• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallylicious

アラン
Years
i'm having a hard time picking a good ground type pokemon in crystal. I just recently had to change the internal battery so I hav'nt beaten the leauge yet.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
It really depends on how early you want to have your ground pokemon. There's Sandshrew and Wooper (Quagsire) along with Geodude that you can acquire early on. Then you have Gligar and Phanpy that you can't acquire until you reach Blackthorn City, and Swinub in the Ice Cave. Nidoran you can get early on, but the chances of getting a Moon Stone early on is a bit low.

I would go for one of the first three if you want a ground Pokemon ASAP. That or wait and try to get Phanpy, or perhaps Swinub. Personally I think Quagsire is a good choice, with the whole 'electric can't hit it' deal.

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
Man , I've been having an issue with the Crystal cartridge my neighbor gave me ...

It says its battery isn't dry . But still , if I save , then turn it off for more than 1 minute , it won't have its savefile anymore ...

It was nothing about it on Google ... can antone tell me why it doesn't save ...

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2010
Help

A team for Hugh school tourney
no oobers
I was thinking

alakazam
typ
curselax
Ttar
roar suicune
what else?

Years
  • Seen May 22, 2010
alakazam
typ
curselax
Ttar
roar suicune
what else?
Although I'm not a GSC battler, it sounds like your team would be devastated by a bulky water such as another Suicune. Try Raikou to counter those.

For my own question: Does anyone have any particularly good strategies for the Battle Tower in Crystal? It's beginning to get ridiculous what I'm being swept by. My team is:

Typhlosion
- Fire Punch
- ThunderPunch
- Cut (replacing with Strength)
- Rock Smash (replacing with Earthquake)

Poliwrath
- Strength
- Surf
- DynamicPunch
- Ice Punch

Furret
- Quick Attack
- Mud-Slap (replacing with Dig)
- Shadow Ball

Is there anything I should be taking note of, beyond the obviously terrible moves which I'm replacing?

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
Years
Typhlosion @ Leftovers or Miracle Berry
- Fire Blast
- ThunderPunch
- Rest
- Earthquake

Poliwrath
- Strength
- Surf
- DynamicPunch
- Ice Punch

Furret
- Quick Attack
- Shadow Ball
Furret and Poliwrath are useless ex-HM slaves.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Furret and Poliwrath are not useless HM slaves. -_- Keep them both, I'd say, especially Poliwrath. Furret might be better off replace, but I don't see anything wrong with the cute little fuzzball.

However, having all attacks isn't a good idea. Get some Smokescreen, Attract, Toxic, Hypnosis, something. Double Team? You can't just run in there will all damage-dealing attacks.

The Red Chain

- Fire Blast or Flamethrower
- ThunderPunch
- Strength
- Toxic

Poliwrath
- Strength
- Surf
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Furret
- Quick Attack
- Double Edge
- Dig
- Shadow Ball
What's with the abuse of Strength?
Strength is not particularly a good move to abuse at all.

I say replace Fire Punch with Fire Blast or Flamethrower. Both are much stronger than Fire Punch.
Either is fine, it's just up to your preference.. Power or Accuracy.
ThunderPunch is fine. I say go with Toxic instead of Earthquake.
It could really help with cutting away at an enemy's HP in desperate times.

Poliwrath's movepool is pretty awful in GSC.. but I'd say you're pretty good on moves since I'm sure you aren't willing to replace the HMs.
I suggest trashing Dynamic Punch for Earthquake. It's more favorable on Poliwrath than it is on Typhlosion.

As for Furret : trash Strength for Double-Edge.
It's quite powerful [120] and has 100% accuracy.. a move Furret really needs.
If I remember correctly your Pokemon are healed after every trainer's defeat in the Battle Tower, so don't worry too much about the recoil from Double-Edge.
It can be pretty nasty though on a low-hp Pokemon.. time your usage carefully.

Yeah, that's about it...

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
Although I'm not a GSC battler, it sounds like your team would be devastated by a bulky water such as another Suicune. Try Raikou to counter those.

For my own question: Does anyone have any particularly good strategies for the Battle Tower in Crystal? It's beginning to get ridiculous what I'm being swept by. My team is:

Typhlosion
- Flamethrower
- ThunderPunch
- Return
- Rock Smash (replacing with Earthquake)

Poliwrath
- Earthquake (if you can trade another Earthquake TM, otherwise Strength is fine)
- Surf
- Submission
- Ice Punch

Furret
- Toxic
- Double-Edge/Headbutt (you'd need to breed Double-Edge onto Furret though and also only use Headbutt if you don't like the recoil)
- Shadow Ball

Is there anything I should be taking note of, beyond the obviously terrible moves which I'm replacing?

Changes in bold. Unfortunately the elemental punches are special in Gen II or Furret could run Double Edge or Headbutt/ThunderPunch/Fire Punch/Ice Punch D:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Is the Pokemon/shininess in the Odd Egg predetermined when you start a new file, or is it randomized once you get the egg? I don't know how to ask this, really. But in the past after I received the Odd Egg, I would save, walk around, save, rinse and repeat and if it hatched unshiny, I would turn off the power and walk around again. Same Pokemon every time too, so I figured that the game has already decided what the Pokemon will be once you get the egg. With my current Crystal file, I'm wondering if you saved before receiving the egg and consistently kept walking around without saving and hatched it, didn't like the turnout, and turned off the game and tried again, would it still be that Pokemon, shiny or no? And there is a 50/50 chance of hatching a shiny from that egg, in case y'all didn't know.

I...hope that makes sense. :|

JeTz

ジェット
Years
Is the Pokemon/shininess in the Odd Egg predetermined when you start a new file, or is it randomized once you get the egg? I don't know how to ask this, really. But in the past after I received the Odd Egg, I would save, walk around, save, rinse and repeat and if it hatched unshiny, I would turn off the power and walk around again. Same Pokemon every time too, so I figured that the game has already decided what the Pokemon will be once you get the egg. With my current Crystal file, I'm wondering if you saved before receiving the egg and consistently kept walking around without saving and hatched it, didn't like the turnout, and turned off the game and tried again, would it still be that Pokemon, shiny or no? And there is a 50/50 chance of hatching a shiny from that egg, in case y'all didn't know.

I...hope that makes sense. :|

Well, the Pokemon inside the odd egg are determined once you received the egg. So if you wanted different Pokemon, you will just have to save before getting the egg and hatch it. As for the shiny, yes its 50/50 chance but the Pokemon you getting are randomize so it's for sure that it will be hard to hatched a shiny and the get the egg-save-hatched-reload until its shiny trick, I didn't try it but you could have a try anyway

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
Eh JeTz, it's not a 50/50 chance for a shiny in the odd egg, it's a 12.5% chance for a shiny.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I found out that the contents of the Egg are done by trainer ID. I have yet to be lucky with it. Thank you guys though.

I-Like-Shiny-Pichu

ClariS <3
Years
Bulbasaur

Just a quick question, what are the standard stats for a Bulbasaur level 15, my game crashed and I am using a save editor to "bring back" my pokemon etc but I do not want to give it perfect stats cos I think that would come under "cheating" wheras this is merely recovering my save data. Thanks for any help :)

I-Like-Shiny-Pichu

ClariS <3
Years
Yeah, just found a stat calculator and it looks like my bulbasaur had perfect IVS in at least HP, that makes me feel brilliant about the game freezing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back