• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ideas & Feedback for BTB & Battle Server

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Ideas & Feedback for BTB & Battle Server
The purpose of this thread is simple: discuss what we can do to improve PC's battling community. In other words, this is a meta thread.

• If this thread's most recent post is older than one month, you may still post.

Last edited:

srinator

I could help with the viability rankings thread, I have already made the basic structure with all the Oras mons a few weeks ago, I just need people who would be ready to write about how these threats works and we would be good. Something like anti and elf's old viability rankings thread really helped newcomers etc.

Also I would say the battle server needs a better staff/promotion structure. Basically no one person should have the power to promote anyone without prior discussion or just to flex power, some people might be okay with being promoted that way but some would really not.

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
Years
First of all, glad to see a soul sister of this thread and I think a lot of issues people brought up there have improved, though some are still relevant. Will be as brief as possible, but this will be long anyway. lol.

The server atmosphere and commitment to battling have both gotten better, though I think the former has made a little more progress than the latter. Some of the initiatives that came up in the old thread exist now like the building workshop and the building competition, and they seem to be going well. I think the direction is good, though the divide between battlers and non (including people who only play randoms in this category) is still there.

A PC League Aggregate. First and foremost, it would be a directory for all of PC's leagues. Various events could be hosted, like a monthly war tournament between the leagues. Initially we could have one or two "chief leagues," which would be given official status on the battle server. If we have more leagues in the future, the aforementioned monthly tournament could be used to decide which are the chief leagues. This is already in the works, but feedback is welcome.

I think this is a fine idea, but...where are our leagues? I think their structure and purpose should be fleshed out a little more before proceeding. I have things to say about that, but did you want to speak to that at all first? If it's unclear what I'm getting at, we have "the wet league." What is this? Is it a joke? I legitimately don't know. I'm not trying to be malicious: I just don't get why it exists. Don't we need leagues before there is an infrastructure? Who would run them? etc.

We already have an ORAS Team Building Workshop, but more could possibly be done.
◦ Collaborate and make our own general guide on battling, particularly on team synergy and battle strategy.
◦ Provide a discussion/resource on what Pokemon we would recommend in the current metagame, similar to Smogon's viability rankings.

The first idea is intriguing and seems to effectively serve the purpose of what past suggestions--tutoring in particular--have been trying to get at. I don't see the need to rewrite the battle strategy one because there is a good one on Smogon that you link to in the Rules. Team synergy is more difficult though I could work this into the Workshop op. Synergy is like poetry - you know it when you see it, but it is quite difficult to describe and define. We can obviously try though.

To the second point, I'll c&p from the last iteration of this thread:

Anti said:
I think an OU threat list would be nice. Just a simple "huge threats / notable threats / niche threats" organization with basic typing/abilities/common movesets listings would be great, perhaps in the following format as an example:

[mini sprite, like the ones in the viability ranking threads on smogon]
LANDORUS [link to smogon analysis]
Ground / Flying
89 / 125 / 90 / 115 / 80 / 101
Sheer Force / Sand Force
Notable Attack Moves: Earth Power, Focus Blast, Psychic, Knock Off, Sludge Wave, Hidden Power [Ice]
Notable Set-Up Moves: Calm Mind, Rock Polish
Notable Support Moves: Stealth Rock
Checks: Specially Defensive Gliscor, Assault Vest Tornadus-T, Azumarill (RK), Mega Charizard Y, Chansey, Keldeo (RK), Thundurus (RK), Greninja (RK)

Short, sweet, and to the point, though it's pretty rough and is probably more optimally done some other way, maybe with a moveset focus but the point is that this might be nice. Also listing Pokemon and what Pokemon they check would be cool. (For example, on that list, Keldeo's entry would show that it checks Bisharp, Mega Tyranitar, Heatran, Landorus, Mega Mawile, etc.) We should have some kind of resource though, again for teambuilding help.

Is this what you mean by a resource? Would take an effort but wouldn't be too undoable.

