• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What I your favourite? And what isn't ? Gen 1 pokemon

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 28, 2018
As the title says,which Gen one pokemon do you like and which do you hate?

I love Arcanine,as a kid new to pokemon when I first saw it I knew it was my favourite, great design,they dont call it the legendary pokemon for nothing.

Gloom is my most disliked pokemon in general ,as youd see on my card openings I just hate it lol,just dont like it design wise,think its ugly and looks dopey,very appealing.

Be good to hear others

Cheers.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
As the title says,which Gen one pokemon do you like and which do you hate?

I love Arcanine,as a kid new to pokemon when I first saw it I knew it was my favourite, great design,they dont call it the legendary pokemon for nothing.

Gloom is my most disliked pokemon in general ,as youd see on my card openings I just hate it lol,just dont like it design wise,think its ugly and looks dopey,very appealing.

Be good to hear others

Cheers.

Favorite Pokemon for me would be Vulpix. I've been a Generation 1 player since Yellow came out and Vulpix was my favorite Fire Type(Brock in the Anime not withstanding). With an Alolan variant now having been introduced in Generation 7, its making me contemplate getting Sun just to acquire one. As for a Pokemon I dislike... eh kind of harsh to rip on a Pokemon but I suppose for Generation 1, it'd have to be Bug Types(Scyther, Pinsir, etc.). Not because I dislike them but because Bug Type moves were few and very weak. Its why Psychic Types were so OP and likely why they were enhanced(along with introducing Dark Types) in Generation 2.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I have quite a few favorite Gen one Pokemon I like. The Pokemon I like the most is Mewtwo. Mewtwo's design looks amazing, he's a strong legendary Pokemon, and the students in School had a hard time defeating my Mewtwo on my Blue Version.

The Pokemon I dislike are Voltorb and Electrode. Their design is so boring and the selfdestruct move is so ridiculous.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 28, 2018
Favorite Pokemon for me would be Vulpix. I've been a Generation 1 player since Yellow came out and Vulpix was my favorite Fire Type(Brock in the Anime not withstanding). With an Alolan variant now having been introduced in Generation 7, its making me contemplate getting Sun just to acquire one. As for a Pokemon I dislike... eh kind of harsh to rip on a Pokemon but I suppose for Generation 1, it'd have to be Bug Types(Scyther, Pinsir, etc.). Not because I dislike them but because Bug Type moves were few and very weak. Its why Psychic Types were so OP and likely why they were enhanced(along with introducing Dark Types) in Generation 2.
I think Scyther is amazballs lol I have one at lvl 100 that I have had for years now,I thinks its good that people have there own tastes when it come pokemon.

Vulpix seems to be a popular choice though,I remember at school everyone loved that thing.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 28, 2018
I have quite a few favorite Gen one Pokemon I like. The Pokemon I like the most is Mewtwo. Mewtwo's design looks amazing, he's a strong legendary Pokemon, and the students in School had a hard time defeating my Mewtwo on my Blue Version.

The Pokemon I dislike are Voltorb and Electrode. Their design is so boring and the selfdestruct move is so ridiculous.

See this is another example of taste I love Electrode lol Mewtwo will always be king hes a boss!

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I think Scyther is amazballs lol I have one at lvl 100 that I have had for years now,I thinks its good that people have there own tastes when it come pokemon.

Vulpix seems to be a popular choice though,I remember at school everyone loved that thing.

