• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
What does one do when they write from a canon where the own author keeps screwing things up? What source of canon information do you follow? What the older books say? Or the newer books?

To clarify, when I said "original fiction," I meant "write your own story from scratch, not based on anything," rather than "write based on someone else's books." You probably knew that, but I realized that my wording was a bit off.

That said, to answer, whichever you think is more logical, I should say. For example, there's seriously two (or more) different backstories that the anime gives for Team Rocket. If you're going to write a fic that mentions how they met, you just have to choose which story you want to go with (usually depending on the rest of the canon -- such as ignoring Chronicles for the sake of the main anime, which gives at least one coherent story) or figure out a logical way to piece them together. (I've seen fics that actually pull off the latter, rather than drop the entire thing and pull something else out of their rears.)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
To clarify, when I said "original fiction," I meant "write your own story from scratch, not based on anything," rather than "write based on someone else's books." You probably knew that, but I realized that my wording was a bit off.
Yeah, knew that. I just pulled that quote out of your post to make you notice my question more. Did it work? :/

And I stick with what the older books say, since the author changed the age to make the main character more uber-special-awesome than what the character was made out to be. But the first age mentioned is the "norm" for that world, and doesn't make the character more uber-special-awesome than what the character already is.

I doubt I make sense now. I just lost a gallon of blood.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Yeah, knew that. I just pulled that quote out of your post to make you notice my question more. Did it work? :/

It did. Sorry about that.

Curiosity speaking, what series are you referring to? Just asking, mostly to see why someone would go with the older over the newer for that particular fandom. (In some cases, going with older over the newer tends to be a bit more difficult because the older continuum is most likely vastly different and not as accepted as a fandom as the newer. Such as Battlestar Galactica. Although, okay, they're not technically the same branch of fandom the way the Pokemon anime should probably not be compared to the manga. But still.)

I doubt I make sense now. I just lost a gallon of blood.

*offers a band-aid*

And if I don't make sense, it's finals week.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Have you, as a reviewer, liked a fic initially, only to go back and read it and discover that it was a complete mess?

Yep, due to a change in the overall theme of the story. The writing quality never went down, but in recent chapters the plot has become so convoluted that I found myself not having any idea what the hell just happened. I also found myself not caring what happened anymore as well.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
Have you, as a reviewer, liked a fic initially, only to go back and read it and discover that it was a complete mess?

Yep, due to a change in the overall theme of the story. The writing quality never went down, but in recent chapters the plot has become so convoluted that I found myself not having any idea what the hell just happened. I also found myself not caring what happened anymore as well.

How so? I'm just taking notes hoping to not make the same mistake with my own stories if I can help it :).
I have many things in my own story that get explained later on, but I like to space the information out...I'm sometimes afraid I do it to too great a degree though :P

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
And if I don't make sense, it's finals week.
Oh, say it with some passion...
Spoiler:

For me, it's 'Yr 11 half-year exams'. So less catchy...

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
XD bobandbill, that's awesome. I would use that for my own finals time, but I really don't care about my grades, so I don't freak out about it now.

For me, it's 'Yr 11 half-year exams'. So less catchy...
For me it's: "I'm almost graduating and I just need to boost my grades a bit to transfer to another college to see a particular teacher again! Yay!"

Curiosity speaking, what series are you referring to?
._. Don't you read my LJ? It's the only book series where I go rabid fangirl mode for. It's the only book series where I have to have four copies of the same book because three are falling apart from being read so much.

Guh, Jax. We're, like, no longer bestest friendz nao. D<

Actually, I remembered that I said to ignore all my LJ posts whenever I go ranty about that book series, so I don't blame you. I would ignore myself whenever I go off on a tangent about those books if I was another person.

