Male
Czech Republic
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
3,081 posts
6.1 Years

Shiny Island Challenge in Ultra Moon

Introduction

After my last "log" challenge, I wanted something more casual. One type of challenges that I never tried, but always kinda thought about is Shiny Badge Challenge. Few days ago, I bought Ultra Moon and wanted to try something different so my 1st run of it will be memorable. And so here it is! Shiny Badge Challenge in Ultra Moon. But with few twists. You know, there are no badges in Alola... And the number of Captains and Kahunas don't really add up to Gym Leaders and E4 members.

Rules

• BEFORE each trial, I must find and catch Shiny Pokémon via SOS battle.
  • To add more challenge, before each Kahuna (don't have to be right before battling them), I have to find and catch Shiny Pokémon through special means (see below for more info).
  • Non-Shiny Pokémon can be used only as HM slaves and breeding fodder.
  • 1st part of the Challenge ends when I beat the champion (I honestly don't know if it's Kukui or GF changed it)
  • 2nd part ends when I beat at least 1 Super challenge in Battle Tree (knowing myself I'll do all 3) and beat Rainbow Rocket arc using any combination of the 12 Pokémon used in the story.

And now, for the "special mean" of catching Shiny Pokémon:
  • Hala - SR for the starter Pokémon
  • Olivia - Hatch Shiny Pokémon via Masuda Method
  • Nanu - Catch Shiny Pokémon via Island Scan
  • Hapu - Catch Shiny Pokémon via Ultra Wormholes

Janp

Age 22
Male
Czech Republic
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
3,081 posts
6.1 Years

Finally starting

Well, it has been a long time. Almost 5 months. But after about 7200 soft resets later, I can finally start with this little girl:
Spoiler:

And I pretty much got everything right on her. I wanted female, because I just can't get over the male Primarina. And it's Modest, so it can work in the Battle Tree. I can already say that Deni will stay on my team for the whole run now. I didn't even trained her yet, just got her and saved the game quickly. So that's shiny for Hala.

Now I should get another shiny by SOS battles before going to the Verdant Cave. And to be honest, I have no idea who I want to hunt. I was thinking about Yungoos or Buneary, but their shiny looks weird to be honest. So I'm thinking about getting Alolan Meowth or Grimer. I don't really like Alolan Persian's design, but I could fall in love with it during the run. Or I could try to get Pikipek or Drifloon...

Janp

Age 22
Male
Czech Republic
Seen 9 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
3,081 posts
6.1 Years

Pink Bunny acquired

I know it has been a while since the last update. But I finally grabbed this save again and decided to hunt my way through the content of Ultra Moon.

So last time I ended with getting shiny Popplio and I wasn't sure who I want to hunt next. And I found out that SOS battles are unlocked only after 1st Trial. So it's (or was) time for another full odds shiny hunt. And because I still wasn't sure on which Pokémon available at this point I want to get, I was just running in the grass and encountering Pokémon... And encountering Pokémon... And encountering Pokémon. I decided to get this encounter before Iki Festival, so I was literally stucked in the infinite evening.

Until I finally got shiny entrance. It was about 2100 encounters and pink Buneary. Look at her:
Spoiler:

This hunt was much more faster that the last one and even took less real-life time. If that makes sense. No boring cutscene that I have to watch, just good old running in and out of battles. It was certain catch, since this was before Iki Festival.

From this point it was quite normal gameplay. I had problems with teacher at the Trainer School and with Ilma's first battle, but these are problems almost always for me. But other than that I quickly finished this part of tutorial by beating both Ilma's Trial and Hala - both mostly with Deni, since she got advantage over them. Deni even evolved right after she beat Totem Alolan Raticate. But I tried to use Linda as much as possible outside these parts.

But after finished the "main" story of Melemele I decided to explore the island, which is something I haven't done yet, not in Sun or my other runs of Ultra Moon. And I have to say that I was surprised on how great this game becomes when you're not interrupted every 2 steps with the very same dialogue and cutscenes and when you're not forced to continue with the story. Was there really a reason to lock Ten Carat Hill at the start of the game?

So during my exploration I found so many little details that I don't think I would found if I would just follow the story. This also made me realize that I probably never got Flyinium Z before. Or that I never was in the mall in Hau'oli City. Which is nice location, btw. I tried Battle Buffet and I think it will be my go-to for grinding (If I even need grinding).

After about two hours of exploring I moved on with the story and got to Akala Island. I already know what Pokémon I want to hunt there before Lana's Trial - Fomantis. I'll also hunt my shiny for Olivia - I'll hatch Own Tempo Rockruff.

Team

Deni, Modest Female Brionne
lvl 21, Torrent
- Water Pledge
- Disarming Voice
- Icy Wind
- Encore

Linda, Docile Female Buneary
lvl 20, Run Away @Normalium Z
- Quick Attack
- Endure
- Defense Curl