• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Eternal X & Wilting Y [Version 2.67 Released]

Lithobraker

Practicioner of the fine art of breaking one's fal
Years
Hey, the docs mention that Porygon-Z gets Techno Blast, but none of the Pory- family have any entries at all in the Level-Up Moves .txt file. What level does it learn it at?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hey, the docs mention that Porygon-Z gets Techno Blast, but none of the Pory- family have any entries at all in the Level-Up Moves .txt file. What level does it learn it at?

I just checked the level up moves file on Google Drive, they do have entries there, at least on my end. Did you search the document from the beginning? Some .txt file editors don't search in both directions at once; if you were reading another part of the file it may have missed the Pory- line's info.

Either way, Porygon-Z learns Techno Blast at level one, so you'll need a Heart Scale (or a level one Porygon) to get it.

Lithobraker

Years
Sorry to double post, but that apparently doesn't cause notifications to appear.
So, I've got a suggestion for Hawlucha. I want to use one for my team, but Acrobatics is a bit of a pain in the neck because it's Hawlucha's only good Flying STAB move. In order to make good use of Acrobatics, Hawlucha cannot hold an item. This means that it sort of falls behind other members of my team, who can all hold Life Orbs and such. So, my suggestion is that you add type gems to a Pokemart somewhere. (You COULD add all 16, but that's a lot of shop slots you'd need to find, and most type gems aren't that useful apart from Flying gems, which specifically synergize with Acrobatics. I recommend you place the Flying Gems in Cyllage City, which is close to Route 10, along with Normal Gems, leaving Dusk Balls to still be purchasable there, or Lumiose City's North Boulevard, leaving Net Balls to still be purchasable there.)

Edit: Oh, also, how do the TM learnsets work? Are the new TMs (save for listed additions and Sucker Punch) compatible with all Pokemon that learn them by tutor? (So, for example, does Eelektross learn Drain Punch through TM, as it is a tutor move in ORAS?) Or are all the TM compatibilites the same as before?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Sorry to double post, but that apparently doesn't cause notifications to appear.
So, I've got a suggestion for Hawlucha. I want to use one for my team, but Acrobatics is a bit of a pain in the neck because it's Hawlucha's only good Flying STAB move. In order to make good use of Acrobatics, Hawlucha cannot hold an item. This means that it sort of falls behind other members of my team, who can all hold Life Orbs and such. So, my suggestion is that you add type gems to a Pokemart somewhere. (You COULD add all 16, but that's a lot of shop slots you'd need to find, and most type gems aren't that useful apart from Flying gems, which specifically synergize with Acrobatics. I recommend you place the Flying Gems in Cyllage City, which is close to Route 10, along with Normal Gems, leaving Dusk Balls to still be purchasable there, or Lumiose City's North Boulevard, leaving Net Balls to still be purchasable there.)

Edit: Oh, also, how do the TM learnsets work? Are the new TMs (save for listed additions and Sucker Punch) compatible with all Pokemon that learn them by tutor? (So, for example, does Eelektross learn Drain Punch through TM, as it is a tutor move in ORAS?) Or are all the TM compatibilites the same as before?

I do like the idea of having the type Gems, or at least the Flying Gem, available somewhere. I suppose I could replace the Nest Ball in the Cyllage City mart, seeing as they stop being useful pretty quickly. The only place that really has room for all of the Gems is the Pick Up table, and placing them there might ruin the ability for anyone who just wanted free items. Regardless, I'll make sure you can get Flying Gems somewhere in the next update; not sure when that will be, though, as updating all six versions is a bit of a pain.

As for the new TMs, they should be compatible with anything that can learn the moves they teach by any means (Egg move, tutor, old TM) in any other game. So yes, Eelektross will learn Drain Punch via the TM.

Lithobraker

Years
I do like the idea of having the type Gems, or at least the Flying Gem, available somewhere. I suppose I could replace the Nest Ball in the Cyllage City mart, seeing as they stop being useful pretty quickly. The only place that really has room for all of the Gems is the Pick Up table, and placing them there might ruin the ability for anyone who just wanted free items. Regardless, I'll make sure you can get Flying Gems somewhere in the next update; not sure when that will be, though, as updating all six versions is a bit of a pain.

As for the new TMs, they should be compatible with anything that can learn the moves they teach by any means (Egg move, tutor, old TM) in any other game. So yes, Eelektross will learn Drain Punch via the TM.

Alright! Thanks for the reply!
Gonna wait until the update to play, unless old saves are compatible.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Alright! Thanks for the reply!
Gonna wait until the update to play, unless old saves are compatible.

No problem! Old saves will definitely be compatible with the update; there's no way to edit scripts in gen 6 just yet so there's no way to break save compatibility. You could even use saves from the vanilla games if you wanted to.

Lithobraker

Years
Alright, the first gym is proving to be extremely frustrating, even with the Farfetch'd. Levelling him up in the wild so he learns Aerial Ace takes a bit too long. Viola's pokemon are all a bit too high-level and have moves and items that I can't possibly have yet, plus they seem to tank any hit that isn't super-effective like a champion, and my Fletchling's Peck is still just too weak...

