• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Real animals that look like Pokémon but aren't?

Years
Hi all,

So I'm an aspiring blogger and I've written a post about real animals/plants that look like they could be Pokémon but haven't been used by Game Freak (yet).

I've written about three but I'm looking for more ideas for future posts, and I thought I'd use this community which is always so helpful and friendly =D .

In case you want to check it out, it's here: http://memeticdrifting.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/animals-that-could-be-pokemon-part-1/

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for real animals that are already Pokémon (e.g. Squirtle / Turtle or Wooper / Axolotl), but real organisms which actually look like they've come straight outta the Pokéverse! Nature has some pretty weird things out there and I'd love to learn more about them. Pictures or names of the critter would be great - I'd be happy to credit people who come up with ideas.

Thanks so much, I look forward to seeing your ideas, and if you have feedback on the blogpost, please let me know also so I can improve!!

Hum

Years
This funny looking bird I have always found quite amusing and looks like it could have been a pokemon.

2350D6A61A48A9BD319EA2B42CF3C1_h498_w598_m2.jpg

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Reminds me of Pelliper CliveKooper haha!
Well, this one would make a fierce Pokemon. (The image is quiet large) ;P

Spoiler:

Years
Oooh, some cool thoughts here. I've just released my part 2 here: http://memeticdrifting.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/real-life-species-that-could-be-pokemon-part-2/ but I'm definitely thinking about new ideas for part 3 and 4

Anyone know what the wading bird is that CliveKooper suggested? I actually really like it but I can't write about it unless I know what it is.

EG_kangaroo: This is awesome - is it from Australia by any chance? (just looking at your display picture!) Thanks for providing the species name, picture and suggested name!

Trainer_Altair, this is a Tasmanian Devil (which the cartoon character Taz is supposed to be based on!), and they are pretty fierce little things!

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2014
TheLadyHum,

The bird CliveKooper suggested is called Shoebill. It's habitat is mainly Sudan. You can find lots of info in Wikipedia. It could be a Flying/Water or Flying/Normal or Flying/Ground(as they love muddy swamps).

The Bilby is a marsupial and it lives in Australia. Very cute animal :3
It could be a Normal type.

Well some animals that I like and I would find interesting as Pokemon would be :

1. Koalas

search

Could be Normal type or even a Grass type as they are herbivores and are strongly related to trees. Normal/Grass would be best.
They could have the ability Immunity as they eat toxic eucalyptus leaves and they are just fine.

Stats :
75 HP
110 Attack
90 Defense
75 Sp. Attack
105 Sp.Def
70 Speed

2. Blobfish.
Those things are absolutely great! They could be among the 'pink blobs' since its a literally a pink blob.

search

Stats :
130 HP (It looks bulky and something has to make up for the ugly stats below)
5 Attack (No muscle at all)
5 Defense (no muscles, light and soft bones, very jellyish, soft body)
60 Sp. Att
80 Sp. Def
30 Speed

Looks like an inferior version of Chansey.

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
Pandas and Red Pandas..!
Similar names, very different animals, neither of them are already Pokemon, and both would probably make good Pokemon.

For reference:

Panda (You already know what this looks like):
Spoiler:

Red Panda:
Spoiler:

This funny looking bird I have always found quite amusing and looks like it could have been a pokemon.

2350D6A61A48A9BD319EA2B42CF3C1_h498_w598_m2.jpg

Woah... That looks incredibly similar to a Loftwing from Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword:

529px-Loftwing_Artwork.png

Back