• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

More like the games?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
*Camera fades in. Setting: A dark and mysterious world in which Pokémon roam wild in utter chaos.*

Imagine a world where a Pikachu can run around shocking an Onix with Thunderbolts whenever they please. Imagine a world where trainers can abuse their Pokémon's speed to take countless moves in a row. Imagine a world where a Pokémon can learn more than four moves at one time. Does this feel like a happy world to you? Does it make you want to cry inside? Only you can make a difference to these poor abused Pokémon - donate your ideas today and maybe we can make a difference.

Do you wish the Pokémon anime was more like the games? How big a difference would this make to the show?

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I find the anime's interpretation of both Pokemon and their moves to be refreshing compared to the games. There are a lot of other factors that are taken into account for Pokemon battles, such as how well their trainers can utilize different strategies or how the battlefield affects motion. The possibilities are endless in the anime, because not everything is set in stone. Some Pokemon use the same moves to different degrees of effect. In many ways, the anime makes sense. Of course, there are numerous exceptions (aim for the horn!), but more times than not, it does give a new perspective into the Pokemon world that's not easily shown in the games.

In the games, the Pokemon are limited to only a few moves that have the same sort of animation used in the same way, while in the anime Pokemon can have a variety of moves and use them in completely different ways depending on the situation. Like in the games, an Alakazam can't lift off rocks and fling them at an opponent with a Psychic attack, but that's possible in the anime.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
... Abused? Like, whut?

And no, I don't wish the anime was more like the games, mostly for the reasons psyanic just said. Seriously, why would you want them to be less creative with battles, just because that's the way the games are programmed? That seems silly.

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
Not really. I've seen several anime battles and I've enjoyed the creative way that trainers use attacks in ways not possible in the game. For example, I remember when Ash was facing Rampardos he had Turtwig use razorleaf, of course Roark used flamethrower. But it turns out Ash intended the leaves to be burned so that they can be a smokescreen. Sutt like that is one of those that make me enjoy the anime.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Having the stories more geared toward the game story would be interesting and for me would eliminate a lot of fillers. Not to mention I would like too see game characters i.e. Cheren make it into the anime.

Now to change the dynamics of battling would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make imo. Pretty much reiterating what has already been said pokemon in the game have four standard moves and can only be used in one way. In the anime people can extend an attack to a variety of different possibilities such as attack, defend, and evade. So what they can do currently adds a new dimension and possibility to battle cause when you think it is over a new strategy through a completely new way of using an attack can be archived.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Personally, I would be a lot more interested in the anime if it was done the same way as the Black 2 and White 2 trailer. That was really refreshing compared to the original series, which has become really dull imo.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Having the stories more geared toward the game story would be interesting and for me would eliminate a lot of fillers. Not to mention I would like too see game characters i.e. Cheren make it into the anime.
Having the storyline be based on the games wouldn't do much at all to eliminate fillers- at most you'd get a few more plot-related episodes. The games really don't have enough storyline content to fill out three to four years of weekly episodes on their own no matter how you cut it. And the anime includes nearly all of the important characters from the games- Cheren is one of the few who didn't make it in, and he's got a close equivalent in Trip anyway.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
If they were exactly like the games, down to the last detail, I wouldn't want that. I like how creative ways trainers use moves in the anime. For example in the episode where Ash battles Brycen , he tells Krokorok to use Stone Edge against Brycen's Beartic. Byrcen tells Beartic to the deflect with Icicle Spear and causing the stones to ricochet. Ash tells Krokorok to grab one of the ricocheted stones and jump up and strike Beartic with the stone. You can't do that in the game.
Though I wouldn't mind an anime based of the plots of the games.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
Actually, I think since the beginning of the series they've become more like the games as time goes one. I think in the newer Black and White seasons that they use a lot of references to game mechanics. I feel like they're referencing more real moves from Pokemon, talking about abilities, more about type advantages and weaknesses, etc.

Years
Actually, I think since the beginning of the series they've become more like the games as time goes one. I think in the newer Black and White seasons that they use a lot of references to game mechanics. I feel like they're referencing more real moves from Pokemon, talking about abilities, more about type advantages and weaknesses, etc.

They would have been doing this regardless of the games because in reality you do want a type advantage, and you need to know the ability work into a strategy.
I think it's getting better their battling in the anime.

I would prefer the games to become like the anime in the sense that you can have more control over your Pokemon in battling for example you could assume control on a 3D battlefield and jump and dodge and everything to take full advantage of every possibility.
Obviously I'm describing something would probably fit a lot better as a console game, which Pokemon sadly is not.

Back