• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
@RPD490,

I recently checked link battles with R/S/E to see if the Hoenn Gym Leader Battle music played. I can confirm that this is NOT the case. Thus far, I still know of no instance where the tune is played in FR/LG. Unless I discover that it is used somewhere, I'll leave that song alone.

And to everyone else: I'll be releasing an update for the hack in the coming days. It will be primarily, if not entirely, focused on the 8-bit music portion of it. Expect massive jumps in accuracy for most songs, as well as a form of a few others that aren't already in the game. From what I've got done already, I've gotten what I believe to a good majority of the tunes playing almost identically to their R/G/B/Y forms. I know I claimed that before in the OP, but I've significantly drawn back that statement over time as I discovered more nuances with each tune I listen to again.

I'm really hoping the final product of it will be satisfactory to those of you who use the GB Player. After this update, any further actions I take concerning it will depend on a number of factors I've got dwelling in my mind. I'm thinking of one huge thing right now that may make me pack up my own work on it entirely.

But I guess we'll see. The way these next few days play out will influence what I do with it after the next update. Stay tuned!

Years
Can someone tell me how to repoint the physical/special split with the GB player patch.
When I did it, it glitches the GB sounds and freeze the game when getting on the PC, and when the old man catch the pokemon it resets the game. I was using DoesntKnowHowToPlay's patch with the fixed icon.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Can someone tell me how to repoint the physical/special split with the GB player patch.
When I did it, it glitches the GB sounds and freeze the game when getting on the PC, and when the old man catch the pokemon it resets the game. I was using DoesntKnowHowToPlay's patch with the fixed icon.
The problem here is with the fixed icon part of the patch. Most hackers of FR add new data to offset 0x08800000. This causes most hacking work for the game to conflict with one another. Unsurprisingly, this is the case here, too. The fixed icon artwork is located in the same place as where I placed the first part of the GB Player data, so unspectacular things are bound to happen.

If you're going to repoint it, apply that P/S patch before anything you pick from my hack. Looking through the patch, I see that the images are at 800000 and the ASM routine is at 800240. Move them to an area of free space in the ROM that won't conflict with my hack. I'd suggest at the first open offset after 900000 in my hack, which is where I inserted the other ASM routines in it. For now, that's at 9005A8. Then change the pointer at 13A1A0 to the new location of the ASM routine (0x9005A8 + 0x240 = 0x9007E8, where the ASM routine would be) as well as the one around the end of that ASM routine to the new location of the art (its current byte values are 00 00 80 08, so they should be changed to A8 05 90 08).

Once you've moved and repointed it all, you're free to apply a Throwback patch to it!

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2019
I have a question, does this hack really haves Infinite TM's? Because i had a save, and applied the latest version, and TM's still were with limited use, and now i started another file, and there's still the amount of TM's, it's supposed to still have the number that says the amount of TM's, or it's supposed to still be there, but TM's are infinite?
Anyways, i'm reporting this, because as i said, i had a v3.5.1 save, where the infinite TM's feature didn't work properly u_u

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I have a question, does this hack really haves Infinite TM's? Because i had a save, and applied the latest version, and TM's still were with limited use, and now i started another file, and there's still the amount of TM's, it's supposed to still have the number that says the amount of TM's, or it's supposed to still be there, but TM's are infinite?
Anyways, i'm reporting this, because as i said, i had a v3.5.1 save, where the infinite TM's feature didn't work properly u_u
What emulator are you using? Can you be more specific on what you're saying about what happens when you start a new game, accrue TMs, and attempt to use them? Your wording is a bit confusing. Also, was the previous "save" you were using a battery save or a save state?

Most importantly, what patch(es) is/are in use?

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2019
What emulator are you using? Can you be more specific on what you're saying about what happens when you start a new game, accrue TMs, and attempt to use them? Your wording is a bit confusing. Also, was the previous "save" you were using a battery save or a save state?

Most importantly, what patch(es) is/are in use?