As for viability rankings, the post quality in Smogon's thread is actually pretty bad but it might be better here without all the randos. What specifically did you have in mind? (You mentioned "similar to" and I'm not sure what this means exactly.)

◦ A thread where people can post their battle replays and ask for critique on how they played.
◦ It goes without saying that more tournaments would help with this. Perhaps a ladder tournament where people have to use one of three given Pokemon. It would get people out of their comfort zone and widen their perspectives on what's viable.
◦ A tutor program could be always considered, but the lack of available tutors and heavy reliance on the tutors' activity are both major problems. I think it's something that would be better to do later.

I'm really in favor of the first proposal. As it stands now, I think the current replay thread is terrible and should not be a sticky or perhaps removed altogether. Way too many "LOL LOOK AT THIS BAD PLAYER" posts. I think it might be cool to do what you've proposed as a replacement for the thread that exists now where you can either showcase a good battle *or* ask for help. It could get a little crowded, but it seems like a far better system than the one in place currently.

On the tournaments front, I want to quote Vrai's post from the last thread:

Vrai said:
I had one idea in particular that I wanted to share with you all: Smogon has a ton of official tournaments, and it could be a pretty great idea for everyone here to work together as a team to improve and try to perform well in these. Don't team share, but practice with each other. Aspire to succeed, and when people see that x person has made great strides, others might be more inclined to try with us next time too. Learn from everyone else, practice with everyone else, get better with everyone else, and be proud of everyone who did better than they did before. Sounds pretty good to me.

The UU ladder race is a small nudge in this direction, and I think it'd be awesome to do. One thing though is I'm not really sure our playerbase is at a point where they can actually do well in these things. This is where removing barriers of entry comes in, obviously. To that end, again from the last thread:

wolf said:
Battle Dojo: An event that encourages people to improve their battling skills. Two major aspects of it: a) try to get as high as possible on Smogon's ladder (perhaps while using a specific Pokemon?), and b) after practicing on the ladder, everyone battles each other in a tournament finale. Can split everyone into teams to spice things up.

We might want to gear this more toward newer players though, perhaps by setting ladder benchmarks (as easy as "get into the 1500s. the 1700s." etc.) since topping the ladder is outside most of our reaches. I would also be down for smaller tours that don't require a lot of commitment from a building perspective (lower tier tour, ou tour with a ban of megas, ou minus hazards, ou minus uturn/voltswitch, etc.) that would be fun and easy.

Tutoring is a no-go imo for the reasons you mentioned.

On the topic of tutoring/barriers of entry though, I just wonder how many people who aren't Archer and Sri are really invested in playing if we provided that infrastructure? I think it's an important question to ask...

Last thing which is unrelated to the OP and will be pretty long so it's in a spoiler:

Spoiler:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
@Anti: Zeffy is working on a detailed OU threatlist actually. There's not much to it atm, but it's in the works.

I suppose my main problem with things the way they are now is that there's this separation between people who go on the server and people who go on the forum. There's very few people who are active on both the server and in the BTB forum itself. There's just few active regulars on the forum part, but then there's all these people who frequent the server who I think should get there asses down here and do things beyond the DCC, Counter That Pokemon, and this kind of discussion thread. Idk about the rest of you, but the fact that the same few people+random people you only ever see like once a year are the only ones posting is kinda bad. I'll admit that I'm a part of that problem too, since I'm on the forum a lot but rarely get on the server.

/incoherent rant

I do think that things have gotten better since the last time we discussed all this though.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Really, I can even say that BTB is one of the most quiet sections out here. We need to make more events and tournaments here, Not on the server. I'm down for making a couple of those.

Hosting a tournament is really easy, to be very honest. I think think it is important to reiterate that anyone can host tournaments. Just post your idea/thread in the approval forum and wait for either wolf or I to comment and approve your thread. As much as I would like to host more tournaments, university takes up most of my time at the moment and I can really only devote the weekends to other stuff.

