• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Land vs. The Sea

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Spr_RS_Team_Magma_Grunt_F.png
Spr_RS_Team_Aqua_Grunt_F.png

Basically polar opposites, Team Aqua and Magma are the villans from Gen III. Team Magma wants to use the power of Groudon to make Hoenn more of a landscape, resulting in less water. Team Aqua wants to use the power of Kyogre to make Hoenn to flood, resulting in less land. Respectively, Magma is led by Maxie, and Aqua is led by Archie.

Which Villain Team did you appreciate the most? Which one had the better outfits, and which one had the better Admins/Boss? Any other thoughts, you can share em' here!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I prefer Magma

I should prefer Aqua, because of how reminiscent they are of pirates. I also like water better as a typing, and Kyogre over Groudon.

However, Ruby was my second Pokemon game ever, so I have stronger memories of it than Sapphire. I ended up preferring Maxie as a leader.

Last edited:
Years
my first hoenn game was emerald. this makes me think which of these two i prefer.
i think i'd go with team aqua. their plan to cover the world with seawater is actually threatening and archie imo is far more intimidating than maxie.

Years
I was all over Team Magma if only because I really loved their uniforms, even if I liked Kyogre better than Groudon. For whatever reason, I wasn't really vibing with the whole pirate theme of Team Aqua.

Years
When I was young I had Sapphire (and later bought Alpha Sapphire) so I prefer Aqua. I hate when the Sun is shining too much and I perspire. And not only Aqua wants to get rid of this annoying sun, they're also creating more beaches in the world. That alone can convince me to join them.
But I also have crush on Courtney, so Team Magma?

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I prefer Team Aqua because the plotline seemed to suit them more than Magma as an evil team. I mean, why on Earth would Magma snag a submarine and have a secret hideout which is built on water in Lilycove city?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I was always for Team Magma because they had better outfits and its fire types. (which is weird because I'm a Cancer and a crab...lol.)

Years
Aqua was my original preference since my first version was Sapphire, but I started liking Magma a lot more recently because the outfits are cute and Maxie is better than Archie imo haha. soo magma

Rixe

Space Charkie
Years
I had Sapphire when I was younger but really wished I'd gotten Ruby. Not sure why I didn't since my favourite colour is red and the exclusives in Ruby were way better to me. When I replay it, I play Ruby now for Zangoose gang.

I prefer Team Aqua because the plotline seemed to suit them more than Magma as an evil team. I mean, why on Earth would Magma snag a submarine and have a secret hideout which is built on water in Lilycove city?

Then they can use the onboard nuke and blow the sea up from the inside

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
I mostly played Ruby growing up, and I got Omega Ruby before getting Alpha Saphire. I like both teams, and Archie has a better design than Maxie, but I prefer Magma as a whole. I find their goal is more believable for a team of villains. Archie wants to cover the world in water for Pokemon. Alright... but humans aren't aquatic? It's been a while, but was his plan to just be pirates forever, not cover all the land, develop gills?

Maxie's goal was a little easier to swallow as a kid lol.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I adore Team Magma's outfits (red and complete with a hoodie my favorite things) so honestly I would join them just to wear it tbh. But when it comes to goals and better Leaders I'd have to say Archie over Maxie and Aqua over Magma for those.

Did like the Admins of Magma over the Aqua Admins though so there's that. Well, least in Gen III I think the admins in Gen VI are a little bit different so opinion might be a little different there.

Back