• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Kanto Starters in X & Y!

DexJr Karnage

Shiver TheKid
Years
So I was watching Pokemon Direct and you'll be having 2 Pokemons to start your journey with! First one is Froakie, chespin or ferrkin. Then when youeet the professor you have can choose another starter which is charmander bulbasuar and squirtle! Pretty bad ass !!!!!

edit: Which one will you choose!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
They never said it was at the beginning. They said it was later. So like other Starter hand outs we may have to fulfill a requirement before we can get them.

DexJr Karnage

Shiver TheKid
Years
Oh idk? I heard different. O: I heard that once you met the professor you could choose your 2ND starter to join your journey from the beginning. P: But idk maybe I heard wrong lol.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Oh idk? I heard different. O: I heard that once you met the professor you could choose your 2ND starter to join your journey from the beginning. P: But idk maybe I heard wrong lol.

Direct only said you get your in game starter from your friends. Sycamore gives you a Kanto Starter "Later". They didn't specifically say when he'd give you the starter. If we can go by the older games, you have to complete the region Pokedex in order to get the starter. If not there may be something else that you have to do.

Main site doesn't hint at anything out of the ordinary either. I see the misinterpretation written in front of me, but they don't say WHEN he gives them to you only that he doesn't give you your Kalos Starter. He gives you a Kanto Starter.

Maybe we can, maybe we can't. We'll have to find out when October rolls around.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Direct only said you get your in game starter from your friends. Sycamore gives you a Kanto Starter "Later". They didn't specifically say when he'd give you the starter. If we can go by the older games, you have to complete the region Pokedex in order to get the starter. If not there may be something else that you have to do.

I doubt that we would receive the Kanto starters post-game (not saying that's what you think), but at least before the gym leader who specializes in mega evolution. It seems appropriate, they'd want us players to experience them at a suitable time.

So, my opinion, I'm guessing it'll be around the time you visit that gym leader you'd be able to get it, after all they're giving us a Torchic with a Blazikenite on release day, so I expect mega evolutions to be used frequently in-game.

They did mention that the trainer had to connect with their Pokemon before it can evolve though. Can that connection only be achieved by using Amie?

DexJr Karnage

Shiver TheKid
Years
Exactly. I mean you always meet the professor early on in the beginning of the game. They also did say that they wanted to us to "start" our journey with another pokemon. So I'm assuming they would want us to grow a bond with both early on.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm going to assume the tradition for now because I just don't see them giving us the other starters at the beginning of the game. Its not unlike them to hype something that isn't available until post game.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
They said we get to pick so it won't be like we get the one that's weak against our starter like with the Monkey's.

@ Xander Well as you've said many times Gf are breaking with tradition, this could just be another example of it.

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2021
Well if you look at the professors bio on the official website
Professor Sycamore is the top Pokémon researcher in the Kalos region. He entrusts you and your friends with Pokémon and sends you out on your big adventure!
So from the language it seems like we get them at the beginning

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
They said we get to pick so it won't be like we get the one that's weak against our starter like with the Monkey's.

@ Xander Well as you've said many times Gf are breaking with tradition, this could just be another example of it.

Yes, but this is a minor thing that has been an end game achievement to completing a regional pokedex. If you get them early then they are saying there's no point to completing the pokedex. We also get to transfer at any time now thanks to the app so we'd be able to pull our Kanto Starters from Gen 5 games anyway.

I just do not see this being before the end game. Don't have to agree with me, but my track record right now is pretty high with guessing what's going on in X and Y. This doesn't give me any authority, but this is just how I feel about it and so far everything I've had a strong feeling about has been accurate.

I was the only one supporting GTS/Online Transfer Method which is exactly what we got. I'm going to gloat about it for once because that was a 1 in a million chance of getting right. Doesn't mean I'll be right about everything, but since my gut feelings have all been correct so far, I have to follow what's been right so far.

So, I feel that we won't get them at the beginning of the game. Simply because its how I feel. There's nothing official that states when we get them only how we get them and how we get them is pretty much the same as how we always got them in the older games. The regional Professor gives them to us "Later".

Well if you look at the professors bio on the official website
Professor Sycamore is the top Pokémon researcher in the Kalos region. He entrusts you and your friends with Pokémon and sends you out on your big adventure!
So from the language it seems like we get them at the beginning

Those Pokemon would be Froakie, Fennekin, and Chespin. How do you think Trevor would have gotten his hands on them? XD He got them from the professor with the Pokedexes to hand out to his friends and you the MC. That statement has been there since he was first revealed and its well known that the Professor supplies the region with its starters.

Years
Handing out the Kanto starters in X and Y is probably going to be similar to getting ahold of either Pansage, Pansear, or Panpour in Black/White if you ask me..

I guess it does sorta remind me of how you get one of the monkeys in B/W. The reason you get the monkey in those games (Pansage, Pansear or Panpour) is to help you deal with the Striaton Gym who uses a type advantage on your Unova starter. However, the Kanto starter in this case can actually be chosen by you, unlike how with the monkeys you get the one weak to your starter. But still nice to see that you can get a second starter in the game!

I'm going to assume the tradition for now because I just don't see them giving us the other starters at the beginning of the game. Its not unlike them to hype something that isn't available until post game.

I think you two have some interesting thoughts there, I know most games that offered you starters from other regions (like a Kanto starter and Hoenn starter in HG/SS and a Johto starter in Emerald) mainly had to have specific requirements met, and also obviously beating the main story. I could see that happening with Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle in X/Y as well but the fact the video only mentioned "later" makes this a mystery. Game Freak has been breaking a few traditions lately so no surprise if they do it again with something like this.

As for the Kanto starter Megas' abilities... Venusaur getting Thick Fat was a bit disappointing but it can come in handy for softening that Fire and Ice weakness it has. Blastoise's one is a new ability that powers up certain attacks, but I'm not sure what ones at this stage. Charizard getting Drought means its Fire attacks will hit for insane damage, maybe not as much as Solar Power when used in the sun but still it will be very strong. I'll probably be taking Bulbasaur on my first playthrough since I settled on Froakie for my Water-type, otherwise I would have taken Squirtle.

Guy

just a guy
Years
You know, they could always offer the Kanto starters early on and later have the Johto, Hoenn, and/or Sinnoh starters available post-game.

Also, spinning the topic a bit, but which Kanto starter is everyone going to choose!?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
You know, they could always offer the Kanto starters early on and later have the Johto, Hoenn, and/or Sinnoh starters available post-game.

Also, spinning the topic a bit, but which Kanto starter is everyone going to choose!?
Charmander, because it's a reptile... and awesome!! :D

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
You know I just realized that the male rivals (not counting Callum) will proably get the Kanto starters you don't... Sana and opposite sex rival (Callum or Serena) will get the Kalos one's you didn't pick. While the guys will get the Kanto one's you don't...if so then I see us getting them pretty early.

Also @ Xander I remember other people also being behind the online transfer theory (I'm not one though I did consider the possibly, I was mostly for an app which sort of happened...but not the way I or others supporting the app theory had thought), so it doesn't seem proper to say you were the only one supporting it...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Haven't decided...Venusaur looks promising...Kinda want Squirtle because its Water and I love Water. Starting with Froakie....Getting the Torchic from Download...IF I get three starters OMG I won't know what to do with myself....so conflicted cause I want the third to be grass, but I love Water types and always start with a Water Starter and don't want to miss out on Squirtle, but at the same time Charizard is Dragon like...more so now with its Mega Evolution...I love Dragons as much as I love Water types....>.< Gen 1 was the only generation I have ever had a lot of trouble picking my starter and they just did this to give me hell in Gen 6! >.<

Back