• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with a title?

Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 24, 2007
I'm currently writing a Pokemon fanfic but I can't think of a title. I'd be greatful if you guys here could help me out, even slightly, as I find thinking of a good title which describes the story rather difficult.

The basic idea of the story is a 14 year old girl who likes Pokemon and travelling but doesn't care for collecting the gym badges. She is of a poor background and sometimes commits petty theft, though she does not enjoy it, she does it only to look after herself. The story takes place in the Johto region and yes it is an original trainer fic.

If anyone could suggest anything at all relating to the title or the plot, thanks.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
There's not enough information for me to think of a good title so all I came up with was "In the Gutter". My creative juices aren't flowing right now.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
The best one to come up with a title for their story is the author themselves. Only you have the knowledge of the story needed to make an interesting title.

You could put in the title some sort of small detail that'll confuse the reader and make them want to read the book. People reading the last Harry Potter book don't know what a Deathly Hallow is, and so they read to find out.

Or you could use a title that describes the character or the plot. Like my own fic, one version was called "Both Sides of the Story" because it actually showed both sides of the story, seen from two different point of views.

Besides, you'll get a lot more pleasure making the title up yourself. I'm sure one will strike you when you least expect it.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
There's not enough information for me to think of a good title so all I came up with was "In the Gutter". My creative juices aren't flowing right now.

The thing about being poor is poor people do not normally veiw themselfs as living in the gutter :\ (*is from a poor family herself*). That is more a veiw that outside people might pin on them, and not a nice one at that...

But if you are that poor would'nt she be looking for a job or something that did not mean stealing to support her family? For that matter if you are so poor you have to steal I don't see how she would be able to afford to keep training pokemon for no real reason :\. Since you have to buy food for the pokemon to...
Somehow pokemon training to me always seemed like a job for ten year olds whos' families were somewhat well off, with all the spending money they would need...
You know that is odd, I just thought of something: I have never really read a fic wherre the winner gets paid by the loser for a match o.o

Last edited:

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
You know that is odd, I just thought of something: I have never really read a fic wherre the winner gets paid by the loser for a match o.o

In addition to that, I've never see money mentioned in a Pokemon fic at all. It's as if it appears out of nowhere, every time. =)

Anyway, I have no suggestions for your story: it's better for you to think of it yourself.

ProtrainerEon

Ultimate Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
Maybe something like "Hang in There" or "The Downside of Life." Even "Pinching Pennies" sounds fitting. If you want it focused on her status rather than her journey. If not, tell me and I will give more suggestions.

You're welcome for the help. ^^

If our help doesn't really HELP at all, then maybe use our bad ideas to think of names NOT to pick rather than what to pick, eh?

So, good luck with your story. PM me if you ever need any kind of help.

I know how hard a title can be to think of. I just wrote a fic and simply wrote down the words "Adventures in Sinnoh" as my title (for now I guess).

XD So, see ya later.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
In addition to that, I've never see money mentioned in a Pokemon fic at all. It's as if it appears out of nowhere, every time. =)

Anyway, I have no suggestions for your story: it's better for you to think of it yourself.
My fic mentions money and my character goes to the bank, the pokemon world uses yen in mine :)

cjoey97

Water Master
Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2009
My fic mentions money and my character goes to the bank, the pokemon world uses yen in mine :)

Yes, pokemon was created in Japan so we can use yen. But in the anime or in the manga they use pokedollars but any would do.

Back