It's the Enderverse series by Orson Scott Card. Now, there are a few instances where he messed up his own canon, but one instance that sticks out in my mind is the age that the main character is when he goes up to the magical school in space. In the first book, he goes up to that school when he's six, and this is made such a big deal of since because he's six, it appeared as if the government didn't deem him worthy enough of going to this school. Because of that, his older brother still thought that he was better, since he was deemed "worthy" by the government at the age of three. (There's way more to it than just that.) But all that's really needed to know is that the older brother treated the main character horribly because of the whole worthiness by the government thing for the school in space. And that relationship between the two brothers was a theme that was carried throughout the entire book.

Now, in the later books, it's said that the main character is sent up to space at the age of five because he's so intelligent, special, and all these other kind of "perfect" character qualities. That's the only reason why Card keeps bringing up the younger age: to drive home the point that his character is chosen from the start.

That's kind of why I lean more towards the version written in the first book, since it has more of a background for the character, rather than making him more sparkly than he already is. (Which so was not needed to be done. The main character has been called a canon-stu.)

(In some cases, going with older over the newer tends to be a bit more difficult because the older continuum is most likely vastly different and not as accepted as a fandom as the newer.
The fandom is practically non-existent. :P I just write fanfiction for the books to explore the characters in the way that I see them, but it's not something I would publish online. It's just that the differences that there are in the canon have always been something that irked me.

*offers a band-aid*
It was a horrific bloody nose. *sticks band-aid up nostril* Ack.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
How so? I'm just taking notes hoping to not make the same mistake with my own stories if I can help it :).
I have many things in my own story that get explained later on, but I like to space the information out...I'm sometimes afraid I do it to too great a degree though :P

At the risk of unintentionally revealing which fic it is, its plot went from a simple but well written journey fic to some complex mess involving Chosens with magical powers, bizarre visions, and ancient prophecies that I can't even begin to wrap my mind around:/

Bay

Years
To bobandbill: actually, that's politically correct. :P The thing is I don't have finals yet but the university I'm going too this is the time for midterms while the finals are in June (my uni is in the quarter system). Actually had one done yesterday and will do another one next Wednesday (good time to study that midterm now as there's going to be a lot of stuff I need to remember >.>).

And oh yeah, love that banner. ^^

To DarkPersian: I think I know what story you're talking about. Actually, if what I assume is right, that fic too is one of the fics I used to be a fan of but then after one of my friends did the review and brought out some big points that I missed, now I'm not so sure if that fic is that great anymore...^^;

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
First off, bobandbill, that image is epic, and therefore, I'ma saving it for next time I have to say it's finals week. XD Thanks!

._. Don't you read my LJ?

Of course not. I'm clearly an egotist on LJ.

Seriously, oops. I never can keep track of who fangirls what. XD That's what I get for friending a bunch of fangirls with sci-fi interests. Whatever happened to the days when all my friends just followed Harry Potter?

Guh, Jax. We're, like, no longer bestest friendz nao. D<

That's okay. More of a reason to molest your pair.

@ Enderverse: WTF. I'm getting J.K. Rowling vibes, personally. (At least with the sparkly chosen!stu. Granted, his age never really changes, and Rowling can keep somewhat consistent with the important details. But still...)

It was a horrific bloody nose. *sticks band-aid up nostril* Ack.

No, my dear, you have to really stick it in there. *prepares to go off to tell PC staff that the mod for the Fanfiction forum has died*

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Of course not. I'm clearly an egotist on LJ.
>0 You...rawr.

Seriously, oops. I never can keep track of who fangirls what. XD That's what I get for friending a bunch of fangirls with sci-fi interests. Whatever happened to the days when all my friends just followed Harry Potter?
I dunno. I never really got into Harry Potter, so it was a fandom I never inserted myself into. So I dunno what happened to that fandom. And from what I used to read on fanficrants, it's a good thing I never did insert myself into the fandom.

That's okay. More of a reason to molest your pair.
My pair is still recovering from the fact that two people he placed in our lounge-ship are actually two middle-aged men, so perhaps some lurve from you will make him feel better.