What I am trying to say is that if you want more forum tournaments then do not rely on either wolf or I to host them for you all of the time.

@Anti: Zeffy is working on a detailed OU threatlist actually. There's not much to it atm, but it's in the works.

This is true, however I might postpone continuing progress on it since I am very busy at the moment. If anyone else wants to make an OU Threatlist, then be my guest! :)

I suppose my main problem with things the way they are now is that there's this separation between people who go on the server and people who go on the forum. There's very few people who are active on both the server and in the BTB forum itself. There's just few active regulars on the forum part, but then there's all these people who frequent the server who I think should get there asses down here and do things beyond the DCC, Counter That Pokemon, and this kind of discussion thread. Idk about the rest of you, but the fact that the same few people+random people you only ever see like once a year are the only ones posting is kinda bad. I'll admit that I'm a part of that problem too, since I'm on the forum a lot but rarely get on the server.
The server and BTB are very different environments. While BTB seems like a place where level-headed conversations can be held, the server is very, very different. Most people who visit the server are not even battlers nor active members of PC's forum. Saying that the server regulars should "get their asses" to BTB is like forcing a rock down their throat--they will not like it.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
The server and BTB are very different environments. While BTB seems like a place where level-headed conversations can be held, the server is very, very different. Most people who visit the server are not even battlers nor active members of PC's forum. Saying that the server regulars should "get their asses" to BTB is like forcing a rock down their throat--they will not like it.
I get that the server and BTB are different environments, it's just that.....you'd think that people who frequent a battle server would have some interest in a forum section that's about battling too. Or am I crazy or something?

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that BTB needs more people in it. It's really no fun, and sometimes unhelpful, when it's just the same few people in here. It shouldn't be just Platinum doing most of the Team Help threads or Anti and Elf providing most of the help in the Workshop. Yeah, we can try to attract other people from elsewhere on PC, but there's also plenty of perfectly good people on the battle server too.

But uh thanks for letting us know that we all can host events in here. I was never sure if we could or not and probably wasn't the only one who thought that.

Years
Not sure what everyone thinks but I think it would be cool if we did something like the battle factory in D/P/PT. In the battle factory, you're given 3 random pokemon at first, and if you win the battle, you have the option to switch out 1 pokemon you are currently renting from a choice of 3 more. Of course, this comes complete with a summary. Or you can opt to stay with what you have. I think this would be awesome as a sort of tournament type of event and the winner of the tournament gets a prize. Would be even better if you could make it by tiers. Therefore, if you choose OU, you could only rent OU pokes.

Detox

I might as well throw in my two cents. I haven't been on PC or the server in a while, and I've only recently began to start hanging around again. However, I have noticed that a few of the same issues that were pointed out in the past are still here. I'll try to keep this as short as possible, but it may end up being long, idk.

In the past, the server atmosphere was sort of…horrible lol. There were a lot of contributing factors to this (hell, I was probably one of them lol), but honestly, it was never the fault of a single person. A lot of the times the server was treated as just a basic chatroom instead of what it actually was: a battle server. I am in no way shape form or fashion saying that chat pertaining to subjects other than competitive Pokémon is bad, or shouldn't be allowed, but at times it was just a bit ridiculous. People could come in asking for battles or team advice, and they would get completely ignored. If not, their messages would get swept away by a flood of messages about some random subject like someone's favorite flavor of ice cream. Yeah that sucked. I can say that since I've been back the atmosphere is a lot better, and there is a lot more competitive Pokémon talk (and battling!) than in the past, probably due to DA and Anti, not to mention the fact that tournaments are held like every hour or so. Even the majority of the server staff battle now (or at least try their best), so that's a huge plus as well. With that in mind, I have to say that sometimes the previously mentioned situation still happens, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

