• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Polygamy

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Is Polygamy really that bad? Most of the arguments I see against it are just because of religious beliefs or the general views around it in society today. But other cultures have it, and I don't think it would have any negative effects on society if it became more common

Lannios

me
Years
I think that it may reinforce the control men have over women in some cultures, mostly because it is kind of a way of saying that the woman is an object, to be used... Of course, in a place where respect is mutual, i wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I know a lot of people who do it, and while it's not for me, I don't judge how they want to live their lives.

I feel an intimate attachment with just one person as a lot more special, nor can I understand how you could possible divide that between others, but apparently it works for some.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Even with respect and love between a person and their many lovers, I just don't see how the person can have a deep connection with all of them. Seems like a glorified harem. But it's their life choice, I'm not against it but I find it odd.

Years
It's not something I'm personally comfortable with, and I kind of feel like a polygamous relationship is just begging for disaster. That being said, if other people can comfortably make a polygamous relationship work, more power to them I suppose.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
Look up "polygamist news" and see what the search engine churns out. There's a reason a bunch of horror stories pop up.

Years
I don't like it when it's forced, ie, men forcing many young girls to marry them, usually just to procreate.
Of course, there is systems where a woman has multiple husbands, which is galled polyandry

But if it's consensual, you are all adults, and you can handle it, I don't see a big problem.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I don't like it when it's forced, ie, men forcing many young girls to marry them, usually just to procreate.
Of course, there is systems where a woman has multiple husbands, which is galled polyandry

But if it's consensual, you are all adults, and you can handle it, I don't see a big problem.

Are there really different terms when it's applied to the opposite gender? I had never heard that before.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
Polygamy (and usually in the form of polygyny) as an institution seems to be rooted in and around control over women, or using marriage to multiple women as a status symbol. If we're talking about that I think it's fucked up and often abusive.

Polyamory as a concept however, I can understand. I was in an open/polyamorous relationship and it worked fine, but it wasn't for me. But if you have working, healthy polyamorous relationship, power to ya. Modern times and all that.

Lannios

me
Years
Polygamy (and usually in the form of polygyny) as an institution seems to be rooted in and around control over women, or using marriage to multiple women as a status symbol. If we're talking about that I think it's psyducked up and often abusive.

Polyamory as a concept however, I can understand. I was in an open/polyamorous relationship and it worked fine, but it wasn't for me. But if you have working, healthy polyamorous relationship, power to ya. Modern times and all that.

Yes, if the people involved in it can make it work it out, why stop'em.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Assuming there are no issues of consent and everyone involved is fine with it, I see no problem.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
The only reason that it's bad is because it's attached to the state and that comes with legal ramifications. For that reason it should never be legal. What should happen is that the government gets the fuck out of marriage altogether.

If it were simply religious, then who gives a shit? I personally think it's pretty stupid but if everyone involved wants to do so then so be it!

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I have no issues with polygamy. I don't find it that bad. If someone wants to be in a poly relationship, you have to be prepared for it. Both people have to be okay with it or it won't work.

I know people these days have a romantic partner while also having a qpp but idk if that's the same thing

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
One husband having so many wives has always felt oddly controlling to me, and sometimes some of the women are jealous and have to get used to it. I'm like, man, I would never be a part of that sort of thing. I personally like focusing on one person. It's difficult enough to really connect in a special way to one person, let alone eight.

Though, I used to be friends with some girls who were all poly and dating each other. There were three of them, and then four, and they lasted some months together until it created issues. I'm not gonna pretend to understand it, or ruin anyone else's good time, though. It doesn't personally bother me, as long as the people in the relationship are content and not forced into it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
It's a status symbol. The idea behind it is that the more money you have, the more money you have the more women you can entertain. The catch is that you need to treat them all equally. If you buy something for one of them, you have to be willing to do so for the others as well.

Afaik it has its roots in middle eastern regions where religion and state are still entangled with each other. It seems unlikely to fit into a society that advocates equality and the likes, as it is still a process of submission. If you're just one of many, you need to be alright with taking a step back and letting others get some of that limelight in your marriage.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
As with all relationships and interactions, consent = mandatory. Non-consensual polyamory is cheating.

Years
It doesn't affect me what others do but one person would be enough for me.

I do wonder how these men would feel if they were like me, unable to find a partner for over a decade.

Back