And okay, our friendship never meant that much to me anyway. :D

@ Enderverse: WTF. I'm getting J.K. Rowling vibes, personally. (At least with the sparkly chosen!stu. Granted, his age never really changes, and Rowling can keep somewhat consistent with the important details. But still...)
Yeah, but can Harry Potter speak multiple languages without trying, and write three galaxy-wide best selling books, and save multiple planets, and help find religions, and create humans from his mind? I thought so.

No, my dear, you have to really stick it in there. *prepares to go off to tell PC staff that the mod for the Fanfiction forum has died*
I've always wondered, if I were to go insane from you people and have to be committed to an mental asylum, who would take my place as mod. I would have originally said Yamato-san, but now I don't know. :<

And as a note: Don't take this post seriously. I only got an hour of sleep this morning. :D

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I dunno. I never really got into Harry Potter, so it was a fandom I never inserted myself into. So I dunno what happened to that fandom. And from what I used to read on fanficrants, it's a good thing I never did insert myself into the fandom.

Oh, but the rants and wank more than made up for the fact that the fandom was ridden with sparkly sues, leaps of logic, and bad characterization!

...Okay, maybe they didn't, but Fandom Wank at least made the drama all that much more interesting. Meanwhile, I nodded towards my friends' Harry x Draco smutfics and OC fanarts and just wondered why the series was starting to suck after Goblet of Fire.

My pair is still recovering from the fact that two people he placed in our lounge-ship are actually two middle-aged men, so perhaps some lurve from you will make him feel better.

You mean he's surprised that there's middle-aged men lurking around on the internets? XD

Yeah, but can Harry Potter speak multiple languages without trying, and write three galaxy-wide best selling books, and save multiple planets, and help find religions, and create humans from his mind? I thought so.

Well, he can speak to snakes in a different language, pick up a famous wizarding sport as if he was genetically engineered to play it, get away with almost anything in school because he's buddy-buddy with the headmaster, and face off against the world's most powerful wizard and come out triumphant (while scoring with his best friend's beautiful sister). But yeah, the galaxy-wide best selling books sorta trumps all this. WTF, no one can do that!

I've always wondered, if I were to go insane from you people and have to be committed to an mental asylum, who would take my place as mod. I would have originally said Yamato-san, but now I don't know. :<

Well, if we can't lift Yamato-san's ban to let him be the mod because we're clearly in the wrong for having gotten him kicked out in the first place (despite his "delightful" personality and departure post), my vote goes with Lord94.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Oh, but the rants and wank more than made up for the fact that the fandom was ridden with sparkly sues, leaps of logic, and bad characterization!

...Okay, maybe they didn't, but Fandom Wank at least made the drama all that much more interesting. Meanwhile, I nodded towards my friends' Harry x Draco smutfics and OC fanarts and just wondered why the series was starting to suck after Goblet of Fire.
That is just about when the fandom started to suck, and it sucked so well that I even knew it. (I have to assume that you did, but have you ever heard of the famous HP-fic "My Immortal"? And have you ever actually read it?)

You mean he's surprised that there's middle-aged men lurking around on the internets? XD
Said middle-aged men are an original character that I made up, and the man with the galaxy-wide best selling books. Oh, and the smartest computer known to man that controls all the computers in the galaxy sitting in his ear.

Well, he can speak to snakes in a different language,
Oh, this canon-stu can speak English (both "normal" and quote Shakespeare off the top of his head), German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese, Chinese, and probably Swahili. I wouldn't put it past him. There are probably much more.

Plus, he has the oh-so-perfect singing voice, which he uses to sing in various languages.

pick up a famous wizarding sport as if he was genetically engineered to play it,
This character picked up the physically-grueling game of war at the age of seven. And was commander of an "army" of forty boys at the age of nine...and won against older students who were more experienced.

get away with almost anything in school because he's buddy-buddy with the headmaster,
Harry Potter didn't kill two people by kicking their noses into their brains (one murder was done when he was six), didn't nearly kill three other boys, and sat there and whined because "he was a puppet and they won't let him have a choice and he doesn't belong anywhere".

and face off against the world's most powerful wizard and come out triumphant
Try an alien race that was technologically advanced.