As far as the forum goes, I am trying to (and need to) invest more time into it myself, but I'm doing what I can while I have this backbreaker of a schedule at uni. Though, I do have a few qualms when it comes to certain things. One of the things I'll talk about is rating teams. Do note that this isn't a shot at anyone, but I feel that this needs to be addressed. I really think that there should be a guide or set of guidelines that informs those who want to rate teams of how to well…properly rate. A lot of times when I look at an RMT, there is actually very little advice being given, and just a lot of c+ping movesets from Smogon. While using a standard Smogon moveset is fine and dandy, a person won't really get anything useful out of someone saying "USE THIS" unless you thoroughly break it down and tell them why they should use it, why what they are using should be replaced, and so on. If a guidelines aren't your thing, then perhaps there can be a team rating workshop that gives a team out every week or so, and requires users to point out flaws in said team. It could be run similarly to the team building competition, but this is just a thought.

Another thing regarding team rating is the lack of participation (if you want to call it that, idk how to word it man) of the person who's team is getting rated. Of the few times I have rated teams since being back, I usually give a rate and then well…the thread dies. The user who posted the RMT doesn't come back and give any input or opinions on the rates that were given, and that's sort of a bummer to me. It'd be nice if people could at least give feedback to people who do rate so that they can figure out if their rate was helpful.

With all of that being said, that's it for now. If I need to say anything else I'll most likely make another post because I'm 90% sure I forgot something.

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
Years
On RMTs:

Spoiler:

On server/forum relationship:

Spoiler:

On events:

Spoiler:

Draft of ladder idea:

Spoiler:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Oh yeah one little thing I was thinking of....stickies. There's currently 8 stickies for BTB. I'm fine with a section having a lot of stickies, but since we're now creating more community resources and events and things that could be stickyed, should we start reorganizing them and stuff? At the very least the current replays thread should be un-stuck and replaced with the replays thing Anti suggested.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2020
I'd like to offer a bit of my opinion here, I'm going to be honest and say that I'm pretty positive not many people know me on this forum since I just came back a while ago (hopefully that changes), but I think I've been getting a better feel of how the community works and this sub-forum works, etc. so hopefully my contribution could help.

I think there should be some sort of re-vamp or emphasis on certain guidelines.
Looking at the guidelines, you can notice this:
Spoiler:

I feel like this is blatantly overlooked by many people who post RMT's and thus it can be difficult to actually rate the team when the person doesn't specify what each Pokemon does for their team, and rather just pastes it from a Pokemon Showdown import. It seems really common and more likely with people who log on once & then never again, and while not much can be done about that, emphasis on this rule/guideline could be enforced to promote quality responses. Because unless it's obvious what the Pokemon does, again, it's just a copy and pasting of their team and expecting the community to just re-make the team. For example, can't people explain what Pokemon they would like to keep, their team building process, roles for each specific Poke, why they chose each move-set and what they have the most trouble with? Maybe even some replays of some of their best or worst battles, and what they could improve on. If they don't, a mod could message them and direct them to the guidelines so that they can post a proper RMT thread. it seems kind of lenient to be honest.
On that note, I've seen pretty minimal participation in general in these forums, and it's pretty much just the same few people.

I like the idea of the League Directory, it'll definitely be useful.
Would clans be able to work out? I'm not sure how successful they were in the past, so maybe someone could fill me in. It could start off with a tournament of top 5/top 3 clans. I've always liked the idea of clans because they promote working together with people whether it's team building or just practicing, and if a tournament were to be made there'd be more incentive to make a clan. It'd promote more competitiveness too.

Detox

Alright well I know this doesn't happen that often, but when it does it's sort of…restricting and annoying. Sometimes a troll or whatever finds their way to the server, and sometimes they evade the bans within seconds and someone throws on a modchat rank. Instead of being forced to do this, is there any other option that can be used that doesn't prevent 90% of the users online from talking when it is set to a rank higher than autoconfirmed? Also, genuinely curious, but isn't the bot supposed to stop these sort of things from happening?