I didn't hate on Scyther specifically but Bug Types in general for Generation 1. Scyther doesn't learn a Bug-Type move, hence he doesn't fully utilize his Bug Typing. Not to mention that the only Bug Type moves are String Shot(speed reducer), Leech Life(weak power of 20 in Generation 1 compared to 80 in Generation 7), Twineedle(again weak power of 25) and Pin Missle(weak base power of 14, although I suppose of all the moves, this one is the strongest based on how lucky you are but 85 Accuracy stinks). There's no Fury Cutter(introduced in Gen 2) or X-Scissor(Introduced in Gen 4), hence again why Bug Types were weak in Generation 1. Butterfree, Scyther and Pinsir don't learn damaging Bug Type moves in Generation 1, Paras and Venonat learn just one(Leech Life) while Beedril is the only one to learn two(Twineedle and Pin Missle). Heck, Scyther doesn't learn any Flying Type moves in Generation 1 either unless you have Yellow version(wherein he learns WIng Attack at level 50).

The sheer lack of Bug Type moves on Bug Type Pokemon for STAB is why I dislike them. Heck Jolteon is popular in Generation 1 simply because it learns Pin Missle(making it an off-typing counter to Psychic Types thanks to its Speed). I like Vulpix because its a Fox Pokemon. Eevee is a favorite of mine too but Vulpix takes the prize.

Years
my favourite Gen1 is Venusaur.
My first pokemon was Bulbasaur and I was so happy when it finally reached Venusaur.
If i remember correctly, my Venusaur beat 2 of the Elite 4 by itself. Lorelei and Bruno didnt stand a chance.
Second would be Rapidash.

My least favourite is Pikachu (shock and horror) and for one reason....
It's portrayed as this insanely powerful pokemon....when in reality it is easily outclassed by other Gen1 Electric pokemon:
Raichu with Thunderbolt or Thunder
Magnemite & Magneton with Thunderbolt
Voltorb & Electrode with Thunderbolt or Thunder
Electabuzz with Thunderpunch
Jolteon with Thunder
Zapdos (obviously because its a legendary) with Thunderbolt

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
My favourite from Gen 1 is definitely - no surprise to anyone that has met me - Sandshrew! Its absolutely adorable and I love how cool yet simple his design is. It's the perfect mixture of cute and impressive whilst having some very unique features in his lore.

My least favourite from Gen 1 is most likely Alakazam. I know he's very popular but personally I just find the idea of training a weird man-cat with an IQ 50x higher than my own to be a bit uncomfortable! I don't like human-like Pokémon as a whole to begin with (I find the idea of training a human very creepy!) and coupling that with his intelligence, I think if anything I should be the one being trained in this situation! Not a fan.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
My favorite gen 1 Pokemon, and about my third or fourth favorite Pokemon in general, is Ditto! :] It can turn into ~*anything*~! That's so awesome, and opens up so many interesting possibilities for fanfiction and the like. And the one time I used it in a playthrough was loads of fun.

Another favorite of mine is Jynx. Yes, really! >:| A lot of people dislike this Pokemon because of how uncomfortably human-looking it is, and how weird it is to think of it acting like a Pokemon; but personally, that's what I love about it. I mean, how cool is it that we have, basically, an Uncanny Valley Pokemon?! Its dex entries even note that it makes sounds vaguely similar to human language, but nobody can discern what it's saying. Seriously, I can easily imagine something like that as a horror movie monster; but in this series, it's just your little magical friend who is so happy training to be the very best with you. And that's what I love about Pokemon.

My least favorite has gotta be Electrode. Now, don't get me wrong - I actually like Voltorb. It's basically Pokemon's own unique take on the classic "mimic" monster; its dex entries imply some pretty intriguing stuff about how it came to be; and it's just plain cool to battle with a sentient Pokeball. I'm just extremely disappointed that they didn't go anywhere else with that concept than "blow it up many times larger than a Pokeball and flip the iconic color scheme upside down". I mean...that goes against the whole concept of the Pokemon (that it looks like a dang Pokeball)!
Basically, I think that Voltorb is so much more than the "ball with eyes" the fandom sees it as, while Electrode is exactly that. (It's even worse once you realize that there was a more fitting idea for a Voltorb evolution sitting right there - THE GREAT BALL!)

Last edited:
Years
My favorite gen 1 Pokemon is easily Dragonite.

