• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advance Map Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
sooo poketscript is da same as advance map? like what the numbers represent in advance map do they represent the same thing in poketscript? oh yea and what do you choose in poketscript to add a script to the rom? ,encode,decode,database,source decode? tell me what each thing does plz i aint no noob i understand everything in advance map warps and all but jus poketscript

Bishopk

meow :)
Years
  • CO
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
Let's see if I can answer these questions.
Please help me (Don't worry, it's about AdvanceMap)
I have a couple probs:

1) Even though I selected English, the few menus are German
2) Most of the menus say stuff like [11 Menue].
3) I don't even know what I'm doing because there is no meaningful text that I understand. Every dropdown menu is like [112 Menue] and so on.
Please, how do I fix this?
Settings > Languages > English
I've had to do this every time I restarted A-Map.

Hello,

I was just making my own little hack for my Leaf Green, and so I made a new map, easy. I made the warps, works perfectly. So I had put legendary pokemon in my new map, works fine.

I TRIED to hide Master Balls, Rare Candies and Nuggets... Did not work as well.
Any help would be appreciated =)
If you want them invisible: Create a signpost and then select 'Hidden Item'. Now you just have to choose Master Balls, Nuggets and Rare Candies :)

If you want them to be inside Pokeballs, script of copy an offset from somewhere else :)
Inside Pokéballs:
Create a person event, and use sprite 92 as the image of the Pokéball. Make the event so it will give you the item.

Sorry, I can't really help with any of the other questions.

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2008
this is off topic but i cant find the answer anywere when i go on events then choose a sprite and go on open script it says no script editor defined but i have advanced text what should i do

Iken

The OTHER other white meat.
Years
Well quick question.

-Is there an undo button or hotkey? i'm getting a bit frusterated -_-"

please an thankyou ^^

Bishopk

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
this is off topic but i cant find the answer anywere when i go on events then choose a sprite and go on open script it says no script editor defined but i have advanced text what should i do

In Settings, click Choose Script Editor and select your script editor. Advance Text is not a script editor, it only changes the words trainers say.
For a script editor, I would suggest PKSV

Well quick question.

-Is there an undo button or hotkey? i'm getting a bit frusterated -_-"

please an thankyou ^^

No :( You just need to be careful with the mapping. Ctrl-Z goes to the events tab, for some reason.

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2010
How come when I try to do warps I can go into the house, but when I come out it takes me out to the middle of the city, not outside of the entrance of the same house. Also sometimes it won't let me come out. How do I fix that?

Bishopk

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
How come when I try to do warps I can go into the house, but when I come out it takes me out to the middle of the city, not outside of the entrance of the same house. Also sometimes it won't let me come out. How do I fix that?

Make sure the warp you're linking to is:
a) the right warp. You can select which warp to go to, it will be numbered.
b) in the right place. Move it, if necessary.

V.L.

The site's biggest noob
Years
I'm trying to add an event, and I can't. :S I've done it before, so I don't know why I can't now. Any suggestions?

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2011
Does anyone knows how to insert new names on Advanced Map, or any other way to insert new names?.

fleek

Fleekinator
Years
Does anyone knows how to insert new names on Advanced Map, or any other way to insert new names?.

If you mean, change map names, I can help.

Go to HEADER, and then you'll see the name of the town/route/city at the top. Simply delete, and retype the name you want above the "Change Name" Button, and it will be renamed.

FlameShocker

C++/ASM Programmer
Years
Can someone tell me...

...how map connections work (actually, I just need to know how offsets work with map connections)? If you have an answer, please send me a PM.

Pokemon Professor

~The Expert~
Years
Ok, I have a problem with renaming maps.

This is my problem:

I am using Fire Red. The ROM is completely compatible with all the hacking software. It works great in Advance Map. But, when I make a new bank, the maps take on other names.
That is, I was editing the Indigo Plateau map last. I save it and then go and make a new bank. Any new maps I make in it will then have the name Indigo Plateau.
If I change that in the header, though, it changes the name of the main Indigo Plateau as well - they're somehow connected. Is there a way to seperate them so I can have different names or at least give them different names?

knook

Standing on the Sun
Years
Everytime I try to add a scipt (I'm using Trainer Editor to make the scripts) It says "No script editor defined"

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
I need help Inserting New Maps... Everytime i Try to insert one it Links itself to Little Root... i dont want it linked to that... How do i change that?