srinator

Yeah you could promote regulars and trusted individuals to a certain invisible rank and a type of restricted chat can be set up during massive trolling spree's. So people who actually talk don't get bothered and u don't have promote people temporarily, also a rule where if ur the only mod on and u have to leave put in a modchat, auto confirmed p much sucks and is useless ;/

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
This post is really long so I'm putting it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
3. I already know what answer I'll get to this ("we already do this") but absentee staff should be removed. D_A's old post sums up my feelings nicely. The most minor of these points, but I might as well echo these sentiments while I'm on the topic.

i was gonna say this but that was before i knew anti and da already said it basically, i agree with this tidbit here. (i agree with a lot of other things also, great suggestions etc) but anyways, it feels quite annoying to me to see mods or admins come on the server that i've literally seen online once before, just because they're (s)mods on the forum. i feel like the server should be more separate from the forum than that, or something. other than that i don't have much to add.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
i was gonna say this but that was before i knew anti and da already said it basically, i agree with this tidbit here. (i agree with a lot of other things also, great suggestions etc) but anyways, it feels quite annoying to me to see mods or admins come on the server that i've literally seen online once before, just because they're (s)mods on the forum. i feel like the server should be more separate from the forum than that, or something. other than that i don't have much to add.
No worries, we're handling it.

As for super mods though, the battle server is affiliated with PC so smods and admins are given ownership of it. This something you would have to bring up with them.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Also, genuinely curious, but isn't the bot supposed to stop these sort of things from happening?

Short answer: it isn't. The bot acts as a safety net to catch things that are otherwise overlooked by the mods. The bot is actually very lenient compared to the one that main is using, and the primary reason we added it is to take auto ban blacklisted (permabanned) users.

Years
For developing the skills of battlers-
I have read about a certain program known as "Battling 101"on smmogon forums.Here experienced battlers mentor noobs and help on every aspect of battling.They chat via skype or IRC(I don't know what's IRC,lol),
If you want more info check smogon!
I could have given you a link but I don't know if it's allowed!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
For developing the skills of battlers-
I have read about a certain program known as "Battling 101"on smmogon forums.Here experienced battlers mentor noobs and help on every aspect of battling.They chat via skype or IRC(I don't know what's IRC,lol),
If you want more info check smogon!
I could have given you a link but I don't know if it's allowed!
We have discussed a mentor system before, but the problem with it here is lack of commitment from the mentees and/or the mentors. Not to mention that we just don't have nearly as large of a battling community as Smogon.

And you can post links btw. You just need to have more than 15 posts, which you do.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
This is my first time posting in this forum as a whole so if I'm in the wrong place to propose this then please slap me on the wrist and scold me because I really don't know better:

I was pondering this thought the other day on the server when someone - I forget their name unfortunately - brought up this interesting suggestion that I think was overlooked. As of now, their is a shop in which people can buy certain perks (very cool by the way) ranging from avatars to customized titles and so on and so forth. The only way in which a person can get BP's or the currency for the shop is via winning tournaments.

The key word I want to focus on is winning. The Battle Server has it's fair share of great battlers. You've got Dark Azelf, srinator, the mods, etc. etc., and more likely than not they'll have a better chance of winning the entire tournament. As the spoils only go to the supreme victor, this can be pretty disheartening for new users who have either just joined the server or are looking to garb themselves in shop perks.

What I'd like to propose is a system which awards people on winning battles in tournaments. What this would mean is that you don't have to win the entire tournament to earn BPs for the shop. With each battle that you do win, you earn a single BP. This way, there is still a way for average battlers to access the shop's perks and hopefully an increase in satisfaction with the server as a whole. In retrospect, you can eliminate the first place prize as the BPs the overall winner gets will more over equal what they would have gotten anyways with the current system. Tournament wins can still show in the user's profile.

That's about it for my two cents. I'm going to visit this forum a lot more because personally I need to get more into battling and this is a good place to access it. Let me know what y'all think of this, because I personally think it would be a good idea to boost morale on the server (not saying that it necessarily needs to be boosted because it's low, but it will create an even better feeling than the one there now.)

Back