• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Pokémon Opinions.

Yumetaro

MAI RIBBONS
Years
Hahaha, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that most of your friends (or at least Pokémon-savvy friends) are boys? :pink_giggle:
I think Lopunny, Gardevoir, and Meloetta are pretty, and cute, but I wouldn't describe them as sexy. Well, maybe in comparison to other Pokémon, hahaha. In other words, yeah, Gardevoir's sexier than a Jynx, but that's not very hard to do, is it? As Pokémon go, Gardevoir, Lopunny, etc., are fairly "sexy" in comparison, but then that's also assuming that everyone has the same view of what "sexy" is. Somebody could theoretically find Gallade sexy, but not everyone does (at least I don't think they do).

While I do have friends that like Pokemon (and yes the majority are male) they are more indifferent about them. What I was saying is that I don't think they are what people call "waifus" and stuff. But if someone finds a Pokemon sexy, I really don't care since that is what they are attracted to.

Years
Team Plasma is an unorganized, thinly veiled team of hypocrites who don't deserve the praise people give them. They're against pokemon battling? Why do they attack you first, without question. You want to capture the hearts and minds of the common people? Acting like retards in public and not with holding to their own mandates makes the entire organization moot. They would fall apart before they ever got started. The only reason ONLY reason they act this way is because if they didn't, they would of been the good guys, and the player trainer, decades of pokemon games, would of been the bad guys.

And at that point the entire plot line for Black and White crumbles in on itself.

- Seriously though.... I'd like a pokemon game without an evil team in it. I had fun cruising with my crew in X&Y seeing what they like and what they do.. The games don't need to be these epic all encompassing stories because CLEARLY they don't either have the balls to do it right, or lack the writing abilities to make it work.. maybe a bit of column A and B. There's other ways to get your title legendary.. I mean, shoot.. how awesome would it be if the player character seeks it out totally on their own, rather than have the remnants of what you need, or the very thing stashed away in Captain Evilguy's Basement of Doom? They basically give it to you, you know? How can I say I earned Xernaes and Yveltal when I didn't put any effort into actually finding the damn thing. You can also go deeper into the history of the world, and what the legendary pokemon means to this reigon etc.. rather than getting slogged down with dealing with some uprising the Elite Four (rightfully) should handle. Is that not why we have them, outside of completing championship runs?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Team Plasma is an unorganized, thinly veiled team of hypocrites who don't deserve the praise people give them.

People praise Team Plasma? Ignoring the nutjobs at PETA, since when has anyone praised Team Plasma?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I don't understand it anymore than you do, but there's people on this board that have gone on record saying Team Plasma is the best team ever made. I don't think we were playing the same game.

Hmmm...

I think the reasoning behind the praise for Team Plasma might be something like this: Team Plasma appears to give us the most mature storyline in the Pokemon series (it's not that mature, but its something), which is something a lot of people, including myself, have wanted for a while now.

Thing is, it kinda falls apart since its really just a very thinly veiled scheme for world domination.

Guest123_x1

I've posted the following before in an earlier (now-dead) version of this thread, but here I go (again):

I have unpopular opinions about everything, but as for Pokémon, a couple of mine that people would consider to be off-base would be:
*Generations I and II were the best: Since Generation I was, of course, the start of the Pokémon gaming franchise, and the following generation enhanced the previous one's game engine, and introduced some of the more recent gameplay mechanics most are now familiar with, I consider these games to be a good start for people new to the franchise who want to brush up on the basics of Pokémon gameplay.

*The anime went downhill after Misty left: When I first started watching the Pokémon anime, I quickly got attached to the trio of Ash, Misty, and Brock (and Tracey during the Orange Islands run), feeling that they basically were what made the show great. I was really saddened when I first found out that Misty was leaving.

Years
I really dislike Arceus. Implementing a Pokémon that is implied to have created the entire Pokémon universe, and you can CATCH it?
Nope, get out.
Besides, it doesn't even look godly enough.

Also, Gen 4 had way too many legendaries.