(while scoring with his best friend's beautiful sister).
Okay, I'll give Harry that. This character didn't get any action until the age of thirty-seven. Because he was too busy traveling around for 3000 years saving other worlds.

But yeah, the galaxy-wide best selling books sorta trumps all this. WTF, no one can do that!
Unless you're Andrew "Ender/Andy/the Xenocide/Speaker For the Dead/Coffee Man" Wiggin. <3

Oh, and I can't forget that Andy looks good while doing all this too. His beauty is dangerous, and his hands are strong yet smooth. <3

Well, if we can't lift Yamato-san's ban to let him be the mod because we're clearly in the wrong for having gotten him kicked out in the first place (despite his "delightful" personality and departure post), my vote goes with Lord94.
I agree with this decision completely.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
That is just about when the fandom started to suck, and it sucked so well that I even knew it. (I have to assume that you did, but have you ever heard of the famous HP-fic "My Immortal"? And have you ever actually read it?)

Oh yes, the painfully bad HP fic involving every cliche in the book? Yep. I've gone through a few chapters before wandering off, although I should really read the rest. (I could use something to drown my sorrows, and I can't buy alcohol until September. Oh God, I'm old. Oh God, the fic I will write when I'm drunk.)

Wasn't it, as it turns out, supposed to be a parody, or am I thinking of something else?

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Well, he can speak to snakes in a different language, pick up a famous wizarding sport as if he was genetically engineered to play it, get away with almost anything in school because he's buddy-buddy with the headmaster, and face off against the world's most powerful wizard and come out triumphant (while scoring with his best friend's beautiful sister). But yeah, the galaxy-wide best selling books sorta trumps all this. WTF, no one can do that!

Oh, but considering the fact that humans are the only intelligent life in the universe as far as we know, technically any worldwide bestseller is a galaxy-wide *shot'ed before sentence is finished*

And Yamato can't come back, because he forgot to curse me out in his last message. It was like he denied my existence. XD

Lord94? I know him IRL, oddly enough. He basically told me one day, and was all WTB about how I got to be a reviewer in the now-defunct BIN O' DEAD FICS. It was kind of funny... he said something about how he thought he was "writing for idiots" or something along those lines, and he got it wrong. I think I said something about not assuming that he could get away with writing shoddy work about a children's video game, or something along those lines. Er... yeah, MY VOTE WITH LORD94. XD

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
Years

Actually, yes. I read a fan fiction over on IGN and at first thought it was amazing, but a few years later I read the same thing and realized that it wasn't as great as I first thought. The writer was rather cocky and portrayed the main character a little too perfectly. I couldn't even bring myself to finish the story since I had stopped reading it about halfway through.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Erm, you guys know there's another thread for that sort of thing, right?

Also, giant prehistoric Venusaur... from ten years ago? Buh? O_o

Lastly...

Thesis said:
It was kind of funny... he said something about how he thought he was "writing for idiots" or something along those lines, and he got it wrong.

XD Wow. He didn't look around at the other fics to determine that, no, we're not a bunch of idiots? I mean, granted, we have our fair share of badfic (because it's virtually impossible to have an internet fic archive without some), but really.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys, I finished up chapter four of my fan fiction story.

Krome finds the forest that Blaine mentioned and while he was in a trainer battle with a bug catcher a giant prehistoric Venasaur appears. Later on, Blaine sees that the solarbeam was from a Venasaur, he swam over there with his Gyarados. When he arrived just in time, he saw that the Venasaur was his creation ten years ago.

Hey, the Fan Fiction announcement thread is a little lonely. Maybe you should shift this post there, cool?

Anyway:

What's the weirdest/most random thing you've ever seen in a fic? Could be funny or just plain stupid.

ShadowHoundoom

Shade isn't what he seems...
Years
What's the weirdest/most random thing you've ever seen in a fic? Could be funny or just plain stupid.

Professor [insert-random-tree-name-here].

What's the strangest comment someone's left you?

I couldn't tell what it was, but I'm almost positive they posted it either drunk or baked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back