• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Record breaking heat across the globe

Years
Hey guys! It's no news that temperatures everywhere have been really something in the northern hemisphere. There have been deaths and hospitalizations. So I thought maybe we could discuss it!

Is global warning coming faster than thought?
Some scientists say that soon these will be normal temperatures, could you adjust?
What are some ways to cool off you do?
Do you think cities should start to designate areas, like public places, for those without ac to cool off during this?

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
"Climate change" is a more accurate term for it and yes it is happening faster than expected. Keeping track of everything the fluctuating temperatures affect is difficult.

Adjusting to the temperature changes won't be a problem. The souped up storms might cause trouble every once in a while. Fortunately most of them are easy to track.

Air conditioning, ice cream, walking in shade, and traveling outside in the morning or late in the afternoon.

Yes, if the demand is there and they don't have any. I think most cities in hot places have some sort of cooling zone or at least a number of public places with air conditioning.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Climate Change happened, and we all let that happen.

Even if we invested 200% of our lives into a perfectly clean and efficient lifestyle that's environmentally friendly, it would still be undermined by powerful crooks who put themselves above the law and giving numerous corporations the legal luxuries and rights to reverse all our efforts.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Climate Change happened, and we all let that happen.

Even if we invested 200% of our lives into a perfectly clean and efficient lifestyle that's environmentally friendly, it would still be undermined by powerful crooks who put themselves above the law and giving numerous corporations the legal luxuries and rights to reverse all our efforts.

Yep that's exactly what is happening. Humanity is the virus of the planet. We're the only species that destroys it's planet for profit and control. Our actions have caused many animals to go extinct as well. Mother Nature will wipe us out to get rid of the virus and restart.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Global warming is simply sensationalist media, I say.

Fear mongering to induce guilt on humanity, even though simple climate change has been a thing throughout all of Earth's history. It's pretty arrogant of humanity in general to assume it's due to us or not. It would've happened with or without us, as it has for the last several billions of years.

Climate change happens, but global warming is nonsense with not a leg to stand on, as far as I'm concerned. The fact a raging hypocrite like Al Gore is the spokesman behind it is further proof of its nonsense.

Last edited:

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
Global warming is simply sensationalist media, I say.

Fear mongering to induce guilt on humanity, even though simple climate change has been a thing throughout all of Earth's history. It's pretty arrogant of humanity in general to assume it's due to us or not. It would've happened with or without us, as it has for the last several billions of years.

Climate change happens, but global warming is nonsense with not a leg to stand on, as far as I'm concerned. The fact a raging hypocrite like Al Gore is the spokesman behind it is further proof of its nonsense.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
I posted that to help show how humans have negatively affected the natural fluctuation of the Earth's climate.

Global warming refers to a specific part of climate change. It's not the only factor but it is one. You can find evidence supporting it on the same website.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Yep that's exactly what is happening. Humanity is the virus of the planet. We're the only species that destroys it's planet for profit and control. Our actions have caused many animals to go extinct as well. Mother Nature will wipe us out to get rid of the virus and restart.

I guess what bothers me is vilifying humans (which we all are, unless claiming you're not is now the newest trend) and our current way of life, as seen here.

I don't see ShinyUmbreon giving up their internet and current way of life, despite feeling this way. Why not? Practice what you preach, or don't try to rally up notions like this, is what I think. Or expect to be called out for hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Years
I think the thing there, is that this is a change that has to happen at an institutional level not an individual one. A few people dropping off the internet, or even a lot of people, isn't going to change anything when the majority of our power still comes from burning coal, oil and gas and with dangerous processes like fracking not only no stopping but actually becoming more widely spread.

Everyday people can't make that switch, governments and businesses have to do that.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I think the thing there, is that this is a change that has to happen at an institutional level not an individual one. A few people dropping off the internet, or even a lot of people, isn't going to change anything when the majority of our power still comes from burning coal, oil and gas and with dangerous processes like fracking not only no stopping but actually becoming more widely spread.

Everyday people can't make that switch, governments and businesses have to do that.

Yeah, but if more people had the same conviction for it, it wouldn't remain a small number, was more my point. But most everyone who likes to complain doesn't actually do anything to remedy their complaints.