... and I also have this niggling little feeling in my backhead that the genie trio from gen 5 were inspired by Kars, Whamu and Esidisi from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
Eh, perhaps not, but I'd like em more if that was actually the case.

Years
• Gen 4 had a poor design.

• I don't like Lucario. People compare him to Mewtwo, who is so much more of a badass.
I just don't get the hype around Lucario and yes, I've seen the movie.

• I don't like Arceus. The concept of a Pokémon who created everything jut goes over the top for me.

• The design of legendaries keep getting stranger.

• I get as a visual artist that some designs are less, but why the hell did they approve of Pokémons like:
Voltorb, Execggute, Diglet, Klefki, Bronzong, Herdier, Garbodor, Vanilluxe, KlingKlang and Honedge.
New is exciting, but for me quality > quantity. That's why I like Gen 6. There are only 69 new pokemons but the design are so nice.

• I don't dislike legendaries, but there are so many. It would be cooler if some were just looked at as normal pokémons, because the word 'legendary' is losing it's meaning.
It would also be cooler if not all of them were that strong.

• I get, but don't like that Ashe dumps most of his pokémons throughout his journey. That's why I don't watch it. I get it that thing has to change in order to gain and keep viewers but I'm more of a nostalgic person on this one. I also don't like Ash that much, he's too soft.

• Introducing the Fairy-type now is just weird.

• I like the Eevee + Evolutions concept, but there are too many.

• Mega Evolutions? Really? This is the worst concept they've come up with so far and yet there are actually some nice designs. They should've taken the best Mega designs and used it as an evolution.

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
Years
- I think the competitive scene of Pokemon is healthy, and that people hate on it just to complain.
- 5th Gen was the WORST (hated story, pokemon design, map, characters, etc)
- Too many legendary Pokemon. xD

Just how I see it, not to hate on anyone. :3

Years
- I think the competitive scene of Pokemon is healthy, and that people hate on it just to complain.
There's a difference between unhealthy (as in "not going to last much longer") and "dumb and boring."

- 5th Gen was the WORST (hated story, pokemon design, map, characters, etc)
- Too many legendary Pokemon. xD
Aside from the story, I don't think any of this is unpopular.

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
Years
There's a difference between unhealthy (as in "not going to last much longer") and "dumb and boring."

Aside from the story, I don't think any of this is unpopular.

Nor do I believe it to be dumb and boring, though stating that it is healthy also represents being open to other options, and not stuck taking a certain path, obviously pokemon battling is not going end anytime soon. Yes there are Pokemon that are overused, but that does not stop other Pokemon from being viable. There are things called counters, Gastrodon, Celebi, any High-Special Defensive Pokemon can counter Rotom-W, Tyranitar cannot take a good fighting move like a Drain Punch from a Medicham, Pangoro, Scrafty, etc. Garchomp just dies to Mamoswine, or you know, Ice-Type attacks in general. I get what you are saying, a lot of people do use the same Pokemon, I just don't see how it stops someone else from being able to counter that.

And I am just going off of what I heard, I don't know what the overall thought is, but I have heard of people really enjoying Team Plasma, N, claiming Pokemon Black/White was the best game yet. (This was pre-X/Y, but still).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
Nobody ever agrees, but I don't believe that Arceus is a god, or created the Pokémon world. There's no evidence that Arceus is anything more than a powerful, but otherwise ordinary, Pokémon.
Legendary Pokémon in general I don't believe are anything but rare, powerful Pokémon; they're not gods, they're not "one-of-a-kind". They're only "legendary" because they're featured in legends and mythology, simple as that. Generally speaking, anyway. I wrote treatise on the subject, "Legendary Pokémon ~ Fact or Fiction?": there's a link to it in my signature.

I actually do agree with this, other than cases like Mewtwo which is a man made clone of Mew there is no way that only one of each legendary Pokémon. The species simply wouldn't survive. They could be an ancient, rare enough for legends to form around the Pokémon but a one of a kind species could not exist. Unless of course it is that last but I doubt that any Pokémon as powerful as the legionaries would be whipped out.

Last edited:

Terff

the unimportant
Years
-I really dislike gen 4...