You should probably nerf Viola next update so Farfetch'd isn't virtually required.
I mean, out of all the moves I could've expected Joltik to use against my neutral-to-Bug Petilil, the last move I'd have expected was the 70-BP egg move, Cross Poison. That's a bit unfair.

-Edit-
Managed to beat Viola with a Farfetch'd after a bunch of grinding, but the Paras trainers have on Route 4 have the egg move Cross Poison again, which is a little bit too strong. My team is a bit low level after Farfetch'd carried them through the gym though, and one of them is quad-weak to Poison.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Alright, the first gym is proving to be extremely frustrating, even with the Farfetch'd. Levelling him up in the wild so he learns Aerial Ace takes a bit too long. Viola's pokemon are all a bit too high-level and have moves and items that I can't possibly have yet, plus they seem to tank any hit that isn't super-effective like a champion, and my Fletchling's Peck is still just too weak...

You should probably nerf Viola next update so Farfetch'd isn't virtually required.
I mean, out of all the moves I could've expected Joltik to use against my neutral-to-Bug Petilil, the last move I'd have expected was the 70-BP egg move, Cross Poison. That's a bit unfair.

-Edit-
Managed to beat Viola with a Farfetch'd after a bunch of grinding, but the Paras trainers have on Route 4 have the egg move Cross Poison again, which is a little bit too strong. My team is a bit low level after Farfetch'd carried them through the gym though, and one of them is quad-weak to Poison.

Yeah, I think enough people have struggled with Viola for me to look into toning her down a bit, I'll make some changes in the next update. Out of curiosity, which starter did you pick? Frogadier tends to have a hard time against her unless you buy the Smack Down TM, while the other two can handle most of her team on their own. There are a few alternatives to Farfetch'd available, namely Sudowoodo, Dunsparce and Simisear, but I suppose it is a bit much to require training an extra Pokémon just to clear the first gym.

I'll consider nerfing the Gardeners' Paras too, but bear in mind that at this point in the game the player has access to much better moves than Cross Poison; the elemental punch TMs can be purchased in the Santalune City mart (you should be able to afford at least one with the prize money from Viola, or you can catch a bunch of monkeys in Santalune Forest and sell the stones they hold).

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to get the next update out in the next couple of weeks.

Lithobraker

Years
Yeah, I think enough people have struggled with Viola for me to look into toning her down a bit, I'll make some changes in the next update. Out of curiosity, which starter did you pick? Frogadier tends to have a hard time against her unless you buy the Smack Down TM, while the other two can handle most of her team on their own. There are a few alternatives to Farfetch'd available, namely Sudowoodo, Dunsparce and Simisear, but I suppose it is a bit much to require training an extra Pokémon just to clear the first gym.

I'll consider nerfing the Gardeners' Paras too, but bear in mind that at this point in the game the player has access to much better moves than Cross Poison; the elemental punch TMs can be purchased in the Santalune City mart (you should be able to afford at least one with the prize money from Viola, or you can catch a bunch of monkeys in Santalune Forest and sell the stones they hold).

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to get the next update out in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, I picked Froakie. I never even realized that you could make infinite money by catching elemental monkeys and selling their stones, though! I'll keep that in mind.
I also didn't know that Frogadier learned Smack Down through TM.

Lithobraker

Years
Just got a Quiet Honedge, and I've only just now realized that in order for Aegislash to get King's Shield, it'll have to use the Move Relearner, who's located a bit over halfway into the game, in Dendemille Town.

I'm not sure if Aegislash getting King's Shield before then would be OP or not, and Doublade is still pretty good anyway, but would it be a bad idea to have Aegislash learn King's Shield at Level 40, 50, or thereabouts? I did play a good part of Neo Y, and Aegislash learning it upon evolution, while powerful, didn't seem to make it too strong.

I could always just give my Doublade Eviolite, though.

Years
I'm having trouble finding a guide to properly use a patch on a 3DS...

The guides I've found reference software that has changed a lot, or that I can't find. Considering the process has been rather long and tedious, and now I'm fairly convinced I'm doing something wrong...

I'm just curious if there is a better guide somewhere?

Lithobraker

Years
I'm having trouble finding a guide to properly use a patch on a 3DS...

The guides I've found reference software that has changed a lot, or that I can't find. Considering the process has been rather long and tedious, and now I'm fairly convinced I'm doing something wrong...

I'm just curious if there is a better guide somewhere?
Do you have homebrew installed on your 3DS? This requires that your firmware is outdated, and the process for that is very complicated. There's a myriad of ways to install homebrew, but I had the easiest time installing Browserhax, and then Homemenuhax from there. Once you get into the homebrew application, there should be a Homemenuhax manager you can use to install Homemenuhax 100% automatically.

All homebrew hacks require that you place some files in the SD card inserted into your system, and which files to use depends on your firmware version (if it's compatible at all).
I wish I remembered what resource I used to install my copy of homebrew.