I'm playing on 3Ds, via super card dstwo's gba emulator, gbatemp. And it's a .sav file.
When i applied the v.3.7.1 patch (the ips patch with all features/changes in one file), and started playing, i tried to teach Brick Break to a Nidoking, everything went well, except that i had 3 Brick Break TMs, and when Nidoking learned the move, i had 2 TM's of Brick Break, instead of having 3 or an unlimited amount of them....
Now i started a new game, to see if it was because of my save file, but now i tried teaching Rock Tomb to a Geodude, but then again, the TM got wasted....do you know why does this is happening?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I'm playing on 3Ds, via super card dstwo's gba emulator, gbatemp. And it's a .sav file.
When i applied the v.3.7.1 patch (the ips patch with all features/changes in one file), and started playing, i tried to teach Brick Break to a Nidoking, everything went well, except that i had 3 Brick Break TMs, and when Nidoking learned the move, i had 2 TM's of Brick Break, instead of having 3 or an unlimited amount of them....
Now i started a new game, to see if it was because of my save file, but now i tried teaching Rock Tomb to a Geodude, but then again, the TM got wasted....do you know why does this is happening?
I can't replicate the problem you're having, so it must be something with the emulator. I don't have a Supercard, so I use VBA-M to play the game. There are no problems when using it.

Which emulator are you using? NDSGBA or TempGBA? TempGBA is newer and built off of NDSGBA, so it may fix some things wrong with the former.

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2019
I can't replicate the problem you're having, so it must be something with the emulator. I don't have a Supercard, so I use VBA-M to play the game. There are no problems when using it.

Which emulator are you using? NDSGBA or TempGBA? TempGBA is newer and built off of NDSGBA, so it may fix some things wrong with the former.

I meant to say that i'm using TempGBA, i mispelled it XD
If so, then what's my problem?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I meant to say that i'm using TempGBA, i mispelled it XD
If so, then what's my problem?
I can't say for certain. Could you test your save in VBA-M if at all possible? If it works there that means there's likely an emulation inaccuracy in TempGBA.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2019
I can't say for certain. Could you test your save in VBA-M if at all possible? If it works there that means there's likely an emulation inaccuracy in TempGBA.

Spoiler:

Well, now i tried to test both of my saves in VBA-M, and everything went the same...so I think it might be a problem with the patch or something D:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Well, now i tried to test both of my saves in VBA-M, and everything went the same...so I think it might be a problem with the patch or something D:
Oh lord, I might have figured out the issue. Tell me what happens when you skip the TM learning animation with the B button and what happens when you don't.

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2019
Oh lord, I might have figured out the issue. Tell me what happens when you skip the TM learning animation with the B button and what happens when you don't.

Ok, i'll try doing that right away :P

Edit: Yes, i can totally confirm it. TM's aren't wasted, whenever i don't skip the TM learning animation with the B button.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Ok, i'll try doing that right away :P

Edit: Yes, i can totally confirm it. TM's aren't wasted, whenever i don't skip the TM learning animation with the B button.
I'm at a loss for words, then. I thought this was the bona-fide method of infinite TMs in FR/LG. I guess not. It's a shame no one seems to talk more about it, its most recent development thread went silent awhile back.

I'm now heavily considering removing the buggy TM usage hack, as something as blatantly malfunctioning like this would never pass in a Nintendo game.

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2019
I'm at a loss for words, then. I thought this was the bona-fide method of infinite TMs in FR/LG. I guess not. It's a shame no one seems to talk more about it, its most recent development thread went silent awhile back.

I'm now heavily considering removing the buggy TM usage hack, as something as blatantly malfunctioning like this would never pass in a Nintendo game.

Please don't do it D:

Well, that way of course haves it's cons, but now that we figured what was wrong with it. At least it will serve when a player wants infinites TMs or not. Or at least that's what i think, because, some of the good TM's in gen 3...are mainly Gym leader's and the ones found on routes :P

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Please don't do it D:

Well, that way of course haves it's cons, but now that we figured what was wrong with it. At least it will serve when a player wants infinites TMs or not. Or at least that's what i think, because, some of the good TM's in gen 3...are mainly Gym leader's and the ones found on routes :P
It's not really a choice when absolutely no hint or information is given, and there is no reason to get rid of a TM upon using it if you are given the option to keep it after use. Even if you did want to do it for "challenge," nothing's stopping you from just selling it or attaching it to a Pokémon you're getting rid of!