-Fairy type is stupid and should stay OUT of the games (Or atleast give it a common weakness like fire or something)

-I don't really like charizard :I (You could kill him with a damn pebble)

-I would really like a complete overhaul of the entire pokemon games in general

-I think the games should be harder by default and have even HARDER difficulty options.
(Nuzlocke mode ftw)

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
Years
I seem to be the only person that actually likes Houndoom, not just because of looks. I like him on every level. His cry, his movepool, his design, his mega evo, his pre evo, his stats, everything. I genuinely love him.

I saw someone earlier who agrees - Johto is my least favorite region. I can't stand it. Only thing is, it has Houndoom! That's one of the very few things that is tolerable about it.

Legendaries? Who needs them. They may be the strongest available, but I don't think they're needed. I never use them. I catch for the sake of having it, but I don't use it.

Arceus is not a god. People do agree with that, but not the next part. Not at all.
Arceus was created by something more powerful, maybe a Pokemon we haven't seen yet. It did create some of the Pokemon we have today, but only a select few. Such as Heatran, Keldeo, Jirachi, Deoxys, and Genosect. Why do I think that he created those legendaries in specific? Well, they all seem to me as though they are seemingly weaker than most other legendaries, have less of a story behind them, and seem to be newer, chronologically. Arceus would be more of the Jesus of pokemon. Arceus created the world that we know as the Pokemon World, but did not create Giratina, Dialga, and Palkia. I think that they were brought from somewhere far out in space here to protect the new planet. The Weather trio was brought in the same fashion, but to protect the weather system. The Birds were drawn here by Arceus to protect the mountains in the Orange Islands, which hold many sacred things to Arceus. The Beast Trio was brought here to protect areas in the same way as the Birds. Lugia and Ho-oh were brought to represent and spread peace. Mew was brought to protect an area, in the same way as the Beasts and Birds. The Dragon Trio (Thats what I call them, Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem) was brought to maintain differential equality. The Swords of Justice were brought to keep thing just and in good nature. Xerneas, Zygarde, and Yveltal were brought to defend areas, in the say way as Mew, the Birds, and the Beasts.
That leaves out Deoxys, Mewtwo, Jirachi, Heatran, and Genosect. Keldeo is part of the Swords of Justice, but I'll get to him in a just a second.
Heatran was created to protect a new area that Arceus had discovered, and noticed that he didn't have anyone to protect it. Genosect was created to be a great hunter, and keep the populations in check. Jirachi was created to give things a sense of hope and faith, because of the fear of Genosect. Deoxys was an accident. Arceus accidently created him from a strain of a strange virus' DNA. He is now sent to protect the outer edges of the Omniasphere (all of the planets 'spheres') from unwanted Pokemon.
Keldeo was created because the Swords of Justice were not strong enough as a trio. So, Keldeo was formed to make it a quartet.
Who this 'greater power' would be, I don't know. But I think that is NOT Arceus.
Where did all of the other Pokemon come from? Sort of like Noah's Arc, Arceus brough two of each with him to his planet, and life flourished.
We all know Mewtwo was man-made. But, where did we come from? I believe we humans traveled through space and ended up here, on the Pokemon World. When we came here, we looked at all the Pokemon, and thought: We should teach them to be controlled by us, but still love us at the same time. And that's exactly what we did.

So yeah.... that my theory on Arceus. If you agree, let me know :) I'll be happy to know that I'm not alone!

What about Legendaries not being able to survive if there is only one of them? Well, there is no evidence that Pokemon have the same time-life ratio as us (As in Dog years, Cat years, Human years, etc.), so for all we know, Pokemon could have a very high one, however I believe that each species is different. Legendaries have a VERY high one, so no one who is alive when they were born will get to see the death of a legend. For example, Arceus could be 30 in human years, but in his time-life ratio, he could be a new born. I believe that Mewtwo has one close to ours, considering that he was created by us. So, he might die along with the people that created him, or he might not. But nothing can go on forever, everything has an end. Even numbers. We just can't get to the end of them, so therefore, to us, they have no end. But one way or another, they end. It would get to a point where another number could not be added to the end. Weaker Pokemon have lower time-life ratios, and stronger ones have higher ones.

