• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Dewgong: Victorty Road
Cloyster (catch as Shellder): Route 205 (Floaroma Town side), Valley Windworks, Fuego Ironworks (Fish with Super Rod)
Jynx: Snowpoint Temple (admittitely post-game)
Lapras: Victory Road
Weavile (catch as Sneasel): Routes 216 and 217, Acuity Lakefront, Lake Acuity, Snowpoint Temple
Mamoswine (catch as Swinub): Route 217, Acuity Lakefront
Glalie/Frosslass (catch as Snorunt): Route 216, Route 217, Acuity Lakefront, Lake Acuity (Night)
Walrein (catch Sealeo): Route 230 (also post-game)
Abomasnow (catch as Snover): Routes 216 and 217, Acuity Lakefront, Mt. Coronet peak
Glaceon (receive as Eevee): Gift from Bebe once the player arrives in Hearthome City,

That's 10 or 11 by my count, 8 or 9 of which can be obtained before the E4.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Dear LMFAO. Word up.
I have ultimate say and have already given my decision. Everyone else has provided evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. Further attempts to argue about an ice platinum run, which you aren't even doing, will result in a report to the mods. Thank you and good day.

Love, NecrumWarrior

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Dear LMFAO. Word up.
I have ultimate say and have already given my decision. Everyone else has provided evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. Further attempts to argue about an ice platinum run, which you aren't even doing, will result in a report to the mods. Thank you and good day.

Love, NecrumWarrior

What are you going to report to the mods? the fact I was trying to point out some major flaws in the attempt and was giving some advice on the matter and how big headed do you have to be to use the words "ultimate say". It's a damn challenge people do for fun get over yourself.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Stop fighting. NecrumWarrior is right, LMFAO. He's running the challenge and if hacking isn't allowed, it's not allowed and that's that. There are plenty of Ice types for the challenge. Not a full team of 6, but the rules don't require that. I don't want to have to come back to this again.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Stop fighting. NecrumWarrior is right, LMFAO. He's running the challenge and if hacking isn't allowed, it's not allowed and that's that. There are plenty of Ice types for the challenge. Not a full team of 6, but the rules don't require that. I don't want to have to come back to this again.

The debate was never because of hacking, it was the fact he said he can use Eevee for an Ice challenge and it wouldn't evolve until he gets to the last gym, which means he has to play near enough the whole game with a pokemon which isn't the type he chose.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The debate was never because of hacking, it was the fact he said he can use Eevee for an Ice challenge and it wouldn't evolve until he gets to the last gym, which means he has to play near enough the whole game with a pokemon which isn't the type he chose.

Doesn't matter. He's running it, it's his say. If someone doesn't like having to do this, switch games or types or something. That was even in the rules before he took over, if I recall, so I can't blame him for adopting the previous rules.

Anxiety's cut your blood Chasing all your ghosts
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
Nickname: johnny18 or 90210
Single or Ultimate: Single
Monotype: Normal
Game: White

I already had the first badge, I beat the red head guy with my patrat. Now I have pidove, audino, and patrat in my team and I am hunting audino for level up :)

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
You need to replay gen 4 in that case. Eevee evolves into Glaceon at route 217, which is prior to 2 to 4 gyms. Not to mention you can get like 3 pokemon there. You get the good rod at Hearthome. Meaning once you get there, if he's willing to backtrack, he can get 2 pokemon into his party. You're not even overexaggerating, you've gone so far beyond that, that there's no word for it..

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
You need to replay gen 4 in that case. Eevee evolves into Glaceon at route 217, which is prior to 2 to 4 gyms. Not to mention you can get like 3 pokemon there. You get the good rod at Hearthome. Meaning once you get there, if he's willing to backtrack, he can get 2 pokemon into his party. You're not even overexaggerating, you've gone so far beyond that, that there's no word for it..

This guy is still moaning where is his warning?

Also go check where route 217 is before you start stating things...

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Stop. Anymore of this argument after this post is getting deleted and possibly infracted. This shouldn't have to be such an issue. And Griffinbane is a girl.

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Anyway, you can't hack any pokeomon in since eevee can be obtained before the third gym.

I have a question. What if Ellipsai were to hack in that Eevee earlier on so she could just use it from the start instead of waiting until she gets to Hearthome City? I ask this because I like to do that, I don't like using other pokemon at all for my challenges that I'm not going to use for my final team.

An example would be, when I start emerald for my ultimate bug challenge I plan to hack Wurmple as my starter so I can use it for all the beginning stuff. Wurmple is the earliest catchable bug type so I wouldn't be bringing another pokemon earlier so I can have Wurmple and, let's say a Nincada. I would just making it so I can have that 1 Wurmple a little earlier than normal and I would catch all the other bug pokemon normally.

