• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blue hack: Pokemon Blue Kaizo: Update 4.5 (Very challenging experience)

How Kaizo was this?

• Definately Kaizo

Votes: 162 60.9%
  • Fairly challenging

Votes: 28 10.5%
  • Entertaining

Votes: 28 10.5%
  • Remove Flash HM from Rock Tunnel for unremovable flash

Votes: 58 21.8%
  • Unfair

Votes: 36 13.5%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
Pokémon Blue Kaizo

BlueKaizoTitle_zpseef0c6f9.png

Links: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2277/
They cannot tell the difference between a rom and an ips. New safer location.

Introduction and Features

Here is a hack of Pokemon Blue, where storywise, Blue Kaizo is faithful to the original pokemon blue. Gameplaywise, it is compared to the original, considerably more challenging, with enemies having better rosters, movepools, as well as more diverse, where you can catch all 151 pokemon throughout the game, with great variety early on.

My inspiration for rom hacking came from Drayano60's Firered Omega hack, which made this possible. Blue Kaizo has been distributed across youtube, with the aforementioned modified changes. However, this one is an official update, with more polished challenges. Pokemon Stadium has been my favorite pokemon game, which has inspired some boss rosters.

ViridianForest_zps9f825550.png
MtMoon_zps4222c402.png

But its not just trainers that have been modified; many areas have been changed, such as viridian forest. Movepools have been altered for all 151 pokemon, so you can catch pokemon with new level up movepools.

Bulbasaur_zpsa7e6e1e8.png
Charmander_zpsc88e46a9.png
Squirtle_zps1bae6b8d.png

You can catch wild starters at the left of Viridian City, if you ever wanted a full team of starters.

Fire types like vulpix, growlithe, and ponyta, gets flamethrower around level 16, the same level where charmander evolves into charmeleon.

There are more water types, like krabby, poliwag, psyduck, around the viridian forest. And there are additional grass types oddish and bellsprout, with very useful and unique moves compared to bulbasaur, for diversity. Many of them evolve much earlier than the original, some about the same time as the starters, while others, around level 20.

Pokemart_zps37114313.png

All of these pokemon are very easy to catch, due to improved catch rates, and pokeballs with lowered prices.

PewtwerPokemart_zpsac6d3e9c.png

The encounter rate is very high, in many areas, and the levels go at a steady pace, so grinding isn't an issue. Of course, if encountering many pokemon is a problem for you, you can repels as early as pewter city, and they are much cheaper as well.

You can get different evolution stones when you reach Mt. Moon, getting stronger pokemon, not just the starters.

RockTunnelDark_zps968ae881.png
FlashHM_zps7dddd705.png
RockTunnelFlash_zpsedcab76f.png

In addition, this new update also has HM05 flash, unlike the original Blue Kaizo, so you don't have to blindly wander the new layout of Rock Tunnel, or cheat for flash.

ViridianGym_zpsfe4e5fbe.png
ViridianGymTrainer_zps7200417f.png

Erikateam_zps1581fa41.png

As mentioned before, pokemon gyms are much tougher. Early on, the gym leaders only use four pokemon, but nearly halfway, you will encounter gym leaders with a full team of six, with five powerful rosters relative to their type theme, and one wildcard to add diversity to the boss fights. Gym trainers are a bit more diverse however, and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Pokedex149_zps8b95296b.png

Finally, you can catch 151 pokemon, but to actually succeed in this task, you will have to beat the whole game, since there are some pokemon only available late game and post game.

This first gen pokemon hack is more than nuzlockable, so the difficulty isn't extremely high, it is on par with a difficulty hacks such as Firered Omega.

Important Boss Teams
Spoiler:

Well, I hope you have fun with Pokemon Blue Kaizo!

http:http://www.mediafire.com/download/c66erjogngihtj6/Pokemon+-+Blue+Kaizo+Version+(UE)+[S][!].ips

No Revives or Max Revives during battles

Just like Crystal Kaizo, Pokemon Vega, Touhoumon Lunatic, revives and max revives don't work during battles, as you can see below.

Don't panic, they do work outside of battles.

Credits
Miksy91 – For some help with hex editing
IIMarkus – For the amazing Red Disassembly as a resource.
Danny-E 33 – For some help with editing the title screen.
Swampert22- For the amazing swampert tools, which really really helped make things much quicker and more convenient for me to edit.
Stag019 – For help in changing the pokemon obtained by the good rod, and the super rod.
Comet - for many ingame mechanics of battle system and revives. (as well as Crystal for Blue specifically)
And myself – for spending some time planning, developing, experimenting, and playtesting Pokemon Blue Kaizo

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 10, 2017
I've seen this hack a couple of times on youtube. I really like what I saw, if I am to play Generation 1 again, this would most definitely be the game I'd play.

Is this version of the game much easier than the previous and do levels still go all the way up to 100?

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
Leveling up and catching pokemon is made easier, but the bosses after Lt.Surge are much harder than before, especially the elite four, which houses a surprise, which is all I'm going to say.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 24, 2020
When I encounter the legendary birds they are Dittos. What is happening?

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
Important Notice:
Yeah, I have to make a notice right now. I'm aware people have downloaded pokemon blue kaizo. However, out of 800 downloads, the only time I found out that there was literally no water in one of the routes, yet swimmers are "swimming" on land, the only time I found out was because of literally ONE let's play of the updated version (a german one at that), while everyone else was still doing the un-updated version. Which means I have to make yet another update.