Magikarp was not meant to exist. When Arceus brought Gyarados with him, he did not know that they would give birth to the abomination known as Magikarp. Maybe little shrimp things, but not that.

Years
Ahah, I just came up with a new one that just seems to keep popping up in my head.

Every time I battle someone I don't know, and they use either Lucario, Gardevoir or Lopunny, I automatically assume they are sexually attracted to that pokémon. ._.
When that Lucario was 'drawn in by my aura' and wanted to join my team, I felt very uncomfortable.

Years
Nor do I believe it to be dumb and boring, though stating that it is healthy also represents being open to other options, and not stuck taking a certain path, obviously pokemon battling is not going end anytime soon. Yes there are Pokemon that are overused, but that does not stop other Pokemon from being viable. There are things called counters, Gastrodon, Celebi, any High-Special Defensive Pokemon can counter Rotom-W, Tyranitar cannot take a good fighting move like a Drain Punch from a Medicham, Pangoro, Scrafty, etc. Garchomp just dies to Mamoswine, or you know, Ice-Type attacks in general. I get what you are saying, a lot of people do use the same Pokemon, I just don't see how it stops someone else from being able to counter that.
Yeah, for me it's not competitive battling at its core that I don't like; it's the community. As is typical for competitive gaming fanbases (it's even stronger with Super Smash Bros., for instance), they tend to be extremely dismissive and condescending to anyone who doesn't believe in their rules as well as anyone who does but just isn't good at it. If anything, the main game more strongly favors certain Pokemon: Legendaries, pseudo-Legendaries, and a few choice starters, since there aren't tiers and no Pokemon, items, or moves are banned.

And I am just going off of what I heard, I don't know what the overall thought is, but I have heard of people really enjoying Team Plasma, N, claiming Pokemon Black/White was the best game yet. (This was pre-X/Y, but still).
That's true. That's one of the things I like the most about it. But I also think the reaction you describe (which, to be clear, I also noticed at the time) was amplified by the poor reception of Gen IV and, to a lesser extent, III.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
A couple of my opinions:

- the gen 1 games are far from being the worst in the franchise because of their flaws
Because of all the techical flaws there was a really great meta story. So many people stating ways to obtain Mew, all the stories of Pokegods...I haven't seen anything like this in any gen after that. (not counting creepypastas, of course)

- Blastoise > Charizard
Period

- X and Y have a really good postgame and anyone who states otherwise didn't even try
In comparism G/S/C have one of the worst postgames. They gave you a whole region to explore and filled it with a couple of stronger trainers and tons of weak wild Pokemon. Besides that it's pretty empty, no plot, no nothing and the remakes made it even worse since you can't even rematch all the trainers on the ship, and since the E4 got stronger you had to grind forever until you got your Pokemon strong enough (unless you import them from another game that is)

- Super Training is cool, because you can feel more accomplished when you are done with your Pokemon, in comparism to horde battles anyway

- Event Pokemon contradict the whole idea of Pokemon
the games are meant for sharing and having fun. Event Pokemon only create elitism by dividing the players into two groups: those who have them and those who can't get them

- "everyone who hacks Pokemon into their game should get their cardridge destroyed"
I hate the whole ruckus that people make off of the possibility that there might be the slightest chance that it could possibly be that they get a hacked Pokemon traded, or battle against someone using hacked Pokemon. In fact at least 99.9% of the normal players wouldn't even be able to decide wheather a Pokemon is hacked or not. Wouldn't they be better of enjoying the game they want to enjoy it instead of constantly fearing a possibility that might even have happened to them long time before without them noticing (and thus not caring)?
If they don't trust the GTS (which as we all know consists to 100% of hacked Pokemon, trust me, it's true, because I said so) or other unknown players, why don't they simply stick with trading/battling with their trusted friends instead? *sorry for the rant here*

- Jessie and James have the best character design in the anime
they both have a good backstory and they have so much potential to become even better characters. Unfortunatly the creators of the anime seem to have scrapped the whole potential, so they both got stuck on the same level as Ash...

Back