• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 20, 2021
Well, what I can say is that it is awesome. I really like the idea of flower beds. I want to point out that the sandy area (the one surrounding bicycles) doesn't close well, maybe you used the wrong tile? Overall, a decent one :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 20, 2021
Can I ask something about those cool-looking things near the wild grass (upper left area)? Would the player be directed there or an item will lie there as one would not prefer to go in that area to battle (possibly trainers) there. Do the right two cliffs (idk what to name them, don't know :P) have a tileset error or are they intended? Keep up the good work :) *likes your post*

Anyways, here's my map: (need to know whether these custom tiles are good looking or not)

R70RPfN.jpg

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
I personally don't like the orange roofs on the two towers, but I like the yellow tiles going on around your city, such as at the bottom right. You should change up the orange colours. And thank you for your kind feedback! I will get back to working on the mapping later after I work on some fun parts of my game :D

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
You are right about the upper left area, as trainers will be there that one may want to avoid. The cliffs on the right of my route are indeed a tileset error I have yet to fix.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
I like it a lot!! Maybe put something in the centre of the map(in between gym and poke mart), to make map seem less open. Maybe you could put benches or something?(like snowbelle city in x and y). But thats just my opinion. Good map!!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
No problem! Glad I could help!

I just completed another map yesterday, its a town called Avon Island, nestled on a mountain, a pretty generic map. It gets destroyed in my game :O

Attachments

• Avon Island.PNG
    Avon Island.PNG
    38.1 KB · Views: 67
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
And what 'bout this snow map?

2KrbaU3.png

the map seems a bit too open with nothing much going on in it. I suggest keeping in mind the player's view when mapping. player's view is somewhat limited (5 tiles up/down, 7 left/right), so if he ends up seeing not much at times, he may get bored. at least I know I do

Putting everything in this map (the mountain walls, the houses) a bit closer to each other might help with that.

The two items at the bottom seem a bit too easy too obtain

otherwise good map

here's my map:
ghetho_hills_remake_by_raymondmaverick-dbbi48d.png

you can jump from rock to rock
credits: Peekychew (for castle and other tiles + inspiration from his map), WaH, ~Trebuh~, Phyromatical, WesleyFG, Zein, Zeikaro, Zeo, Alistair, Kyledove

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
Wow! Nothing bad about the map at all! Looks great! I like all the different paths you can take, through the caves, and the scenery looks good! At the moment, I can't think of any constructive criticsm to give you! There is a lot of things going on in the route, it looks like, but you have organized the route in a nice way, I think. Keep up the good work!

I would like to share a screenshot of a 250 by 250 route I created. It is a huge open world style route, with influences from the Legend of Zelda series. Any way I could do this without splicing together smaller images of the map? As 1/4 zoom isn't enough in rpg maker to take screen. Thanks.

I attached a preview image of a portion of my route for now :D. What do you think? I am a beginner mapper, and I haven't done a big polish up of the whole route yet, so thats why you may see a few tile errors right now. Thanks

Attachments

• Route Preview.PNG
    Route Preview.PNG
    43.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 13, 2019
the map seems a bit too open with nothing much going on in it. I suggest keeping in mind the player's view when mapping. player's view is somewhat limited (5 tiles up/down, 7 left/right), so if he ends up seeing not much at times, he may get bored. at least I know I do

Putting everything in this map (the mountain walls, the houses) a bit closer to each other might help with that.

The two items at the bottom seem a bit too easy too obtain

otherwise good map

here's my map:
ghetho_hills_remake_by_raymondmaverick-dbbi48d.png

you can jump from rock to rock
credits: Peekychew (for castle and other tiles + inspiration from his map), WaH, ~Trebuh~, Phyromatical, WesleyFG, Zein, Zeikaro, Zeo, Alistair, Kyledove

Those maps are beautiful, great work.

Years
Review of TypicalJalapeno's Snow Map:

Spoiler:

My map:

Just something I whipped up combining tiles by WesleyFG, nsora_96 and iRoCkNiKeZ's Unamed ROM Base V2 plus a few I added or tweaked myself.

Spoiler:

Not using this map in a hack - just made it to see how the tiles interface with eachother and how the tiles look in a game setting. What do you guys think of the tiles and the map? Any criticism greatly appreciated. Looking to start a hack with these tiles in the near future.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Review of TypicalJalapeno's Snow Map:

My map:

Just something I whipped up combining tiles by WesleyFG, nsora_96 and iRoCkNiKeZ's Unamed ROM Base V2 plus a few I added or tweaked myself.

Spoiler:

Not using this map in a hack - just made it to see how the tiles interface with eachother and how the tiles look in a game setting. What do you guys think of the tiles and the map? Any criticism greatly appreciated. Looking to start a hack with these tiles in the near future.

Map:
Map looks good, though is it a town or is it a route? Usually, you see houses in towns and grass in routes. Unless you're mixing those up, which is cool in that case too.

What I have to say is mostly technical: beware of your borders. On the top left, if you walk left from the house, you can see outside the map, which should look like your border tile, unless you have connected another map to the left to continue the pattern of trees. Same goes for the pond - if the player surfs on it, he can see beyond the mountains on the right side.

A good idea would be to let the map breathe a little by putting a bit of plain grass between things... in my opinion. But I like your style in general. Your map looks fresh!

