• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

World would be a better place...

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
If you could erase one thing from the world what would it be?
Would it be; money, greed, terminal illnesses, religion, politics, etc?
Mine would be greed cause it eliminates most of our current issues but I wanna see what others opinion is on this.
Discuss!!

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I'd get rid of the bad in people. Everything wrong with our world all begins with that. Bad is pretty vague yes, but get rid of something like greed and you still have bad traits and bad people this world. Narcissism, sexism, racism, apathy, hate, arrogance, condescension, elitism, bigotry, laziness, bias (in excess laziness and bias does no good for anyone), cowardice, cruelty, callousness, selfishness, manipulative, abusive, envy, dishonesty, deceit, controlling, self righteousness, irresponsibility, corruption, ignorance, lecherous, leeches. I think "bad" covers all that and a lot more and essentially gets rid of the crazy and downright evil stuff people do. Although it may not count under your conditions because it's not really one thing but many things.

Though it won't fix things out of our control like terminal illness. And there would still be starvation and poverty. But hey now that we all get along we can work together to solve those problems.

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
That's why I feel eleminating greed would end a lot of what you said, but not all. Think about it, greed and narcissism walk hand in hand as well as dishonesty, deceit, corruption, leeches, cruelty, apathy, etc cause most of that is controlled by greed. People manipulate others to get what they want, that's greed. People are selfish cause they think the world revolves around them, I can say that's as well greedy. Corruption is fueled by greed and this is where ignorance, apathy, envy, cowardice, controlling, etc comes in. If you take away bad, you can't keep the good at the same time cause this is mainly ones 'emotions' and 'feelings' or 'beliefs/opinions' the world would be bland without that but I do understand what you're saying.

Also greeds a big factor for poverty and starvation.

humans seek power and they obtain that power through greed.

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Theres plenty of things I think could get better.

....But at least the world overall feels better regardless of them when I lay i my bed and daydream about my fictional crush X3;;;
<3 Or draw pretty pictures of her. I drew another new one last night. Its so cute ^w^

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
If you could erase one thing from the world what would it be?
Would it be; money, greed, terminal illnesses, religion, politics, etc?

I would start with The State, not necessarily government, since every aspect of like needs some form of governing principles born out of voluntary interaction. To be more specific, I think the central-planning The State implements as if a group of bureaucrats from high knows what is best for multitude of individuals, and enforced coercively via military intervention & domestic lawl enforcement is the mythology that I would argue "make the world a better place."

Of course, this wouldn't happen overnight, due to the mythology of the The State being so entrenched into various cultures that this becomes a numbers game. Not to mention "flipping the switch" would most likely give way to a power vacuum, and the 20th century has provided some examples of this on a large-scale (probably originating from the French Revolution).

Mine would be greed cause it eliminates most of our current issues but I wanna see what others opinion is on this.
You sure about that, since some amount of greed has been used to come up with some of the technologies we use today?

Now, greed at the expense of someone else, is a sentiment I could relate to.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
....Learning to be more confident really does make this world feel a lot better :)

If you can't be happy with yourself, how can you be happy with everything else?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Probably nothing. I think the process of recognizing and fighting evil is important in and of itself. Magicking away our problems would probably just be doing us a disservice; they'll come back eventually and we'll just have to work to fix them then, anyway.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
....Learning to be more confident really does make this world feel a lot better :)

If you can't be happy with yourself, how can you be happy with everything else?

Did you even read the opening post, by chance? What would you remove?

Anyway, I'd erase the instinctual urge of humans to get ultra defensive when they think anything they hold on a pedestal is being attacked by anything but the same blind praise they senselessly shower onto it, and be more open to compromise or just a differing viewpoint in a calm and mature manner.

The elimination of that alone would create such a better world. If only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nah
Years
If I could erase one thing then it would be violence. Imagine a world without war, no human lives and homes and resources destroyed, no torture. We would not fight eachother over religion, caste, territory and money. We would stop executing people, no innocent people sent to the electric chair because of a misidentification, no human right violations and oppression no genocide. No more gang violence, no police shootings, no poaching, no hate crimes, no domestic abuse-- a world where our children, family, spouses and lovers are never struck. Peace would be a step towards a more civilized society.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I'd eliminate greed. Take that away and you have a much better world.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
If I could erase one thing then it would be violence. Imagine a world without war, no human lives and homes and resources destroyed, no torture. We would not fight eachother over religion, caste, territory and money. We would stop executing people, no innocent people sent to the electric chair because of a misidentification, no human right violations and oppression no genocide. No more gang violence, no police shootings, no poaching, no hate crimes, no domestic abuse-- a world where our children, family, spouses and lovers are never struck. Peace would be a step towards a more civilized society.

Eliminating physical violence wouldn't make everyone get along, nor would it suddenly make disagreements and animosity a thing of the past.
You can still hurt people way worse in other ways than physically.

