The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Previous Generations
6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Old May 18th, 2013 (9:30 PM).
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
    @MiloticFan, dude, how could you forget the most Fairiest Pokémon dude, Celebi??!!!
    Also, Fairy being weak to Poison is kind of making sense, but being resistant or super-effective against Ice...? How? :v
    Personally, I was against the addition of a new type, but a Fairy type is something I certainly like, especially that it brings more value to one of my favorite types: Poison as well as if the new type comes up to be true we will most likely see many bulky Normal Pokémon get that type and be competitively better. *__* (lol, poor Chansey. :p)

Relevant Advertising!

Old May 20th, 2013 (2:50 AM).
    clout

Nature: Relaxed
    Well Evil is the Japanese equivalent of our Dark type, so unless Fairy is the opposite of Evil then I doubt Light will be the international name for this new type.
    Old May 20th, 2013 (3:07 AM).
    Werewolf Assassin

Nature: Docile
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Rivvon View Post
      Why change the name at all for the international release? We already have the Fairy Egg Group. If anything, the Japanese name would be Yousei.

Maybe we'll all be surprised when Sylveon turns out to be the first dual-type Eevee evolution lol xD
      Fairy and Yousei are the same word... Obviously Fairy would be called Yousei, but we'd translate that to English... Which is Fairy... So Fairy type there... Changed to Light here... It makes sense... See below... No dual typing will allow for the same type matchups as Sylveon... Its either a new type or they changed the chart... 0% chance its a dual type...

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
      Well Evil is the Japanese equivalent of our Dark type, so unless Fairy is the opposite of Evil then I doubt Light will be the international name for this new type.
      That doesn't matter at all... Japanese have Evil and Hero as mirrored types (although Hero obviously wins...) We need a Dark and Light counter because that makes more sense in our own language... Preferably Dark and Light are both SE to each other... We've been BUGGING the dubbers and GameFreak since Gen II to make a Light type... Changing Fairy to Light will be an easy cop out to get fans off their backs... Plus people will complain about Fairy more than Light in the dubs...

Old May 22nd, 2013 (2:39 AM).
      The Imminent Victor

I agree that calling the new type (if there is one) the "Light" type makes more sense, from a localization standpoint. There are already pokemon who have the Fairy species, and there is already a Fairy egg group. I just don't think it would make sense to name a type after already existing precedents like that, even though there are plenty of dragon species pokemon. Plus, the word "fairy" has some negative connotations in our culture, and if it was a type it would get far more use. That might seem silly, but yeah.

The only way I would be comfortable with a new type is if it was Light type anyway, haha. If that Sylveon stuff is true, then it would make sense, because physical light can generate heat and therefore be supereffective against Ice, and light as a moral concept would obviously be opposed to negative aspects like Dark and Poison.
        Old May 22nd, 2013 (2:44 AM). Edited May 22nd, 2013 by mikhaild.
        Student

I would die for a light type. I mean tho we have that fighting contrasts dark already lalala light is still a good addition, and way more sensical than a fairy type. I like stuff that seem holy n divine and arceus could mascot that concept. It being normal is both sensical and nonsensical in some ways

Edit: from what we have tho i think the chances of fairy type making it is higher than light type. Too many pink stuff cutsie cutsies like sylveon happening
          Trade Shoppe · On Hiatus
          Old May 24th, 2013 (5:46 PM).
          "Outta my way, dammit!"

Nature: Bashful
            I want a new type with all my heart. Preferably the rumored Fairy type, but anything not silly will be fine. Pokemon is getting a little stale, always trying the keep the status quo, in my opinion.

I don't want a "Light" type, honestly, but I'd just like to point out the Fighting type is nothing like a Light type. What connotation do they even have? Fighting is, well, fighting... and light is... light? They're about as related as the Bug and Water types, I think.

Sylveon is the biggest hint to a new type, if there will be one. It's Japanese name was Ninfia, or something, right? From "nymph"? Aren't those supposed to be some sort of fairy or something in folklore? And the "Sylv" bit could have something to do with forests, since fairies are supposed to be all nature-like, right? (Wasn't "silva" Latin for forest...?)

Do pardon the messy typing, but those are my thoughts. I just want a new, reasonable type so that it seems like Gamefreak isn't making their Pokemon games from cookie molds anymore.
            Old May 25th, 2013 (1:25 PM).
            clout

I wonder if they will reveal this alleged new type tonight? Pokemon Smash is due to air with some news so I'm hoping that could be what they're talking about since it involves Sylveon etc.
            Old May 26th, 2013 (7:11 AM).
            iAm

Quote:
              Originally Posted by tente2 View Post
              I don't want a "Light" type, honestly, but I'd just like to point out the Fighting type is nothing like a Light type. What connotation do they even have? Fighting is, well, fighting... and light is... light? They're about as related as the Bug and Water types, I think.
              Light is about being pure at heart and doing good, the fighting type is about honorable fighting. Not exactly the same, but when considering that dirty fighting is evil/dark in Pokémon, yeah, fighting is the closest thing we have to a light type.

Light, of course, also has the literal meaning of light (as in photons 'n stuff). That's covered by other types; electric, fire and grass all have light-based attacks.

Fairy type could mix honorable fighting, general friendliness and having magical powers. I mean we already have magic (pretty much any type, but mostly psychic) and honorable fighting, but the combination is new, I think. It's not a literal element, so it's hard to predict what it'll be like.
              Old May 26th, 2013 (7:44 AM).

Nature: Hasty
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Dmatt View Post
                GUYS!

Listen, after reading a bunch of info and stuff, I'm betting the Fairy type is the real deal

Just see the first trailer from X&Y... when the starters are showcasing their attacks...
                Chespin uses a grass attack on a water pokémon. Super effective.
                Chespin uses a dark attack on a ghost pokémon. Super effective.
                Froakie uses a water attack on a fire pokémon. Super effective.
                Froakie uses a fighting attack on a normal pokémon. Super effective.

Now, for my "discovery"
                Fennekin uses a *fire* attack on a *fairy*¨pokémon. Super effective! (And yes, this means that I've read that Munchlax and Snorlax get reclassified as Fairy pokémon)
                Fennekin uses a *psychic*¨attack on yet another *fairy* pokémon. Super effective!(Here, I'm also assuming Kirlia will get reclassified as Fairy)

It all makes sense, and it would be a very clever way of secretly showcasing this new typing, from day one!

I know I'm way late. Frokie used a Normal Type attack, not a fighting typed one. It was shown in the last issue of CoroCoro that Froakie learns Quick Attack and the way the move was used resembled Quick Attack the most so Froakie being Fighting type isn't really in the question as his attack was Normal typed.

Chespin has also been shown to learn Roll Out So it could become a Grass/Rock type. We still don't know if Fennekin even used a Psychic attack. She may not learn any Psychic attacks at all. Nothing from the original video shows any kinda of match up for a new type. Only info we have for the new type is the Sylveon Skit that showed she was strong against Ice and Weak against Poison.
                Old May 26th, 2013 (10:34 AM).
                WUB WUB

Quote:
                Originally Posted by iTeruri View Post
                Light is about being pure at heart and doing good, the fighting type is about honorable fighting. Not exactly the same, but when considering that dirty fighting is evil/dark in Pokémon, yeah, fighting is the closest thing we have to a light type.
                This does make sense in a way, but Fighting is definitely a Physical type, and Light on the other hand sounds a lot like a special-based type to me. Especially if you think of Fairies and magic creatures, they rely more on spells than on physical strength.

~ Anything for my Nakama ~

Quick Reply