• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Gary's Mod (Beta 2 Released!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
"Wow, a breakthrough in ROM hacking!" -some random person

"Gamefreak should take notes, this is how to make a Pokemon game!" -definitely not me

"11/10, like Skyrim with Pokemon" -a random person that I didn't pay to say that

"Please have my babies!" -your mom

I. Info
II. Introduction
III. Storyline
IV. Features
V. Screenshots
VI. Bugs
VII. Progress
VIII. Credits
IX. Tools Used
X. Promos
XI. Downloads
XII. FAQ
I. Info
ROM: Pokemon Fire Red v1.0
Language: English
Creator: Teh Blazer
II. Introduction

We've all played through the base Fire Red game as the silent protagonist, destroying Team Rocket with a team of Pokemon we assembled in less that 24 hours. However there is always one unsung hero, a man who's deeds go largely unnoticed. The man who lives in the shadows, having his heroism marked away by his largely narcissistic attitude. Live the story of your rival and discover the truth behind what really went down in the Kanto region.

I really decided to do this hack because there was a distinct lack of rival's point of view hacks that have a lot of potential to be great. Also because 90% of the maps are made so all I really need to do is script which lightens the load a bit for me. It's a great opportunity to put a twist on the classic RBY/FrLg story and to connect the dots between the two.

III. Storyline

History is always told by the victor, it is always being rewritten by the triumphant to erase the failed party's accomplishments. That's why everyone knows of Ash and his Team Rocket-ending journey through Kanto. Very few, however, know the entire story. Truth is, there was another 10 year old boy who managed to save Kanto from behind the scenes. Play as your former rival Gary as he travels throughout the region, reliving his untold tale.

Travel through deeper caves, underground corridors, and hidden passageways as you uncover the truth behind Kanto's biggest threat yet. History may be written by the victor, but the truth will always shine through.

IV. Features
-Revamped Places. A few places have been altered slightly to make sense of the world surrounding it. I'd rather keep Kanto intact so there will be hardly any original areas that will change.
-New Areas. Since you're exploring an untold story, it only makes sense that there are a few unseen places to go along with it. It's not gonna be anything crazy like an entire new region, but a few more areas are added to flesh out some previously unremarkable locations.
-MrDollSteak Patch. Pretty much a standard in hacks these days, the patch gives us Physical/Special Split, Fairy type, new moves, etc.
-New Evolution Methods. Eevee evolves into its forms through evolution stones now (including Umbreon/Espeon). Previous "special condition evolutions" (mostly involving trading) will be changed as well.
-Not all Pokemon are catchable. Not really needed to be said but important enough to mention. Too many hacks get bogged down with having the player catch all 70000 Pokemon, leaving 20 new Pokemon in each route. This is not that kind of hack, all Kanto Pokemon with a few Jhoto and Hoenn Pokemon will be available in the game at some point. If you have a special Pokemon you absolutely need in the game, give me a holler and I'll see what I can do.

V. Screenshots

Beta 2 Images:
tTwuO0J.png

Your friendly neighborhood NPC giving you the deets

QEuLM44.png

Whoa Teh Blazer, you mean there are items on the floor???? :O

TVGU0KH.png

Keep telling that to yourself, bud

YpuGsLl.png

Sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2CliIHs.png

Famous without doing anything, basically a Kardashian

hSNRseK.png

Gasp, new area? :0

QjMtAEg.png

He can afford a lighthouse but not a bed? Smh teh blazer

lcF0UWn.png

Diglett's Cave now actually requires exploring

Q2lRfKA.png

More Diglett's Tunnel fun

dIw4kgY.png

Is it worth it Gary? Is it really?

fJekyL4.png

The S.S Anne has a lot more to offer this time around.
To accommodate this, it never leaves the harbor now.

Beta 1 Images:
Spoiler:

VI. Bugs
-Getting paralyzed while in the tutorial fight doesn't actually paralyze you
-Fishing/Flying sprites not replaced (fixed for beta 3)
-Mega Gyarados doesn't have sprites yet
-While you're reviving a fossil wild Pokemon battles are disabled (fixed for beta 3)
-Eevee has no "Lv" next to its level
-Leftovers doesn't update the HP bar when HP is recovered

VII. Progress
Unlike last time, I will try to be as updated as possible.
Current location: Kannen Islands

BETA 3: Up to Elite 4 (8 Badges)

VIII. Credits
Mr DollSteak's Patch: MrDollSteak
Gary Backsprite: Shadows
VS Animation: Derlo, Alisa180
Fire Red Hacked Engine: JPAN
Gary Overworld Sprites: Cranhic

IX. Tools Used
Advance Map 1.92 - Lu-Ho
A-Trainer - Hackmew
Free Space Finder - Hackmew
XSE - Hackmew
NTME - D-Trogh
Advance Series - Wichu
Nameless Sprite Editor - Link12552
Pokemon Game Editor - Gamer2020

X. Promos
When every Beta drops, there is going to be a similar promotion accompanying it. This is your chance to acquire rare Pokemon/Items that you'll never ever see again because they only come in promos. Just go to the second floor of any Pokecenter and speak to the man there to receive your free gift.

