• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Has Anyone beaten the Battle Tower?

Syphr

Happy to meet new people ^^
Years
Nope, never tried, matter of fact, don't think I want to attempt it.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
That place was so hard, an Aerodactyl wiped out my whole team. It was like they had 252 EVs for all their stats and they weren't even in Gen2.

Years
  • DC
  • Seen Feb 27, 2016
Beat the Battle tower at level 40 relatively easily. My team:

Umbreon (f) @ leftovers
Attract
Toxic
Faint Attack
Confuse Ray

Typhlosion (m) @ gold berry
Thunderpunch
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Sand-attack

Suicune @ Mint Berry
Rest
Blizzard
Surf
Sleep Talk

Typhlosion was my opener, because of his wide coverage. Thunderpunch OHKOs Gyarados leads, and does a lot of damage to Aerodactyl. Earthquake is mandatory, Fire Punch is for STAB, and Sand-attack is basically a staller.

Umbreon is brought in to wear down their lead (if Typhlosion is KOed), or switches in on their second if Typhlosion can't counter effectively without getting killed. Of course, the three nasty status conditions let me switch in on almost everything except Heracross or Machamp, who can 2HKO. Nidoking is annoying too because of Toxic immunity and Megahorn, but Typhlosion or Suicune can usually finish him with Surf.

Suicune is a last resort/cleaner-upper, and Resttalk works well in that regard. Mint Berry lets me recover from one Rest immediately, and Surf and Blizzard provide good coverage (Ice Beam cannot reliably OHKO with the strong Pokemon inside the Battle Tower).

Level 20 is exceptionally difficult, though. Aerodactyl's Dragon Rage will 2HKO almost everything, so Chansey/Blissey with Ice Beam is basically mandatory to outlast it. You need as strong of a sweeper as you can get at level 20 - Nidoking, Espeon and Aerodactyl are good, and you can occasionally find level 20 Slowbro in the Slowpoke well, so those are pretty safe bets. Breeding is your friend. With a combination of luck and more luck, I won with this team:

Blissey (f) @ leftovers (Bred a Chansey and then lavished it with haircuts and stuff. Evolved at level 19.)
Softboiled
Ice Beam
Protect
Double Team

Espeon (f) @ gold berry (Same deal.)
Psychic
Thief
Hidden Power (luckily, a reasonably powerful HP Fighting)
Detect

Nidoking (m) @ berry juice
Surf
Earthquake
Sludge Bomb
Swagger

Espeon, the fastest in the group, opens. Espeon is relatively quick, and also OHKOs dangers like Heracross. If it does get hurt, it uses its berry, and then is free to Thief off whatever item the enemy may have, like Leftovers, or another berry, providing further advantage.

Blissey goes in on every Aerodactyl and laughs as the terrible AI uses Dragon Rage over and over. A good special wall, apart from that.

Nidoking's coverage is pretty cool, especially because of the many types you have to leave out when only using three Pokemon. Surf is good for Fire and Ground-types, Earthquake for Rock and Electric, Sludge Bomb for Grass, and Swagger is a good status move. Nidoking can stand a hit, but you should take it out quickly.

It's not easy, but it is doable. Good luck - you'll need it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 9, 2018
The higher levels are easier due to the number of EVs you can stack up. At level 100 I used:

SNORLAX lvl 100
(Leftovers)
-Curse
-Rest
-Snore
-Earthquake
EVs: max out HP and Special Defense with all extra points in defense.

The other two pokemon a level 2 Ratatta and level 2 Sentret. Seriously, Snorlax alone will win the whole tower for you.

Use Curse 6 times while using Rest to heal. Anything with flying can be taken out with Snore, otherwise use Earthquake. The only pokemon you cant 1 or 2 hit KO is Skarmory, which cant kill you.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 23, 2018
I think I did it with this team:

TYRANITAR L100 @ Quick Claw
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Crunch
Thunderbolt

DRAGONITE L100 @ Focus Band
Wing Attack
Extremespeed
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt

KINGDRA L100 @ Leftovers
Surf
Double Team
Rest
Ice Beam

I think if I really wanted a safe go I'd go for something like the Curselax instead of Tyranitar or Dragonite. Curselax is really powerful in generation II:

SNORLAX L100 @ Leftovers:
Double-Edge
Curse
Rest
Earthquake

The Double Team Rest Kingdra with Leftovers is really powerful. The typing makes Kingdra only weak to other dragons and it has good, balanced stats as well.

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
The above person has an awesome team. Gave them a like for it :P

I wonder if most teams will require some EV training to be usable to win the whole thing, though.....lol But I bet EV training in gen 2 is a royal pain in the a** :/

Back