Besides, if I do remove it, anyone could always add it back in after patching their ROM with my hack. I even listed the method a page earlier, for those who would want to add it back in.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Version 3.8 is up!

Now that E3 is over, I've got a new update for Throwback. As stated earlier, it's all about the GB Player this time. There was a lot of improving I could do with the music, and boy did I crack down on it! Check out the changelog for all the meaty changes.

MAKE SURE YOUR SAVE STATES HAVE THE GB PLAYER DISABLED BEFORE YOU UPDATE!

Changelog:
Spoiler:

I've got a few other things I'm wanting and able to implement in mind, none of them being related to the GB Player. If anyone finds any problems with this new patch, I'll be sure to check them out. Everyone deserve the best music possible.

Have fun!

Last edited:

KeyRogue

No theme for now...
Years
yes, i've been waiting for v3.8 to come up to start a new game (since i've finished playing v3.7.1) just to avoid bugs of course, anyways good luck for the next version

jAvAcOlA

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2015
So is this latest beta a mostly complete game besides a few features? And is Celebi catchable yet?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
So is this latest beta a mostly complete game besides a few features? And is Celebi catchable yet?
"Complete"? How so? The game has always been playable from start to finish. It's still FR/LG at its core. More features get added as I think of and learn new things, but the game is still its original full package, able to be played from the start in Pallet Town to the end of the Pokémon League and to just about any other place in the game. If by "complete" you mean something like "I'm not adding anything else to the hack ever again and will only provide support and bug fixes", then I guess you can say that it's not complete right now.

"Beta"? You are aware that that phrase, along with "Alpha", "Pre-Alpha", "Early Access", and any other name implying a prototype of a game has a specific meaning in game development, right? Prototype games are unfinished at the core. They have features missing that would prohibit players from clearing the game or experiencing it as they should. This includes things like key levels, major enemies, plot points, vital music cues, and even basic gameplay elements. They may or may not also be evidently bugged to the point of constant crashing (although that doesn't seem to stop retail games nowadays...). And just because a game is beyond the prototype stage doesn't mean that new features will not get added ever again. Biggest example: Minecraft. That game was in alpha/beta/whatever-you-will stages for many years, but just because it hit full version status at 1.0.0 didn't mean that it was done. Since then, so many different modes, items, materials, creatures, biomes, and customization options have been added to it. I'll admit that my version numbers have meant very little, especially in the beginning. However, the hack has never prohibited people from being able to play the game, in full, it was meant to be played.

I don't mean to rag on your post, and I apologize if any part of this reply upset you in any way. I just want to let you know that the words you used had huge implications that are inaccurate in use here. But I can't really blame you. The kinds of hacks that are popularized on this site would naturally make people settle into that mindset. They're busy making unique stories, crafting new worlds, and changing trainer lineups, while mine keeps the base game as-is. I guess that makes "different" hacks such as my own stick out like a sore thumb...

As for the Celebi thing...

You know, I had been sitting on Celebi's availability for a long while. The way I'd like to put that Pokémon in the game is a bit too ambitious for what I'm able to do right now. When I implement something, I want to do it right. There's no second chances with public ROM hacks unless you do a big overhaul of the hack as a whole later. If I make Celebi available in standard play in some fashion now, I have to settle with that. That's not something I'd like to do right now, as doing so would compromise what my intentions are with it.

Having said that, I'm going to do something a bit...different with Celebi here. It won't be impressive or quest-worthy in Pokémon game terms, and it probably won't be what would be expected by anyone who wants "All Pokés" hacks. It also certainly won't be what I want to settle with, as anyone who will use the method I'll implement will realize immediately.

So yes, you'll be able to get Celebi in the next update. I just hope the way it'll be done for now will be pleasing to those who check it out.

Back