Beta 2 Promotion:
Spr_4h_172N.png

Spiky-Eared Pichu, Lv.7

XI. Downloads
XII. FAQ

Q. What ever happened to your old Black/White Demake?
A. I've still got it on my hard drive somewhere, what happened was I messed up somewhere expanding moves and it causes the game to freeze after taking certain actions. It's almost got a completed beta, it's just I lost motivation to port everything onto a clean ROM and use MrDs Patch so the battles won't be messed up. Still if people want a buggy beta, I can release it.

Q. When will you be updating?
A. Life unfortunately gets in the way and updates will be sporadic and sparse. I'm more of a solo worker anyways and taking screenshots and updating is good but I'm just far too lazy to take the time to do it. I will be working on it however, just not so publicly.

Q. Once Prof. Oak leaves the lab, what do I have to do to trigger the next event? Do I have to wait a certain amount of time or...?
A. You pass the time by interacting with different things, it's wise to try to interact with anything and everything just to see what works. For instance, if you look at the signs, both say very different things. Same with the computer. Same with the pokedexs.
If that doesn't work
I didn't script the thing correctly in beta 2 when interacting with the items, so if you immediately press any directional arrows right after the text box closes, it can skip the Oak returning script and you're stuck there forever. To avoid it, just don't try to move while interacting/1 second after interacting with any signs while in the lab (just wait a brief second before moving). It has been fixed for beta 3.

Q. Gee Teh Blazer, are you sure those quotes you have up there are really said by people?
A. Yes, yes they are.

Last edited:

AmazingCharizard

Pokemon Rocket Strike creator
Years
Simple yet interesting idea. I'm always curious about experiencing a story we all know so well but from a truely different perspective.
Good luck with this project!

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
You named Red "Ash".
I'm not one of these people but someone may rage because of this - despite how Ash was based on Red, those two are separate characters. Just like Green/Blue and Gary but... well... both are almighty jerks.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years
In his defense, the player chooses both the player and rival names, so that is a definite non-issue. Back in the day, everyone named themselves Ash and their rival either Gary or something along the lines of Butts. I approve of these choices. :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 17, 2023
yeah cant really play it it just gets pitchblack as soon as I name my player and rival is it a bug or something?

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
This is an interesting concept that I am actually looking forward to. Can't wait to see what you put out!

eonoflegend

The eon champion
Years
Hey loving the game so far but I did find that if you "talk" to the tree it freezes the game also if you choose the wrong pokemon for the pikachu for vulpix then the person will say that's no vulpix.

Last edited:
Years
"Wow, a breakthrough in ROM hacking!" -some random person

"Gamefreak should take notes, this is how to make a Pokemon game!" -definitely not me

"11/10, like Skyrim with Pokemon" -a random person that I didn't pay to say that

"Please have my babies!" -your mom

Probably the best introduction to a hack to date.

Good luck with this project! Simple, yet advanced at the same time. :P

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 16, 2016
gary drove a car and always had hot woman around them, so I want to see that .....and also....why was gary randomly at sylph co and did not kill the rocket boss....I always wonderd about that. looke forward to the progress

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Simple yet interesting idea. I'm always curious about experiencing a story we all know so well but from a truely different perspective.
Good luck with this project!

Thank you! I'll try to make it as different as possible while still making connections to the canon game.

This is a hack worth keeping an eye out on.

I'd prefer if people kept their eyes in but to each their own.

Though gray started with squirrel not an eevee?

It's following Yellow version more than Red/Blue and in there he starts with an eevee.

You named Red "Ash".
I'm not one of these people but someone may rage because of this - despite how Ash was based on Red, those two are separate characters. Just like Green/Blue and Gary but... well... both are almighty jerks.

Since they follow the canon games, they can be whatever you want them to be. I just named him gary because of likeness and because I can make a connection to Garry's Mod.

In his defense, the player chooses both the player and rival names, so that is a definite non-issue. Back in the day, everyone named themselves Ash and their rival either Gary or something along the lines of Butts. I approve of these choices. :)

Dank u very much. Took me a long time to come up with butts actually haha.

With reviews like those this game must really be amazing!

Yeah, who would've thought that even moms would enjoy Pokemon?

