• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Gen 4 or Gen 5 style

remer

The Warrior
Years
Hello.I am developing a pokemon rpg game.But i am having a difficult choice with the overworld graphic style.Which style is better,gen 5 or gen 4? First i thought about making a gen 4 styled one but them,i felt that gen 5 was better.So can anyone give me an advice on which to take?

Last edited:

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
Years
Gen IV. So beautifull to see each square pixel in the sprite LOL (i said that cuz im draw someones).
And EBS by Luka, OMG!
So nice!
PS: Without sprite moviment. Static yet...

Attachments

• awesome.png
    awesome.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 6, 2022
I like gen 4. I feel like it perfectly captures the art of 2d and it?s very clean. Gen 5 seems a bit awkward to me with the sprite style, also all of the follow Pokemon are based off of HGSS so they pair better with that, and you can get away with using some gen 5 map tiles with gen 4 sprites, you can?t really do it the other way around because gen 5 is so much bigger

remer

The Warrior
Years
I think that gen 4 and gen 5 are almost similar except that the perspective is more 3d looking in gen 5.But overworlds are totally dependent on what the players like.So i wanted to know more opinions on what you all like gen 4 style ow or gen 5 style.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
Years
I think that gen 4 and gen 5 are almost similar except that the perspective is more 3d looking in gen 5.But overworlds are totally dependent on what the players like.So i wanted to know more opinions on what you all like gen 4 style ow or gen 5 style.

About overworld, i keep to gen 4 yet. 3D for house, streets, water etc... For me? i dont like it.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
Years
Oh,now i get what you mean.

For me, its better to "my eye" and my childhood (LOL) to play a game with these tilesets 2D :D

And NPCs like Platinum/ HGSS style, not like BW2 (with 'big arms' etc)...

Henry_PokeMaker

HeyHeyHenry
Years
Never go with gen 5 Overworld sprites in RMXP gen 5 sprites is good in the 3D world of BW but is not good in the 2D world of RMXP it will look like aliens

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
tbh, I started with 4, but then realized it was too simple...needed more details.

Any style can work, it just depends on personal preference or which style resonates with your story? Gen 5 allows for larger, more realistic buildings and set pieces while Gen 4 is more compressed with brighter colors and simpler palettes. Gen 5 has a better sense of false 3d than gen 4. So it all depends on what you're going for. If you don't have a preference on character style, go with what your region demands. You can have just a many unique terrains in 4 as 5. 5 supports 2, 3, and 4 step cliffs unlike in 4 where you have to pancake the mountain levels.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
personally prefer gen 4. I love gen 3 for the nostalgia and thats what the base pokemon essentials comes with so thats what I chose for my game, Plus its much easier to make doors for houses with gen 3 style. But the trade off with smaller sprites is its hard to keep detail in smaller objects like furniture and items and such.
I hate gen5 and up. they ruined pokemon with those IMO.

FloofyPanthar

The guy that's making the thing
Years
I prefer gen 5 because the normal gen 4 characters look fat, and the fat gen 4 characters look morbidly obese. However, I do think that gen 4 characters are the way to go since they are not as tall and easier to work with.

remer

The Warrior
Years
Hey,thanks you guys.I see that gen 4 style is the more liked one.I also am a noob in 3d graphics so gen 4 will go for me.It's not that 3d ish but looks nice.But after i tried gen 5,i realised that it wont go well with me.I am slowly learning hot to sprite well,so it shouldn't be hard.Gen 3 is hard for ne cause it's too small and gen 5 is too large and needs much more details.But gen 4 seems miderate with nice colours and all.So thanks to all who replied.

Back