Pokemon Professor

~The Expert~
Years
Lostt, I have the same problem. It seems to link to the previous map you were in. You can remoe all linked warps and scripts etc. but changing the name changes both so they're still in some way linked.

knook said:
Everytime I try to add a scipt (I'm using Trainer Editor to make the scripts) It says "No script editor defined"

You need to set your default script editor for AdvancedMap first. I recommend using Pokéscript as that is the best editor but since you use Notepad for that, you don't need to script edit in AdvancedMap. However, it's good to check your scripts still and you can change some existing ones so what you probably want is eXtreme Script Editor. Download it from Whack a Hack (google that if you're unsure of the website). Just go to Settings>Choose Script Editor in AdvancedMap, locate eXtreme Script Editor and you're done. If you want to use Trainer Editor, that's fine. Just do the same but choose Trainer Editor.

Now, for Pokéscript, you should be able to find a download somewhere on the Pokecommunity forums. If not, tell me and I'll send you a download link. Everyone complains about Version 1.2 but it works fine. You just need to save your notepad edited script in your "scripts" folder in your Pokescript folder (which is usually C:\Pokewitch but not necessarily. If the scripts folder doesn't exist, create one).

Hope this helps!

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2008
Error

Ok, when I go to delete then save the connections to each map I get an Error:
"I/O error 131"
If anyone would be able to help I would greatly appreciate it.

Korronensu

Scrap Punk
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 28, 2010
Okay. I'm new to this whole thing, but I grew accustomed to Advance Map very quickly. There are three things that I can't get to work, though.

First, I cannot rename maps properly. I use the designated function in the header, and it does rename the map, but afterwards, the map is un-editable, and pretends not to exist as a map anymore. Specific help would be very appreciated.

Second, though I understand warps quite clearly now, I cannot get any warps to maps I inserted to work. I've been hammering at this problem for a day now, and would love if someone could tell me exactly how to get 100% original maps to work properly.

Lastly, I don't understand how to use the Person ID for Person Events. When trying to create new person events, I'm prone to copy-pasting the scripts, which seems to work, except for one thing... all of them become looping events. Example: In Veridian forest, I duplicated the person event that makes the pokeball with the antidote inside to the right side of the forest. Both existed, but the clone reappeared inifinitely if you just walked one step away from it. I want it to be a one-time event like the antidote it was cloned from, but it won't. Also, I can't get rock-smashable rocks to work. Any helps would be very appreicaited.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Pokemon Professor

~The Expert~
Years
Okay. I'm new to this whole thing, but I grew accustomed to Advance Map very quickly. There are three things that I can't get to work, though.

1) First, I cannot rename maps properly. I use the designated function in the header, and it does rename the map, but afterwards, the map is un-editable, and pretends not to exist as a map anymore. Specific help would be very appreciated.

2) Second, though I understand warps quite clearly now, I cannot get any warps to maps I inserted to work. I've been hammering at this problem for a day now, and would love if someone could tell me exactly how to get 100% original maps to work properly.

3) Lastly, I don't understand how to use the Person ID for Person Events. When trying to create new person events, I'm prone to copy-pasting the scripts, which seems to work, except for one thing... all of them become looping events. Example: In Veridian forest, I duplicated the person event that makes the pokeball with the antidote inside to the right side of the forest. Both existed, but the clone reappeared inifinitely if you just walked one step away from it. I want it to be a one-time event like the antidote it was cloned from, but it won't. Also, I can't get rock-smashable rocks to work. Any helps would be very appreicaited.

Thank you in advance.

Okay dude, I'm not fantastic with AM but let's see if I can help you.

For the sake of it, I've numbered your entries so I can refer to them easily. I'm not very good with 3 (but I'll do some research and test things - I learn quickly so I should be able to help you there) but #2 is easy yet I know what you mean - it's tricky to start.

