• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Tek

Years
OK so that's a consensus then :D

Next question: is five days long enough to create the thing or do we set to work on a September challenge?

I would vote for the latter, especially since it's our first one. Also I have a limited number of hours per week that I'll devote to the cause. But then if my main contribution is breeding up some prize Pokémon, that won't really impact development time.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Prizes also don't need to be handed out until the end if August, perhaps? So plenty of time to breed (i hope).

Reactions: Tek
Years
I think we have all major points figured out, so we can do it in August.

I tried to make some kind of 1st post with Inkblots's template:

Spoiler:

Pave Low2

Everything
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 14, 2018
I just had a read of some of the posts above and the idea seems very nice, definitely something a casual challenger can partake in as well. There are probably a decent amount of mini-challenge ideas that can be thought of quite quickly. A possible rule to add with the "The Hundred" challenge is to add a maximum level for the Pokemon you obtain for the challenge, other than that it all looks really good.

Years
I think 5 days is plenty, the only difficult/time consuming work (putting together lists of winners and distributing prizes) will come at the beginning of September after the challenge is over.

I was thinking a challenge of getting a pokemon to level 100 would be perfect, so I'm totally on board for that!

Not sure if we really need to place a limit on max level for the pokemon to start out with - if somebody wants to go the easy route and catch a lvl 50 legendary and level it up, personally, I'm cool with it, they just won't get any prizes other than being on the list of people who completed the challenge.

Perhaps an additional rule could be that you can't use an existing pokemon to do an in-game trade (since I think most, if not all, in-game trades give you a pokemon of the same level - so in theory someone could "cheat" by trading a previously levelled pokemon, and then get the exp bonus on top of it). If someone wants to do an in-game trade to make levelling up faster, they have to trade a pokemon they caught after the challenge started. (technically I guess that's covered in the rule that you can only use pokemon acquired after the challenge starts, but just in case. And on that note, perhaps an "exception" to allow using existing pokemon to help level up?)

Last edited:
Years
Perhaps an additional rule could be that you can't use an existing pokemon to do an in-game trade (since I think most, if not all, in-game trades give you a pokemon of the same level - so in theory someone could "cheat" by trading a previously levelled pokemon, and then get the exp bonus on top of it). If someone wants to do an in-game trade to make levelling up faster, they have to trade a pokemon they caught after the challenge started. (technically I guess that's covered in the rule that you can only use pokemon acquired after the challenge starts, but just in case. And on that note, perhaps an "exception" to allow using existing pokemon to help level up?)

That's a good point. But problem is that it's really hard to control these things. Maybe forbid Pokemon with NPC's OT...

Years
That's a good point. But problem is that it's really hard to control these things. Maybe forbid Pokemon with NPC's OT...

Yeah but, at the end of the day, if someone wants to cheat, they're gonna cheat. My thinking is that the rules are there to clarify what is and is not allowed, and try to keep the playing field as level as possible for those that do want to attempt the challenge legitimately, rather than trying to "control" anything. There's nothing stopping anyone from hacking in a lvl 100 pokemon, taking a screenshot, and passing it off as legitimate, so I say we don't worry about it and just hope that people treat it as a fun event rather than get competitive about it to the point that they feel the need to cheat.

Years
Yeah but, at the end of the day, if someone wants to cheat, they're gonna cheat. My thinking is that the rules are there to clarify what is and is not allowed, and try to keep the playing field as level as possible for those that do want to attempt the challenge legitimately, rather than trying to "control" anything. There's nothing stopping anyone from hacking in a lvl 100 pokemon, taking a screenshot, and passing it off as legitimate, so I say we don't worry about it and just hope that people treat it as a fun event rather than get competitive about it to the point that they feel the need to cheat.

Okay :)

So, will you create thread, when it's time?

Tek

Years
Please add this or something like it to the thread when you post it:

For this mini-challenge, everyone who completes will get a super-fast Pokémon! It's a secret exactly which one, but it's one of the fastest and strong, too.

The prize Pokémon will be distributed by Tek on (dates) at (times). Message Tek with your FC when you've completed the challenge, and add Tek to your Friend List (FC: 5000 7369 9451).

I'll update this post with the distribution times after I take a look at my calendar.

Years
Please add this or something like it to the thread when you post it:

I'll update this post with the distribution times after I take a look at my calendar.

Sure thing :) And take your time, if you don't have a date by the time I post it, I'll just put "to be announced" or something like that

Tek

Years
Sure thing :) And take your time, if you don't have a date by the time I post it, I'll just put "to be announced" or something like that

Thanks! The prize distributions for each event will happen on the first Saturday of the following month. The times of distributions on that day will be from 09:00-10:00 Central Time and from 21:00-22:00 Central Time.

2017 Prize Distribution Schedule

Spoiler:

So the prize info for August's challenge should read like this:

Spoiler:

On a different note, will we be verifying completion of the challenge? For this one, we can have challengers post a pic of the Pokémon as soon as they capture/hatch it and post a second pic upon completion. The pictures should show the OT # and level of the Pokémon.

I agree that we don't need to control people's play. But I also expect that someone who makes the effort to complete the challenge doesn't want to wait in line for a prize behind someone who didn't make the effort. Personally, I don't care either way unless we have a large number of participants.

Also, any ideas for prize Pokémon are welcome. The one I'm working on now could easily be used for a later challenge.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
re: "late in the day" Remember there are europeans and asians and australians here too (8

I'll check the forums regularly to see if there's an event thread up, and when I see it, I'll accept and sticky it.

Last edited:
Years
On a different note, will we be verifying completion of the challenge? For this one, we can have challengers post a pic of the Pokémon as soon as they capture/hatch it and post a second pic upon completion. The pictures should show the OT # and level of the Pokémon.

I agree that we don't need to control people's play. But I also expect that someone who makes the effort to complete the challenge doesn't want to wait in line for a prize behind someone who didn't make the effort. Personally, I don't care either way unless we have a large number of participants.

IMHO the most important details are Date of the catch and Level. I don't think it's necessary to have a pic of the catch/hatch as it can be easily discovered, when the Pokemon was captured/hatched.

We can recommend to post both catch/hatch and final screen, but I wouldn't require it.

Years
re: "late in the day" Remember there are europeans and asians and australians here too (8

I'll check the forums regularly to see if there's an event thread up, and when I see it, I'll accept and sticky it.

I know that's part of why I suggested posting it today - it would already be Aug 2 for the Australians by the time I posted it if I waited till the 1st lol (I'm in Ontario, Canada)

As far as prizes, I am going to require some proof if they want a prize - it'll just be a screenshot of the pokemon when it was first captured, showing the ID# of the pokemon, and then the same pokemon at lvl 100 - but if they aren't interested in the prize and just want to be listed as having completed the challenge, I won't require anything.

Reactions: Tek
Years

It's submitted :) (well it was actually submitted a couple hours ago but I had to run literally as soon as I hit the submit button)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
It's submitted :) (well it was actually submitted a couple hours ago but I had to run literally as soon as I hit the submit button)
Great! I approved and stickied it. When I have time at a computer later, I can make a Bulletin Board post to advertise it a bit, and I'll also make sure to buzz the event to social media (:

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
Hi! I was told by one of the moderators to post a request/thought I had here. I was wondering if we could get a thread going that would rate/review/rank Challenge logs so people that post them could get feedback in a constructive way and people that are looking for a good read could easily sort through what they might like to read?

I'm new to being an active poster here so any thoughts/ideas would be welcome!

Thanks for your time!
KNOST

Back