If each of those same people actually took steps, it would have an impact. But it's always easier to just gripe instead...

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
If each of those same people actually took steps, it would have an impact. But it's always easier to just gripe instead...

No it wouldn't. Individual contribution to climate change is incredibly minor, especially among the majority (ie the poor)

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think that there's something of a point in Enpatsu's most recent post (that sort of more applies in general), but I agree that in regards to carbon emissions, individuals can't really reduce them to a significant enough degree. 10 million people could tomorrow completely stop using electricity and motor vehicles for the rest of their lives, and it wouldn't really do much. Most people aren't really willing to give up those things anyway, or for many it's not an option at all.

World needs to start shifitng towards finding and using more and more alternative/renewable energy sources anyway for the inevitable day that oil/coal/natural gas runs out. Not that you'll see those corporations pursue those avenues anytime soon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I think that there's something of a point in Enpatsu's most recent post (that sort of more applies in general), but I agree that in regards to carbon emissions, individuals can't really reduce them to a significant enough degree. 10 million people could tomorrow completely stop using electricity and motor vehicles for the rest of their lives, and it wouldn't really do much. Most people aren't really willing to give up those things anyway, or for many it's not an option at all.

World needs to start shifitng towards finding and using more and more alternative/renewable energy sources anyway for the inevitable day that oil/coal/natural gas runs out. Not that you'll see those corporations pursue those avenues anytime soon.

Yeah, the gist of my point was basically less vilifying/whining/griping and taking more action.

Even if it DID help to revert back to 100 years ago, that's the antithesis of progress. I believe we can have our cake and eat it too, we just need to find new and better methods. And it's still not too late either.

I'd rather that effort used to complain and all that be used in a different way to actually get there.

Years
It's major corporations that make the most waste not individual citizens.
Don't attack strangers online who use minimal resources.

Years
This is scapegoating, in my opinion.

It literally isn't yes people can reduce their waste and make it a bit easier in their cities but until the big polluters make an effort the change will be minimal. Huge companies buy out of having to use clean methods so waste continues.

Do you honestly think someone on pc makes as much waste as like walmart? There needs to be global change not just nitpicking random people.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
It literally isn't yes people can reduce their waste and make it a bit easier in their cities but until the big polluters make an effort the change will be minimal. Huge companies buy out of having to use clean methods so waste continues.

Do you honestly think someone on pc makes as much waste as like walmart? There needs to be global change not just nitpicking random people.

I think the notions of blaming the 'corporations' is tired and petty.

Where do your parents work, by the way? A nice little mom and pop store? Doubt it. Corporations keep this country going.

And you're missing my point. Of course emissions by single people is far smaller than any large group, be it a business or even household, but my biggest point was instead of endlessly complaining, people need to either cut back and practice what they preach or come up with better methods for progress.

These constant scapegoats and vilification on how humanity lives these days is so juvenile and senseless, nor does it accomplish anything.

Years
I think the notions of blaming the 'corporations' is tired and petty.

Where do your parents work, by the way? A nice little mom and pop store? Doubt it. Corporations keep this country going.

And you're missing my point. Of course emissions by single people is far smaller than any large group, be it a business or even household, but my biggest point was instead of endlessly complaining, people need to either cut back and practice what they preach or come up with better methods for progress.

These constant scapegoats and vilification on how humanity lives these days is so juvenile and senseless, nor does it accomplish anything.

It's the constant pressure from "juvenile vilification" that has lead to the few improvements governments and businesses have made as far as conservation and pollution goes. Furthermore, you're making a lot of assumptions about how the people you're talking to live - you have no idea what efforts have been made by individual people to reduce their emissions. On top of that numerous better ways of getting our power have been put forward by people lobbying for a change but the corporations that run the world - despite the fact the shouldn't - do not make those changes and are only supported by the governments they buy our or the crackpot conspiracy theorists they pay to maintain the status quo.

Large corporations, governments and the wealth who aren't using their ridiculously vast resources in a positive way should be vilified because their greed is the most central factor in obliterating the stable environment the human race needs to survive.

Years
If corporations close down just because the government is like hey you should recycle then im just :/
How can you support that attitude and letting them get away with what they do?
By the way my parents are 70 and retired

Back