred Charmander over the other two, but it already made the game so dull.
I went with Bulbasaur and had fun, so Bulbasaur wins.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I've always gone with Bulbasaur. It made the game easier for me when it evolved into Venusaur. That thing was a beast. xD And I loved it.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
Years
I always go with Charmander when it's this lot. I restarted my game in FR because I had an unbalanced team and still went with Charmander.

My friend that had gifted the cartridge to me picked a Bulbasaur though. Never used it (I moved it to HG) but heard good things about Venasaur.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Squirtle!
7.png

Just to quote myself from the starter trio thread:

I remember for my first run-through of pokemon Blue, I've picked Squirtle. it was because it was a really simple, yet pretty cool pokemon! It was very handy as a water type and it fit well with the team that I was planning at the time - Vileplume, Clefable, Alakazam, etc. I dunno, it's simple design appealed to me, which, while Charmander and Bulbasaur was also really cool, Squirtle just held something pretty dear to me~!

Another partial the reason was when I was playing pokemon Yellow, I used to hate fighting rock type pokemon, especially the first gym. That's because there wasn't much opportunities to get moves that were super effective against Brock's Rock-type pokemon, so, I had to spend a lot of time training my Nidoran♀ to learn double kick. Training a Butterfree didn't really help me at all because of those Rock-type moves, and using Pikachu to beat them just took too long. Plus, Nidoran♀ wasn't exactly a foolproof plan to beat Brock since his Onix had Bide and there was a chance that Nidoran♀ couldn't OHKO is pokemon, so, yeah~!

There was also that dang Rock Tunnel, you know, with all the Hikers and their Ground and Rock pokemon.. ugh, I regretted not training my Bulbasaur or Squirtle that I've gotten on Pokémon Yellow, and those Rock Pokémon were really tough to beat, especially the ones with Self-Destruct that OHKO'd my Pikachu. So there fore, Squirtle was just my way of saying 'REVENGE' to all those ground pokemon in Pokemon LeafGreen, and so that I could breeze through the game much easier! (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤

Back