And Ellipsai don't worry about not having enough pokemon for your team, you can get Abomasnow, Weavile, Mamoswine, Froslass, Glalie, Glaceon, and Jynx (post-game), thats more then enough for a team of 6. I should know, I played platinum for the sinnoh part of my ultimate ice challenge. I hope you go through with it, sure you get most of your members later on, but its a fun challenge. :)

ShinyHoundoom

Houndoom Fan
Years
So uh...did the owner of the thread see my challenge posting near the bottom of the last page (Page 26). The long conversation that happened might have covered it up. If it was seen but not posted, I apologize. I was just making sure that my challenge was noticed. Oh and a question, is there a minimum amount of pokemon for a mono-type run?

Years
Username: Mama-Mamo
Type: Fighting
Challenge: Single
Game(s): Yellow

First time doing one of these things... Not sure how this is going to end! xD

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Wow guys, you had so many posts in the last few hours! I just want to say to James 901, that hacking in an early pokemon earlier (like a Wurmple starter in Emerald) is still hacking. The point is to play with the challenge rules in mind. Like Sydian said, choose a different game/type if you don't want to deal with it.

And if someone really wants to hack in an Ice pokemon at the beginning of a Sinnoh game, they can play Diamond or Pearl. Eevee isn't in those games until after the E4, so you can hack in one ice pokemon at the beginning.

Years
Update 3:

Bug Monotype on Fire Red

Before getting onto the S.S. Anne, I battled a few trainers and Paras evolved into a Parasect I then got myself into the S.S. Anne. So, I had to make my way around the S.S. Anne to get Cut, and I did so. Surprisingly, Butterfree's Confusion and Sleep Powder combo defeated everyone and also KO'ed all of Gary's Pokemon. I got to the Captain and received Cut, taught it to Beedrill and managed to get into the Vermillion Gym. I only had to battle the guy by the electric link fence as the switches were located on the bins in the first row. I easily defeated the trainer and then found myself up against Lt. Surge. Parasect took care of Voltorb and Pikachu; when Raichu was sent out I switched in Butterfree so it was able to put it to sleep only to switch back to Parasect and defeat Raichu. 3 Pokemon so far, going well and now headed for Venomoth.

331hfz8.png

diamondmutt1111

A wild summer appeared!
Years
Dang...so many posts! :shocked: well anyways, I am signing up for an Ultimate Mono-type Water Challenge!

Sign-up sheet:

Username: diamondmutt1111 (in game is Brooke)
Type: Water
Challenge: Ultimate
Games: Blue, Crystal, Sapphire, Platinum, Black

What I have decided to do for my Mono-type Challenges (yes, I am doing an Ultimate for each type) is in order to mix it up a bit, each Mono-type Challenge will have 1 Trainer (meaning the Player is always named _____ , ex: Brooke or Joey). I have actually started Crystal and I just beat Bugsy. My team consists of:

Spr_2c_159.gif

Godzilla the Female Croconaw
(a female starter??? O_O)

Spr_2c_194.gif

HerpDerp the Male Wooper
(gonna change his name to Ralph)

Spr_2c_079.gif

Floopy the Male Slowpoke

I hope it's ok I started with Crystal instead of Blue. More to come once I beat Morty.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2013
Update #1, For my rock type mono challenge in firered.
Chose Charmander so rival would pick squirtle, rushed to mt.moon
Caught Geodude, raised him up a bit, boxed the now Charmeleon.
Mt.moon was easy, cerulean city not so much. Evolved Geodude to Graveler, beat rival, (could not beat him until geodude was graveler, squirtle water gun was a one shot)
Even in the late 20s Graveler was still getting one shot by misty, went to Vermillion, defeated all trainers there, Graveler was in the mid 30s by now.
Went back to cerulean defeated misty, graveler surived one water pulse then one shot starmie.
Caught an Onix, trained him up a bit, taught him dig, he sweeped the 3rd gym easily.
Went through rock tunnel, was actually a bit tough with all those poke maniac, slowpokes.
Got to lavender town, faced rival, beat him easily.
Evolved Graveler into a Golem.
Team so far:
Level 27 Docile Onix:
Moves: Tackle, Screech, Dig, Rock Throw

Level 40 Lax Golem:
Moves: Mega Punch, Selfdestruct, Magnitude, Rock Throw

Onto Celadon...