As for actually playing the hacks, there's a tutorial here you can apply to pretty much all of the romhacks, so long as you know what files to look for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuotPqppL0M

Years
I have homebrew, and I shall watch this tutorial.

The main issue I'm running into is Hans is referring to my files as invalid for some reason, but without a more detailed error message I'm clueless as to which step I did wrong, since I kind of frankensteined two guides together

Lithobraker

Years
I have homebrew, and I shall watch this tutorial.

The main issue I'm running into is Hans is referring to my files as invalid for some reason, but without a more detailed error message I'm clueless as to which step I did wrong, since I kind of frankensteined two guides together

Are you trying to run it with Hans itself? It's got its own icon in the Homebrew menu, much like Rutile Ruby/Star Sapphire.
It's not installed like hacks without unique icons (Neo XY, Sinking Sapphire/Rising Ruby), where the names of the files in the Hans folder need to match the last eight or so digits of the rom dump file's name. I had issues with that when I didn't realize how this hack was meant to be installed.

Years
I believe I've found the issue, the version of braindump that I Found only creates a cxi file, which apparently is not what it is supposed to do?

I just assumed I had the most recent version of it... The problem I find I run into with 3DS hacking way more than other homebrew stuff is that guides that are outdated often dominate the google results :c I believe I'fe found the correct version of braindump, so I must dump X again... Also the ROMFS Extractor mentioned in the readme...I was unable to ever find it and had to use something else, though it's hard to say if it worked well or not, considering I apparently failed at some point with the braindump

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Just got a Quiet Honedge, and I've only just now realized that in order for Aegislash to get King's Shield, it'll have to use the Move Relearner, who's located a bit over halfway into the game, in Dendemille Town.

I'm not sure if Aegislash getting King's Shield before then would be OP or not, and Doublade is still pretty good anyway, but would it be a bad idea to have Aegislash learn King's Shield at Level 40, 50, or thereabouts? I did play a good part of Neo Y, and Aegislash learning it upon evolution, while powerful, didn't seem to make it too strong.

I could always just give my Doublade Eviolite, though.

I feel like Aegislash is going to be very strong regardless of when it learns King's Shield (especially with that nature); with the early access to Dusk Stones in EXWY it would make sense for it to learn the move by level up too. Level 50 is a good suggestion, that's around about the level you'd be by the time you got to Dendemille Town in the vanilla games anyway. I'll add that to the list of things to do for 1.2.

I believe I've found the issue, the version of braindump that I Found only creates a cxi file, which apparently is not what it is supposed to do?

I just assumed I had the most recent version of it... The problem I find I run into with 3DS hacking way more than other homebrew stuff is that guides that are outdated often dominate the google results :c I believe I'fe found the correct version of braindump, so I must dump X again... Also the ROMFS Extractor mentioned in the readme...I was unable to ever find it and had to use something else, though it's hard to say if it worked well or not, considering I apparently failed at some point with the braindump

Brain dump producing a cxi file is fine (not sure what the most recent version does), you can extract the romfs and exefs from it using Asia 81's 3DS hacking toolkit (pick a download link from here). There's a tutorial on using the kit here. It should cover everything, but I'm happy to help if you have any questions.
Sorry about that awful readme, it seems to be outdated already; I'll update it as soon as I can. It's about time these games came with a full installation guide anyway, and as you say it's very hard to find current ones.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Are the X version's files correct? I'm having a hard time getting this to work properly; overwriting vanilla's files with Legal, Rebalanced, and Insanity folders in that order and replacing the code.bin is producing a game with edited trainers, pokemon, and item prices but vanilla encounter tables and shops.

Also I can't recommend using Braindump, I wasted a ton of time trying to get this to work before realizing that it was giving me faulty dumps. I had to resort to Uncart to get a dump that could actually be built into a working vanilla game.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Are the X version's files correct? I'm having a hard time getting this to work properly; overwriting vanilla's files with Legal, Rebalanced, and Insanity folders in that order and replacing the code.bin is producing a game with edited trainers, pokemon, and item prices but vanilla encounter tables and shops.

Also I can't recommend using Braindump, I wasted a ton of time trying to get this to work before realizing that it was giving me faulty dumps. I had to resort to Uncart to get a dump that could actually be built into a working vanilla game.

They should be, I used them to create the update patches on the Drive recently. You're definitely following the steps correctly; I assume you're building a .cia file and installing the game via custom firmware? The problem you're having is typically caused by playing the game with X's title update installed. For some reason Gamefreak decided to include copies of the wild encounters and text files within the update, so they override the changes made by the hack. It's a similar story with the shop data, but they actually had a good reason for that one. Uninstalling the update should resolve the problem.

Braindump is only really useful if you're playing the games via the homebrew channel; it doesn't have access to the cart's exheader, so it can't dump everything you need to build a full .3ds or .cia file. It should give you everything you need to make a usable romfs and code.bin though.

Back