• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon FireRed Minus (GBC demake)

Years
Intro
Pokemon FireRed is fine in it's own right, but not the kind of remake I would have liked to see. I prefer "remasters" of games over remakes. The old sprites have a deep nostalgia factor with me and probably most others. The game doesn't quite satisfy the need I have to replay Kanto (which I do quite often). However the original games are plagued with all the well-known bugs and limitations that make them hard to come back to.

So I decided to make a solution. Pokemon FireRed Minus is a hack that blends all the features available in Gen 3 with the simple and beloved sprites of Gen 2.

Features
- MrDollSteak's FireRed ROMbase
- Pokemon Sprites from Crystal
- Original RBY maps remade with GSC sprites with about 99% accuracy
- OW sprites from gen 2 as well
- Battle background and UI elements from GSC
- "Emu Edition" so you don't miss out on any of your version exclusive bros
- Optional "Legacy" patch that removes Sevii Isle and alters things like giving Lemonade to the guards instead of the Tea

To-Do
Spoiler:

Advanced Features I Want But Can't Add Myself
Spoiler:

Screenshots
eOFmQY1.png
8RRWIPW.png
PuZAixI.png
G5qaROp.png

Releases

Last edited:

curiters

Oblivious - prevents me from being afflicted by in
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
OMG!!! such a wonderful hack

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Having GBA Styled OWs, Battle GUI and water coexisting with the GBC tiles and Pokemon Sprites kinda ruins the immersion.
That aside, could be an interesting breath of fresh air, I'll be looking forward to it.

Years
Having GBA Styled OWs, Battle GUI and water coexisting with the GBC tiles and Pokemon Sprites kinda ruins the immersion.
That aside, could be an interesting breath of fresh air, I'll be looking forward to it.

The screenshots are just a work in progress. I already have most of the GBC OWs done, but am waiting till I get all the mapping work out of the way. The water and Battle screen are also going to be edited but again, I like to take everything one step at a time.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Will this be compatible with other vanilla games with trading and battling?

Years
Will this be compatible with other vanilla games with trading and battling?

Maybe? I don't know how exactly the multiplayer stuff works but I think it will be fine. Just keep in mind this uses MrDollSteak's ROMbase so it might act funny if you battle with the new moves. I would recommend using a save editor when it comes down to trading though.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Maybe? I don't know how exactly the multiplayer stuff works but I think it will be fine. Just keep in mind this uses MrDollSteak's ROMbase so it might act funny if you battle with the new moves. I would recommend using a save editor when it comes down to trading though.
Ah I should've looked at that more carefully, sorry. May I request that MrDollSteak's FireRed ROMbase be optional?

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years
Glad to see you're continuing this, wish I had the ability to help but you're doing fine without me. All I want is for this game to exist in the purest GVC form possible and you're nailing it! :D

Years
Thought I'd show off some more locations. I'm working in the order one would play the game and am currently on the SS Anne. A few issues have presented themselves such as the electric gate in Vermillion Gym and the SS Anne sprite itself, but I wanna stay focused on getting all the simple map stuff done before diving into that.
2tyXJQZ.png
Gn0XUw1.png
JyJebbJ.png
k1zip9r.png
Oo0wDyS.png
QfYdDwv.png

Back