1) When you change the name, make sure to change the name on the left hand side but also select in the drop down box YOUR MAP. If you have cloned a map to start a new one, possibly that it branches off, you need to select that new map (make sure that you are working on the new map so it's in the right map bank to select it). I just answered my own question as I had problems with this and have just worked it out. Hopefully this is helpful.

2) Okay, so this is pretty simple. What you want to do is for each new warp you want in a map, click the up arrow on Number of Warps. Click Change events. Your new warp(s) will appear in the top left corner so drag them to where you want them (when you touch them, you warp).

Next off, you need to set where they go to. Let's get an example in here. Say I'm editing Fire Red and I want a warp from Indigo Plateau to Pallet Town. Now, I am warping from outside the Indigo Plateau Pokemon Center to outside my house in Pallet Town. You'll need to create a warp in both places, unless you don't want to warp back (in which case, you'd send the one from Indigo Plateau to an already existing warp in Pallet Town which would not take you back to Indigo Plateau because it's linked to something else).

What you do is, next to the maps you're warping to and from, you'll see a number in brackets in the format (x.x) and that's what you need. The first number is the map bank and the second number is the map. So Indigo Plateau for me is (3.9) and Pallet Town is (3.0). From the Indigo Plateau warp, I change Map Bank to 3 and leave Map on 0. Now you need to select which warp you are going to in Pallet Town. Switch to that map (saving changes - it should prompt you to do so) and find the warp you want it to link to. Do the same if it's a new one as what you're doing for the first one (in this example, Indigo Plateau). Once you've clicked on the warp, you'll see right at the top that it says Warp (for the event) and No:. No: is the number warp it is. Remember that, go back to your first warp and change To warp no to that number.

Now, this is the trickiest and stupidest part. Unless you edit code, sprites play a HUGE part in this. You have to use door sprites for the warp to work. So, start editing the map and use a door sprite, a cave door sprite or whatever. Check that it works and if it doesn't, get a better sprite. Obviously this is limited but if you can get into Pokescript, you may be able to do a lot more.

3) Ouch. I've got this one pretty easy but I can tell you now, this is quite complicated. I hope you're ready to do some downloading and careful editing. Before you start, BACK UP YOUR GAME IMMEDIATELY. If you stuff this up, you'll need to restore it to it's previous state or start again (I learnt the hard way - you should back up after every edit you do and write to the ROM and save EACH one. Don't overwrite your back-up each time).

Okay, you're going to need a few things. First of all, if you don't have it already, get eXtreme Script Editor. You can find it on Whack-a-Hack I believe but if you can't, go to pkmnhackersonline and their Tools section. I'm not going to paste the full URL so just Google it (they don't allow URLs, even for helping here.... Stupid).

Now, in Advanced Map, go to Settings>Choose Script Editor and XSE. Make your new person event - upping the number and clicking Change events.

Next, you'll need to download and install Pokescript. Go to pokehacks.dabomstew (not full URL again - just Google but it's pretty obvious what the ending of the URL is) and to their Downloads section. Get Pokescript there. Let it install to it's default. Find the default and I recommend copying the folder where it is installed and pasting a shortcut to it in your hack folder. Now, head on over to http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91510&page=5 to get a tutorial on how to use Pokescript. Generally, you're looking at Giveitem Scripts which is used in the beginning tutorial to explain how it's done. at the moment however it doesn't hurt to read from beginning to end and isn't really that hard.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81691&page=3 is the original page where IrishWitch (the creator of Pokescript) explains the whole lot and how to add it to a ROM.

Follow the instructions there in part 1. You really just want to look at 1.3 and 1.4 if you've looked at the other tutorial but the again, this is possibly a better tutorial all up. Simple stuff, really but it takes a few attempts to get it right hence why it's quite hard to start.

The reason I mentioned XSE is because you can use it later to open your scripts in Advanced Map and edit them so for example, if you have written a potion script into Advanced Map, you can select that event and open it's script. It'd open with XSE and then you can play around with it. For example, you could change the item from a Potion to a Super Potion by changing it's value. It may not be available any more so have a look around but in IrishWitch's thread that I linked you to above, there is a list of all the codes for different items etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back