HOWEVER! The update won't come immediately, because right now, I'm trying to figure out how to edit certain aspects of the updated version that need to be updated. If successful, I would have to spend an enormous amount of time managing the leveling curve.

Seriously, I wish you guys had notified me about this, assuming anyone actually bothered to play through the update the whole way. I literally found out today, and I am pressed for time. This means a considerable of work for me.

Hopefully when the newest update comes, it will have some attention. Until then, keep an eye out, for those who haven't played through the entire thing.

Edit: Confirmed. There will be an update, though it took me a very long time to figure out how to change one aspect of the game that plagues all difficulty hacks. Only those who are experts at pokemon will figure that one out. I still have to work on level curves, some map edits, and mart edits. But you can expect another update.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
UPDATE!
12/28/14

I have finally updated pokemon blue kaizo. Major changes are level curve (all trainers have changed in levels and some have pokemon changes). I also made yet another playtest, making sure everything works.

I have also changed numerous mart items, and I have fixed the map at the sea routes, so that swimmers are actually in the water.

Another factor is that I have changed a certain mechanic that I won't go into detail, but it ensures that the game doesn't get drastically easier.

Now for those that are curious about the .jar file, I am still investigating this, as I intend to make some additional modifications for mobile cell phone users only.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
No Revive/Max Revive during battle Update

Just like Crystal Kaizo (which has also been updated), Blue Kaizo has been updated so that one map oversight is fixed, Blaine is improved, some minor improvements, and disabling certain items to make the game truly "Kaizo"

Basically, you lose one pokemon during battle, you cannot bring it back until the battle is over. There is a level of skill involved here not found in the previous updates. Just like Pokemon Vega and Touhoumon Lunatic. Here is the first gen equivalent. Second gen equivalent is Crystal Kaizo.

Anyway, hope you enjoy, and be sure to spread the word about this update.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
Here is a small update to Pokemon Blue Kaizo, the pokemon in the ending credits have been changed, and there are some minor map edits for presentation, and fixing a couple of oversights.

And yes, I actually had to beat the elite four AND Champion several times just to check this. No mewtwos or other legendaries either. I didn't really lose any pokemon apart from the few critical hit hax, but I had to tread carefully with them, and make sacrifices.

If you are doing a nuzlocke, whats going to kill you are critical hits in the elite four and champion, so you might need to accommodate with some kind of Critical Hit clause considering it's gen 1. (Of course, the crits came from something with low base speed).

Also, save your rare candies until after Sabrina, since leveling up at that stage is going to be a bit slow.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
Okay SHF, I finished your challenge. http://m.imgur.com/g2FpQez

Am I sane enough to try Crystal Kaizo?

Don't even bother. The game is impossible to beat. I even used Gameshark codes to make Mewtwo, Tyranitar, and Ho-Oh my starters. I even made them all hold Lucky Eggs. I even modified their movesets to include moves they wouldn't otherwise learn. I even gave myself 198 Full Restores. I even gave myself 99x of each X Item. I even gave myself infinite money. The game's not Kaizo; it's just impossible. It's just impossible. And the encounter rates in some places are unheard of... running into a Pokémon every 3-4 steps. Don't get me wrong, I love the Kaizo series, but I feel like this game still needs work. It's not Kaizo; it's impossible.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
I wouldn't go so far to say its impossible:

You just gotta really think outside the box with the enemies, and having a bit of knowledge about the enemy pokemon helps.

Some general tips are having repels, and on areas with those pesky lv 100s, patience, some speedup and smoke balls (which you can get before encountering level 100s). And held items also helps out alot. And sometimes, you gotta shift your pokemon parties, and it is beneficial to catch alot of pokemon.

There is a walkthrough text file that can give tips on the postgame and near endgame to help make the seemingly impossible crystal kaizo not impossible on the Crystal Kaizo page.

Lord Arkadios

PKMN Trainer Zalkari
Years
I once was playing this from somewhere. I got to Cerulian City and went into the gym and I was met with a lv 98 Gyrados by the first trainer. Was that normal? o_O

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
I once was playing this from somewhere. I got to Cerulian City and went into the gym and I was met with a lv 98 Gyrados by the first trainer. Was that normal? o_O

Definitely not. Should be seaking around level 24. It's best to play the Blue Kaizo version you see here, when it is up to date.

Unless you confused this hack with Intense Indigo, which has significantly more differences.

Lord Arkadios

PKMN Trainer Zalkari
Years
Makes sense, probably that was why I was puzzled. Well then, I will definitely be playing. I peeked at Crystal Kaizo and I am actually impressed. I look forward to play more of your creations. :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
Excuse me but could you tell me where to find the Super Rod? I haven't been able to find it on Route 12. I would like to catch a Staryu since it'd be a good addition to my team.
Amazing hack by the way, the Lavender to the Bike Road segment was brilliant. I'll definitely play the Crystal one once I'm done with this.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
Excuse me but could you tell me where to find the Super Rod? I haven't been able to find it on Route 12. I would like to catch a Staryu since it'd be a good addition to my team.
Amazing hack by the way, the Lavender to the Bike Road segment was brilliant. I'll definitely play the Crystal one once I'm done with this.

You will be able to get the good rod after beating Blaine. The rod is in the last gym.

Back