I have always been drawn to mythological creatures, especially dragons and collected posters and figurines of dragons. I love to see them represented in movies and books and could even find the constellation of Draco in the sky at an early age. It was later that I discovered I was born under the year of the Dragon according to the Chinese calendar.

A typing based on the magical creatures from myths that inspired me was something I would never be able to resist. It remains my favorite Pokemon typing. Dragons are proud, beautiful, captivating, powerful, sacred, intuitive creatures that offer magic, wisdom can find find riches. They are literally royalty-- the symbol for kingdoms, emperors and goddesses. And Dragonite's line is where it all began. This was the first and only one of its kind.

It was rarely depicted on the television show, and on the few occasion it was it was always shrouded in mystery and a subject of awe like The Mystery of the Lighthouse episode, or the banned Safari zone episode. It was not something for mere mortals, so obtaining one made me feel special, more so than catching come legendaries at times.

To add to its elusiveness there was only one way to obtain Dragonite legitimately. It was late game and only found in one area, the safari zone. Its encounter rate was not high, you had to fish for it and get a bite, you had a limited amount of time to catch it in before the safari game ended, if you found it the catch rate would be low and because it was a safari hunt you had to use bad pokeballs to capture a pseudo legendary Pokemon, and you could not battle it obviously to weaken it. With all of these factors working against you it was very likely to break out of the safari ball. Then it could flee from you. I remember my batteries dying on my gameboy color once in the middle of a long dratini encounter while I was on a road trip. Even if you did catch it-- you still had work to do. It evolved later than any Pokemon in the game. It was a slow process that required patience and meant that you really had to be sure that this was a Pokemon you wanted. Raising a Dragonite was like a test of your character. To see if you really deserved the holy grail. And all of that time really helps strengthen the bond between a boy/girl and their Dragonite.

If you held fast then what a Pokemon you were rewarded with! It is built like the mountain. It had the highest attack in the game at that time, a hyperbeam coming from it was not only devastating but required no recharge if it ohko. The mechanics of wrap meant it could block an opponent from moving altogether by keeping them under wrap for 2-5 turns. Its movepool stretched from here to Timbuktu. It could paralyze you with t-wave, pop out a blizzard for 110 damage 90% accuracy and maybe freeze you solid. It could be a surprisingly effective special attacker, getting its claws on all the main elemental moves. It was just monstrous. When you sent it into battle you were releasing the kraken.

To this day it is my favorite dragon pokemon. It is still a very good pokemon and holds so much nostalgia for me. I'm a grown woman in my 20s, but every time I take a look at this Pokemon's design I just squeal. It is the sweetest-looking Pokemon I have ever seen. He's a good guy, the gentle giant who rescues humans who are lost at sea and it shows in his design. The entire Dratini line all have these precious-looking, big, sad jewel-like eyes and round snouts that I cannot take my eyes of off. Each stage holds a different personality and appeal to their design Dratini is cute, shy and vulnerable, Dragonair is beautiful, elegant and mysterious and Dragonite is loving, fun and silly. I think they make up a wonderful line of Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Favorites: Mew or Arcanine. I can't chose between the two ;-; Mostly love them for their designs, but I have had both on my team before and love using them.

Least Favorites: Koffing and Raticate. I blame Team Rocket for this :<

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 28, 2018
Hey my favourite is Bulbasaur

I h8 squirtle and charmander they get the fame while bulbasaur cries in the corner
Spread this messege!: #BulbasaurLiveMatter!
Good to see the Venu love my friend,Bulbasaur FTW!!
my favourite Gen1 is Venusaur.
My first pokemon was Bulbasaur and I was so happy when it finally reached Venusaur.
If i remember correctly, my Venusaur beat 2 of the Elite 4 by itself. Lorelei and Bruno didnt stand a chance.
Second would be Rapidash.

