• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unsure Where to Start

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 16, 2022
Hello everyone!

I've played TCGO for a little while but decided I would like to buy cards of my own to play it in person. Are Trainer Kits necessary for beginners? If so, should I get the XY Trainer Kit or is there one more recent?

Years
Hello everyone!

I've played TCGO for a little while but decided I would like to buy cards of my own to play it in person. Are Trainer Kits necessary for beginners? If so, should I get the XY Trainer Kit or is there one more recent?

Trainer Kits are not necessary if you already know how to play, but it may still be useful to get one to get familiar with the flow of a physical game.

And I think there's a Sun & Moon trainer kit out now, but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for the Sun & Moon one.

Re-iterating what Don said above, Trainer Kits are very much not necessary if you've played the TCGO. In fact, they're pretty freaking awful. Theme decks (especially Luminous Frost, my personal favorite) are arguably far better jumping off points. If you don't mind using older cards though, the Battle Arena decks are the best pre-cons to buy.

That said, the SM Trainer Kit is Lycanroc and Alolan Raichu.

Back