I think the stuff you want to rid the world of goes a lot further than just "violence".

Last edited:
Years
Eliminating physical violence wouldn't make everyone get along, nor would it suddenly make disagreements and animosity a thing of the past.
You can still hurt people way worse in other ways than physically.

I think the stuff you want to rid the world of goes a lot further than just "violence".

I never said that it would make everyone get along and make disagreements and anamosity a thing of the past. Where did you get that from? I did not write this.

The topic of the post is if you could erase one thing from the world what would it be? Greed, prejudice, sickness were but a few examples given of sources of human suffering, and all of them valid, removing them from the world would not solve all our problems, but it would certainly be a good thing and make the world a better place, and if we evolved as people past the primative instinct that might makes right then this would also be a step forward. If we found the cure for cancer there would still be strife in the world, but it would obviously be a good thing. Let's not turn a positive thread into something negative.

Yes, you could still hurt people in a world that is nonviolent. Stopping a war for example doesn't remove the underlying political conflict between two nations, but invading, bombing and shooting down eachother is the ultimate manifestation of that conflict, and avoiding this would certainly be a better outcome. Nothing is more final than death, i'm afraid that you can't "hurt someone way worse" than killing them.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I never said that it would make everyone get along and make disagreements and anamosity a thing of the past. Where did you get that from? I did not write this.

The topic of the post is if you could erase one thing from the world what would it be? Greed, prejudice, sickness were but a few examples given of sources of human suffering, and all of them valid, removing them from the world would not solve all our problems, but it would certainly be a good thing and make the world a better place, and if we evolved as people past the primative instinct that might makes right then this would also be a step forward. If we found the cure for cancer there would still be strife in the world, but it would obviously be a good thing. Let's not turn a positive thread into something negative.

Yes, you could still hurt people in a world that is nonviolent. Stopping a war for example doesn't remove the underlying political conflict between two nations, but invading, bombing and shooting down eachother is the ultimate manifestation of that conflict, and avoiding this would certainly be a better outcome. Nothing is more final than death, i'm afraid that you can't "hurt someone way worse" than killing them.

I get what you mean now better from this.

But where I got those points from I mentioned was just the general tone of your post where it seemed eliminating violence would suddenly turn everything into a utopia. It can be construed that way.

Anyway, thanks for the further clarification.

Years
I get what you mean now better from this.

But where I got those points from I mentioned was just the general tone of your post where it seemed eliminating violence would suddenly turn everything into a utopia. It can be construed that way.

Anyway, thanks for the further clarification.

Sometimes it can be difficult to interpret the tone online, so no worries. In fact I often enjoy answering questions and helping where I can. I'm glad that you understand where I am coming from now. Peace out!

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
At this point, practically the only thing that would truly change the world is the moment aliens come to us.

You believe they'd come in peace or no? Given their superior intellect I'd say not.
Know what else would change the world? Completely obliterating the media. Oh boy, wonder what humanity would do without a source to tell them what to believe or to not believe in. People forgot how to grow and think for themselves.. We don't use our own intuition to gain wisdom and knowledge anymore. Which is VERY bad.

CrimsonMajestic said:
You sure about that, since some amount of greed has been used to come up with some of the technologies we use today?

Now, greed at the expense of someone else, is a sentiment I could relate to.

I was referring to greed being used as a parasite to leech and control people.. If humanity wasn't greedy by nature we'd be more accepting, caring, loving, and peaceful. Then again, when you really look at it it's just nature in general. Take the animal kingdom for example. They fight over power all the time. But in a way it's different, cause they need a strong leader to survive. Human leaders, are usually corrupt and consumed by greed that it does more harm than good for the general population.

Tho technology can be good. It has it's negatives.. There's dark aspects to technology.. Ever watched Black Mirror? Cause sadly shit like that could actually happen with the level our technology is today, and if we were to keep improving more and more of those situations could become more feasible. It's kinda scary if you think about it.
There's a reason I go to very few places on my computer, use a VPN blocker, and have no webcam. It's not the NSA, it's hackers more than the NSA.. My business is my business, it's my privacy and I have a huge problem with those that feel the need to get involved in my business uninvited.

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I would try increasing the capacity for people to feel empathy and understanding for situations that are not their own, or eliminating the response tract in the human brain that immediately moves to disbelief when confronted with information that we haven't heard of, is contrast to info we already know, seems fake/illogical/etc.

I don't think that it's that people necessarily mean to do this at all times, but that the human brain isn't simply wired to care about everything, especially if it doesn't affect them. "out of sight, out of mind" so to speak. we're also super stubborn creatures and like to believe we're right and like to convince ourselves of this by picking and choosing facts and ignoring other information because it doesn't adhere to our beliefs.

not calling anyone out in particular! but it is hard to accept facts that seem contrary to what you actually experience in your tiny corner of the world. for example, people up at the top not fully understanding how some people legitimately don't have the means for pay for health care, etc.

Back