My least favourite is Pikachu (shock and horror) and for one reason....
It's portrayed as this insanely powerful pokemon....when in reality it is easily outclassed by other Gen1 Electric pokemon:
Raichu with Thunderbolt or Thunder
Magnemite & Magneton with Thunderbolt
Voltorb & Electrode with Thunderbolt or Thunder
Electabuzz with Thunderpunch
Jolteon with Thunder
Zapdos (obviously because its a legendary) with Thunderbolt
More Bulbasaur love!!! I agree with your opinion when it comes to Pikachu,totally right! I did start with yellow version so was disappointed when I couldnt make it evolve.
My favourite from Gen 1 is definitely - no surprise to anyone that has met me - Sandshrew! Its absolutely adorable and I love how cool yet simple his design is. It's the perfect mixture of cute and impressive whilst having some very unique features in his lore.

My least favourite from Gen 1 is most likely Alakazam. I know he's very popular but personally I just find the idea of training a weird man-cat with an IQ 50x higher than my own to be a bit uncomfortable! I don't like human-like Pokémon as a whole to begin with (I find the idea of training a human very creepy!) and coupling that with his intelligence, I think if anything I should be the one being trained in this situation! Not a fan.
I love Sandslash,really good design,same goes for the Alolan forms too.
My favorite gen 1 Pokemon, and about my third or fourth favorite Pokemon in general, is Ditto! :] It can turn into ~*anything*~! That's so awesome, and opens up so many interesting possibilities for fanfiction and the like. And the one time I used it in a playthrough was loads of fun.

Another favorite of mine is Jynx. Yes, really! >:| A lot of people dislike this Pokemon because of how uncomfortably human-looking it is, and how weird it is to think of it acting like a Pokemon; but personally, that's what I love about it. I mean, how cool is it that we have, basically, an Uncanny Valley Pokemon?! Its dex entries even note that it makes sounds vaguely similar to human language, but nobody can discern what it's saying. Seriously, I can easily imagine something like that as a horror movie monster; but in this series, it's just your little magical friend who is so happy training to be the very best with you. And that's what I love about Pokemon.

My least favorite has gotta be Electrode. Now, don't get me wrong - I actually like Voltorb. It's basically Pokemon's own unique take on the classic "mimic" monster; its dex entries imply some pretty intriguing stuff about how it came to be; and it's just plain cool to battle with a sentient Pokeball. I'm just extremely disappointed that they didn't go anywhere else with that concept than "blow it up many times larger than a Pokeball and flip the iconic color scheme upside down". I mean...that goes against the whole concept of the Pokemon (that it looks like a dang Pokeball)!
Basically, I think that Voltorb is so much more than the "ball with eyes" the fandom sees it as, while Electrode is exactly that. (It's even worse once you realize that there was a more fitting idea for a Voltorb evolution sitting right there - THE GREAT BALL!)
Jynx is abit weird lol but hey its gotta have some fans out there,and what you just said sort of gives me a different veiw on Jynx so good job there my friend!!
My favorite gen 1 Pokemon is easily Dragonite.

I have always been drawn to mythological creatures, especially dragons and collected posters and figurines of dragons. I love to see them represented in movies and books and could even find the constellation of Draco in the sky at an early age. It was later that I discovered I was born under the year of the Dragon according to the Chinese calendar.

A typing based on the magical creatures from myths that inspired me was something I would never be able to resist. It remains my favorite Pokemon typing. Dragons are proud, beautiful, captivating, powerful, sacred, intuitive creatures that offer magic, wisdom can find find riches. They are literally royalty-- the symbol for kingdoms, emperors and goddesses. And Dragonite's line is where it all began. This was the first and only one of its kind.

It was rarely depicted on the television show, and on the few occasion it was it was always shrouded in mystery and a subject of awe like The Mystery of the Lighthouse episode, or the banned Safari zone episode. It was not something for mere mortals, so obtaining one made me feel special, more so than catching come legendaries at times.