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I've gotten quite a bit done since my last update. I caught a Deerling and leveled it up to be even with the rest of my team. Then I defeated Team Plasma at the Cold Storage and then I defeated Clay, earning my fifth gym badge. I continued on to Route 6, defeating Bianca first. I quickly went to Chargestone Cave, where I caught my final team member, Ferroseed. Before moving on I went ahead and evolved Servine, Cottonee, and Deerling into Serperior, Whimsicott, and Sawsbuck as I trained Ferroseed and evened out my team's levels. Once I did that, I quicky went through Chargestone Cave and defeated N once I got to the end. Next I went through Mistralton to Route 7 to find Skyla at Celestial Tower. Then I went back to Mistralton and took on Skyla, defeating her and earning my sixth badge. Next I went to Twist Mountain after defeating Cheren, and was able to quickly make my way through because of the snow. However, I managed to evolve Ferroseed into Ferrothorn before I left. Once I got to Icirrus I made my way straight to the gym where I surprisingly defeated Brycen fairly easily. As soon as I walked outside I was confronted with the news about Team Plasma, and I did the mandatory evil-team quest as I have in every previous generation about this time. I sped through Dragonspiral Tower and the Relic Castle so I could move on with the Gym challenge, and I visited Nacrene City before continuing my travels on Route 8. I quickly slid my way across the route and ran through Tubline Bridge, but not before defeating Bianca. I sneaked my way past the trainers on Route 9 and went straight to the gym once I made it to Opelucid City. The gym wasn't too difficult, but it wasn't very easy either. However, I made it out with my final gym badge of my entire challenge! I made my way through the first half of Route 10, but stopped before battling Cheren so I could Audino grind a little bit (which is what I'm doing as I am typing). I'm getting the whole team up to level 47 right now and if I feel like it I may give them all a few more levels before moving on. Here is the team right now (disregard the uneven levels):

serperior.png
Serperior / Lv47 / Leaf Blade, Strength, Aerial Ace, Giga Drain
leavanny.png
Leavanny / Lv44 / X-Scissor, Leaf Blade, Shadow Claw, Poison Jab
whimsicott.png
Whimsicott / Lv47 / Giga Drain, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Hurricane
sawsbuck-winter.png
Sawsbuck / Lv44 / Jump Kick, Faint Attack, Horn Leech, Megahorn
ferrothorn.png
Ferrothorn / Lv47 / Power Whip, Iron Head, Gyro Ball, Bulldoze

✔Pokemon Blue Version
venusaur.png
parasect.png
victreebel.png
exeggutor.png

✔Pokemon Silver Version
meganium.png
gloom.png
bellossom.png
parasect.png
exeggutor.png

✔Pokemon Sapphire Version
sceptile.png
ludicolo.png
breloom.png
cacturne.png
cradily.png
tropius.png

✔Pokemon Diamond Version
torterra.png
roserade.png
wormadam-plant.png
abomasnow.png

Pokemon Black Version
serperior.png
leavanny.png
whimsicott.png
sawsbuck-winter.png
ferrothorn.png

Type: Grass

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Stop. Anymore of this argument after this post is getting deleted and possibly infracted. This shouldn't have to be such an issue. And Griffinbane is a girl.
Thanks Syd!
I have a question. What if Ellipsai were to hack in that Eevee earlier on so she could just use it from the start instead of waiting until she gets to Hearthome City? I ask this because I like to do that, I don't like using other pokemon at all for my challenges that I'm not going to use for my final team.

An example would be, when I start emerald for my ultimate bug challenge I plan to hack Wurmple as my starter so I can use it for all the beginning stuff. Wurmple is the earliest catchable bug type so I wouldn't be bringing another pokemon earlier so I can have Wurmple and, let's say a Nincada. I would just making it so I can have that 1 Wurmple a little earlier than normal and I would catch all the other bug pokemon normally.

And Ellipsai don't worry about not having enough pokemon for your team, you can get Abomasnow, Weavile, Mamoswine, Froslass, Glalie, Glaceon, and Jynx (post-game), thats more then enough for a team of 6. I should know, I played platinum for the sinnoh part of my ultimate ice challenge. I hope you go through with it, sure you get most of your members later on, but its a fun challenge. :)
No go, sorry but hacking in a Pokemon is not allowed unless a Pokemon of your type, or that evolves into your type, cannot be found before the third Gym. There is no leeway on this at all. That rule has been the same for a long time. I have researched old Monotype threads and this has always been the case. Although, back in the day, there have been threads that absolutely banned hacking completely, so be glad that I let you guys hack when necessary.
So uh...did the owner of the thread see my challenge posting near the bottom of the last page (Page 26). The long conversation that happened might have covered it up. If it was seen but not posted, I apologize. I was just making sure that my challenge was noticed. Oh and a question, is there a minimum amount of pokemon for a mono-type run?
I saw your updates. Don't worry. I'm doing this on a weekly update system. So in a couple of days I'll go through all the recent posts and update the list. That way I don't have to update the thread every couple of hours... XD

I'm instituting a minimum of 2 Pokemon. Primarily because using a single Pokemon kind of defeats the purpose of doing a monotype, especially if that Pokemon has 2 types. The whole point of this challenge is to beat the game using a team who shares a common trait. If you only use one Pokemon, then there is no trait to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back