• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

What do you think about Steam?

Years
Ahh, steam, it has been one of the most used gaming platforms these days, despite being alive for 15 years, it's still used by many people around the globe.
I think my first steam experience was with team fortress 2, when i finally got to play online since it was f2p (yes i know it was in 2011 but i was simply lazy to install steam), i got to admit, that experience was fantastic, got to know both nice people and bad people, but it's common about online games, but anyways tf2 is the game that really throw me to know steam a bit (even if my account is still free and i don't have buyable items either)
Steam is really great imo.
But what do you think about it? Do you want some changes to it? What could have been better if you didn't had to pay just to add everyone and buy games? Do you struggle a lot to put money on steam and in it's games (or not)? Do you search free game keys just to not let your steam library empty?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 23, 2024
For the most part, I like the convenience of it. Games go on sale often enough so the prices aren't bad, and I like having everything in a neat, digital library.

I do hear of grievances here and there, but as a relatively casual player (compared to some who own thousands of games on Steam, that is) they don't really affect me enough to stop using Steam or dislike it.

pkmin3033

I have never had any particular issues with Steam. I am generally averse to digital purchases, because you're buying a license and not an actual product, but considering the prices and the frequent sales, I don't mind all that much in this case, and I have a couple of hundred games now thanks to it.

I do wish more games had controller support, though...and that less started in fullscreen mode.

TY

It's allright I suppose. New UI is awful as hell sales are neat having most games on one platform is neat.

I struggle not to put money on steam actually

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I detest Steam and everything it has done to PC gaming.

It's completely ruined the whole notion of having physical copies of PC games. That alone is worth contempt from me. Not to mention how they can balloon up prices due to their monopoly as well. I've never once seen a good deal on it, even during their 'sales'.

And now the consensus these days is you're a moron for preferring hard copies. Hard copies have never been a bad thing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 23, 2024
And now the consensus these days is you're a moron for preferring hard copies. Hard copies have never been a bad thing.
Is that a thing? I thought collector's editions and physical libraries are still things people are proud of, and I can see it - I just personally like the convenience of going digital, but like Dawn said, I can also see the downside of just owning a license and not a tangible product. Thankfully I have not had any issues with that, but I can understand how that can be a problem.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Is that a thing? I thought collector's editions and physical libraries are still things people are proud of, and I can see it - I just personally like the convenience of going digital, but like Dawn said, I can also see the downside of just owning a license and not a tangible product. Thankfully I have not had any issues with that, but I can understand how that can be a problem.

Unfortunately, it's an issue with all copies of PC games in general now. Due to extreme attempts to crackdown pirating, physical copies come with a code that is essentially one time use. It's even linked with a Steam account, so only you can play it.

This is fine if you have a friend and trust them with your information; they could install it and play themselves (at least I think, but it should work, even if they have to stay signed in). But that means good luck reselling it.
Like with non-refundable digital downloads (like Nintendo's E-shop), you're essentially stuck with them.

Compare that to a used GTA 3 PC copy I found at a yard sale circa 2001, just a few years ago for one dollar, put it in, started up like normal. Those days are long gone.

So in that case, I see the point of Steam; and at least they offer refunds too. (At least I think; I'm not sure if just any game can be refunded), but I've noticed more and more, the gaming community becoming very hostile towards people who just want physical copies.

When I was browsing a couple games I wanted, I found a few topics on Yahoo answers and other such forums from people asking the same. Rather than "Sorry, they don't exist", you get responses akin to "LOL GRANDPA, GET WITH THE TIMES. WHO WANTS PHYSICAL NOW? JUST USE STEAM"

Totally unwarranted. So now you're attacked literally because you like having a display piece or might need the physical aspect. That makes me a lot angrier than anything else.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 23, 2024
When I was browsing a couple games I wanted, I found a few topics on Yahoo answers and other such forums from people asking the same. Rather than "Sorry, they don't exist", you get responses akin to "LOL GRANDPA, GET WITH THE TIMES. WHO WANTS PHYSICAL NOW? JUST USE STEAM"

Totally unwarranted. So now you're attacked literally because you might just like having a display piece or might need the physical aspect. That makes me a lot angrier than anything else.
Yeah, but then again, Yahoo Answers can be a bit of a cesspool sometimes anyway, lol.

I agree though, it's stupid to attack people for either preference. If I had the space (and wasn't so lazy that I always put games in the wrong cases), a game collection would be pretty cool imo.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I understand how people detest steam being a requirement to have in order to enjoy PC gaming nowadays, and oh boy how i miss just buying a hard copy of a game, then installing the game, and not worry about any online DRM bullcrap or something like that, or how steam handles it.

However i will say that the Mobile Authentication requirement in order for me to fully take advantage of the Marketplace is something i have a bit of issues with. I understand how Steam is very concerned about scammers but come on..

anyway, venting aside, I like Steam as a service when it comes to dem juicy sales but it still has flaws, and don't get me started on the numerous amounts of Asset Flipped crap that still infests steam unless I'm mistaken.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Steam is a bad software from my experience imo. It refuses to go offline most of the time, then complains whenever one can't get online.

Anything that automatically assumes that everyone has an internet connection or has a smartphone will not be supported by me.

Years
used to be on steam a lot, mostly to play terraria and binding of isaac....but it's been years now and i've stopped logging on. not much keeping me interested atm, since i'm already invested enough in ffxiv and mobile gaming. don't know anyone who actively plays anymore either, which i guess is a bit of a detriment to my own interest too?

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
i enjoy steam very much, i do wish however they put it on consoles. But computers are fine for now. Specially when consoles make you pay to use online services :/ and you can actually get games published to steam, not free but still.

Years
I love Steam. It's not perfect by any means but it's an extremely convenient way to get access a very diverse catalogue of games and then neatly store them in one place. The prices in general are good too, although not as ridiculously good as some might say in many cases and the sales are spectacular.

Perhaps the biggest contribution though is to indie developers who now have a much better platform for getting off the ground.

Back