To add to its elusiveness there was only one way to obtain Dragonite legitimately. It was late game and only found in one area, the safari zone. Its encounter rate was not high, you had to fish for it and get a bite, you had a limited amount of time to catch it in before the safari game ended, if you found it the catch rate would be low and because it was a safari hunt you had to use bad pokeballs to capture a pseudo legendary Pokemon, and you could not battle it obviously to weaken it. With all of these factors working against you it was very likely to break out of the safari ball. Then it could flee from you. I remember my batteries dying on my gameboy color once in the middle of a long dratini encounter while I was on a road trip. Even if you did catch it-- you still had work to do. It evolved later than any Pokemon in the game. It was a slow process that required patience and meant that you really had to be sure that this was a Pokemon you wanted. Raising a Dragonite was like a test of your character. To see if you really deserved the holy grail. And all of that time really helps strengthen the bond between a boy/girl and their Dragonite.

If you held fast then what a Pokemon you were rewarded with! It is built like the mountain. It had the highest attack in the game at that time, a hyperbeam coming from it was not only devastating but required no recharge if it ohko. The mechanics of wrap meant it could block an opponent from moving altogether by keeping them under wrap for 2-5 turns. Its movepool stretched from here to Timbuktu. It could paralyze you with t-wave, pop out a blizzard for 110 damage 90% accuracy and maybe freeze you solid. It could be a surprisingly effective special attacker, getting its claws on all the main elemental moves. It was just monstrous. When you sent it into battle you were releasing the kraken.

To this day it is my favorite dragon pokemon. It is still a very good pokemon and holds so much nostalgia for me. I'm a grown woman in my 20s, but every time I take a look at this Pokemon's design I just squeal. It is the sweetest-looking Pokemon I have ever seen. He's a good guy, the gentle giant who rescues humans who are lost at sea and it shows in his design. The entire Dratini line all have these precious-looking, big, sad jewel-like eyes and round snouts that I cannot take my eyes of off. Each stage holds a different personality and appeal to their design Dratini is cute, shy and vulnerable, Dragonair is beautiful, elegant and mysterious and Dragonite is loving, fun and silly. I think they make up a wonderful line of Pokemon.
THIS!! I remember trying to catch one as a kid and it was one of the hardest things I've done on that game! The way you have worded this is exactly how I felt raising Tyranitar on Gold version,T-Tar is my second favourite of all time,it took tonnes of patience to raise this bad boy and as a kid I had no idea what was coming when it was about to evolve into the green beast that is Tyranitar,couldnt be more happy when i finally got there.

Post of the day right here cheers! Good read!!

Favorites: Mew or Arcanine. I can't chose between the two ;-; Mostly love them for their designs, but I have had both on my team before and love using them.

Least Favorites: Koffing and Raticate. I blame Team Rocket for this :<
Arcanine Is my favourite Gen 1 pokemon hands down!! good taste my friend!
Charizard is my favorite Gen 1 Pokémon!
Another Charizard FANBOY/GIRL lol nah I'm kidding,Who dosent love Charizard,he is a boss!!

Good comments guys!! cheers!

Years
  • Age 43
  • NC
  • Seen Mar 29, 2018
My favorite has been Jolteon, with a close second being Sandslash. I don't really have a lot of pokemon I immediately dislike, I have a few whose designs I thought could have been better. But for the most part I like them all.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Pidgeot is my favorite Generation I Pokémon of all time, because it's so majestic. Its Mega evolution is more so.

As for my least...

(sigh)

Charizard.

(prepares to get Fire Blasted)

Years
My favorites: Nidoking, Fearow, Raticate, Vileplume, Nidoqueen, Ninetales, Rhydon, Onix, Machamp, Blastoise, Pidgeot, Primeape, Butterfree and Golbat.
My least favorite: That is a hard one, but is probably tangela (I just don't see the usefulness of this thing, and it's design, ugh, no words).

Last edited:
Back