Tiles:
not bad choice of tiles, however are some of these free to use? I don't know if Wesley made his trees public. Also, I see two kinds of mountain tiles. I'm not too fond of that, as they're too dissimilar in style. It could work if they had a similar palette and pattern.

The berries on the trees are unfitting too, since their very hard outline draws the eye from the tree to the berry - they stand out way too much.

Here's my latest map, the Cave Shipwreck:

cave_shipwreck_by_raymondmaverick-dbe98nb.png

a few notes:
*You can jump from rock to rock
*You can Dive into the abyss
*You need Surf to explore the shipwreck
*While Surfing on the transparent water, you can only find wild battles while passing over the underwater grass (water Pokemon are waiting for you to Surf over them I guess)
*This map is located towards the end of the dungeon, so if there's not much grass getting in your way, it's on purpose

I can't remember to whom the shipwreck & other tiles belong, so I'll post the entire list of credits I have for my project so far (I think everyone involved in this map should be properly credited this way):
Spoiler:

special thanks to Phyromatical for the idea for the map, which I got from his Beach Grotto map

Last edited:

NoMoreStars

Trying
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
Spoiler:

I'm pretty much exclusively going off of aesthetics, just to be clear. Looks gorgeous and I love what's going on with the water layers! Although, this is just nitpicking, but it's kinda hard to tell that this is in a cave. I can tell you tried to give it that impression with the dark borders on the rock walls, but I wouldn't have been able to tell it was a cave unless you told me. Maybe darken it up a bit if possible? Unless you plan on using a darkened effect in whatever engine you use.

Anyways, here's my map titled Draconid Village for a hypothetical Emerald Sequel. This was just made for fun and I would prefer if it was judged purely off of aesthetic alone since this will never be a fan game or hack due to a lack of time and skill. Just a fun art project is all!

Spoiler:

I almost exclusively used original tiles from Emerald, the only exception being the Sootopolis City buildings that I recolored a bit myself, as well as some diagonal stairs, again, made by me. I don't think they turned out too horribly? Anyway, the darkened space at the bottom of the map is supposed to be an entrance/exit to Meteor Falls, and the cave at the bottom of the crater is an entrance to a small dungeon.

Emerald outdoor tileset ripped by Heartlessdragoon on Spriters Resource.

Years
Review of NoMoreStars' 'Draconid Village' Map:

Spoiler:

My as of yet Unnamed Starting Town:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 5, 2018
Wow! Nothing bad about the map at all! Looks great! I like all the different paths you can take, through the caves, and the scenery looks good! At the moment, I can't think of any constructive criticsm to give you! There is a lot of things going on in the route, it looks like, but you have organized the route in a nice way, I think. Keep up the good work!

I would like to share a screenshot of a 250 by 250 route I created. It is a huge open world style route, with influences from the Legend of Zelda series. Any way I could do this without splicing together smaller images of the map? As 1/4 zoom isn't enough in rpg maker to take screen. Thanks.

I attached a preview image of a portion of my route for now :D. What do you think? I am a beginner mapper, and I haven't done a big polish up of the whole route yet, so thats why you may see a few tile errors right now. Thanks

The map looks pretty neat, although, in the south, instead of flowers you might use fences so it would get more of a maze kinda effect!:) The top east part of the map looks pretty bland, maybe add some more things there, otherwise it might look to empty in game;)

Here are some of my maps, the second one is Route 01 and the first one is the starter Town of the game!

Attachments

• Subree Town.png
    Subree Town.png
    266.9 KB · Views: 96
  • ScreenHunter 02.png
    ScreenHunter 02.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 68
Years
Its a good start, I feel its a bit too squared in. Don't get me wrong cities like Saffron are also squared in but the buildings feel a bit too uniform. Maybe put the Pokemon Center in the middle? Also I think I prefer the second one just cause the stairs seem a bit off.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024

Aesthetically, it doesn't look half bad, however I have to comment on some oddities and gameplay concerns that I have:

gameplay wise, you can get through this map by just walking in an upwards line for a few seconds. I don't see any grass that would maybe force you to change direction... maybe having some trainers lurk around the path that leads north would make this more fun to wade through.

Forcing the player change direction every once in a while should make the map more enjoyable to play through

Does this map have a connection to the right? You can surf to the east of this map by sticking close to the ground wall. Was this intentional? If there's nothing to the east of this map, you will have border problems in game in the surfing area close to the mountain walls.

The ground wall near you after you leave the pier shows a squarish ground tile as background - this is easily fixable with the Block Editor in a-map if you're using that

If you want to be 100% in line with Nintendo style of mapping, you have to do the tree-to-tree shading correctly, everywhere. Below is a pic where you have used the right tile (blue line) and where you have used the wrong tile (red line)

Spoiler:

Here's my map:

4OowH2p.png

hack of emerald

is there a secret under that bridge?! I'll never tell

I wanted to add shadows under the large trees on the pavement but I literally run out of both tileset and blockset space, there's just not a single tile to use there

the roads of this city are made to be travelled with the Mach Bike (so they're intentionally long-winded)

Credits: Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Alucus, Zein, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeikku, Zeo254, Novus, Zeo254, TheRedEx, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, Zerudez, ShoddyBattle, Cuddlesthefatcat, Hydrargirium, zetavares852, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Newtiteuf, Ozumas, Xiros, Aten974, Warpas, speedialga, saurav, newtiteuf, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellung, thegreatblaid, ~Trebuh~, JesusCarrasco, Gallanty, seiyouh

Last edited:
Back