Great idea! I will keep an eye on this

Keep one eye on the sky, fam.

yeah cant really play it it just gets pitchblack as soon as I name my player and rival is it a bug or something?

Hmm, I just tried it and nothing glitchy happened. Try patching it on another clean Fire Red ROM?

This is an interesting concept that I am actually looking forward to. Can't wait to see what you put out!

I'm looking forward to it too haha

Hey loving the game so far but I did find that if you "talk" to the tree it freezes the game also if you choose the wrong pokemon for the pikachu for vulpix then the person will say that's no vulpix.

Thanks, I fixed those and updated the download link.

Probably the best introduction to a hack to date.

Good luck with this project! Simple, yet advanced at the same time. :P

Thanks, I hope there's enough differences to keep the hack interesting and not another sideshow hack.

gary drove a car and always had hot woman around them, so I want to see that .....and also....why was gary randomly at sylph co and did not kill the rocket boss....I always wonderd about that. looke forward to the progress

Smh I can't even afford a car in real life, I can't give my pixel character a car. But that slyph question and many more will be revealed in due time, my child.

----------------------------------------------------

QjMtAEg.png

He can afford a lighthouse but not a bed? Smh teh blazer

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 30, 2020
So I've been at Oak's lab for a while, and I just need to know: am I actually supposed to wait a certain amount of time until Oak and Red show up, or is there something that triggers there arrival?

EDIT: So I think I figured it out, I guess moving during events (such as Oak and Red entering the lab) canceled the event.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 25, 2017
Great hack i'll be keeping an eye on this, two thumbs up man Good job :)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
I found two bugs:
1. If I look at gary's house sign then I am instantly led to a battle with my rival and if I lose that battle then I am led to a Pokemon center with in the black void where infinite Pokemon are being healed.
2. while selecting a name for rival it show's our own ow in the name writing screen

I am playing more, if I see more bugs then I'll report them here.

3. the moment I leave after I beat the rival, I go back instantly to see if there's anything, oak doesn't say anything when I click 'A' infront of me. so there is no script designed for that but when I talk to the aid in viridian city then he talk

I came in the museum free of charge because I am oak's grandson.... best game ever gg 10/10

4. when I run I turn into purple hated ash with white backpack

Last edited by a moderator:

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
It's a very good point!! Infact we don't know what happened to Gary/Blue through the whole process of the game so interesting yet a hard game to make, it needs innovation and creative ideas, I bet you already planned everything! good luck, and please make sure to not quit it, I know it will be a top hack for this year.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Glorious name, glorious storyline, glorious everything!

This hack is gonna be gold. :D

Haha thanks, next step is turning it from gold to vibranium.

So I've been at Oak's lab for a while, and I just need to know: am I actually supposed to wait a certain amount of time until Oak and Red show up, or is there something that triggers there arrival?

EDIT: So I think I figured it out, I guess moving during events (such as Oak and Red entering the lab) canceled the event.

A lot of people have asked so I probably didn't make it clear enough, but you're gonna wanna interact with the things in the room until you trigger something. A neat little hint is that everything on the back wall will help you get to the next step. Try interacting with everything there and see what happens.

Great hack i'll be keeping an eye on this, two thumbs up man Good job :)

No three thumbs up? I have failed the hacking community.

I found two bugs:
1. If I look at gary's house sign then I am instantly led to a battle with my rival and if I lose that battle then I am led to a Pokemon center with in the black void where infinite Pokemon are being healed.
2. while selecting a name for rival it show's our own ow in the name writing screen

I am playing more, if I see more bugs then I'll report them here.

3. the moment I leave after I beat the rival, I go back instantly to see if there's anything, oak doesn't say anything when I click 'A' infront of me. so there is no script designed for that but when I talk to the aid in viridian city then he talk

I came in the museum free of charge because I am oak's grandson.... best game ever gg 10/10

4. when I run I turn into purple hated ash with white backpack

Thanks for that. #1 was leftover from testing, thanks for catching that. #2 I didn't even know about, so that's good. #3 was a brianfart on my part, will be fixed for the next beta. #4 is known, I just lack artistic abilities to make those running sprites.

And thanks for the coffee images!

It's a very good point!! Infact we don't know what happened to Gary/Blue through the whole process of the game so interesting yet a hard game to make, it needs innovation and creative ideas, I bet you already planned everything! good luck, and please make sure to not quit it, I know it will be a top hack for this year.

Thank you very much, I've already got it mostly planned out in my head. It's just a matter of scripting it all out now. If I do quit it I give you permission to beat me up until I start again.

----------------------------------------------------

lcF0UWn.png

Diglett's Cave now actually requires exploring

Reactions: Del
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back