• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is a mixed or physical samurott better; as of now my samurott's attack is 115 and sp. atk is at 95. He is at lvl. 40 and has naive nature. In my attempt to level him up faster I may have given him one too many patrats and pidoves to battle (Atk Evs)
Pure physical Samurott isn't that good, IMO, but it has its uses:
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Jet/Waterfall/Razor Shell
-Megahorn/Return
-Encore/Night Slash
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Or you can go for a mixed one:
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot/Hidden Power (Electric/Fire)
-Megahorn
EVs: 40 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf/Life Orb

Years
today got a cover/lid fossil and saved in front of the museum so I can restart the game to get the right nature for my tirtouga. But I noticed that no matter how many times I restarted it the ability is always sturdy, which is bad since I like the solid rock ability better. Am I just unlucky or is the ability determined when you receive the fossil?

and if there's no way to change it, is sturdy a bad ability to have? I've looked it up on serebii and bulbapedia and it doesn't sound that useful xD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
today got a cover/lid fossil and saved in front of the museum so I can restart the game to get the right nature for my tirtouga. But I noticed that no matter how many times I restarted it the ability is always sturdy, which is bad since I like the solid rock ability better. Am I just unlucky or is the ability determined when you receive the fossil?

and if there's no way to change it, is sturdy a bad ability to have? I've looked it up on serebii and bulbapedia and it doesn't sound that useful xD
You're just unlucky, I guess.

And Sturdy got a major improvement this generation. In Gens III-IV, it only blocked OHKO moves, but in Gen V, it's not the only thing it can do. Now, in Gen V, if the Pokemon would be OHKOed at full health, it's left with 1 HP instead. This is useful when you're using Shell Smash on Tirtouga/Carracosta.

Years
You're just unlucky, I guess.

And Sturdy got a major improvement this generation. In Gens III-IV, it only blocked OHKO moves, but in Gen V, it's not the only thing it can do. Now, in Gen V, if the Pokemon would be OHKOed at full health, it's left with 1 HP instead. This is useful when you're using Shell Smash on Tirtouga/Carracosta.

thanks for the info, maybe I'll keep sturdy after all xD
wouldn't solid rock be more useful since tirtouga has x4 grass weakness though?

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
thanks for the info, maybe I'll keep sturdy after all xD
wouldn't solid rock be more useful since tirtouga has x4 grass weakness though?
Tirouga(and Carracosta) is best when it has Sturdy, as it can always live the x4 Grass Attack.

Let's say it was in this situation. Carracosta has Solid Rock in this Demonstration.

Whimsicott vs Carracosta

Whimsicott's Mega Drain would do 52.9% - 62.3% (If both were Neutral Nature,31 IV, no EV)

Whimsicott's Giga Drain would do 90.3% - 106.9% (If both were Neutral Nature,31 IV, no EV)

What about Serperior? Let's find out!

Serperior's Giga Drain would do 87.2% - 103.8% (If both were Neutral Nature,31 IV, no EV)

Serperior's Leaf Blade would do 63.3% - 75.8% (If both were Neutral Nature,31 IV, no EV)

--------------------------------------------------

To put it this way, sure Solid Rock would let you survive SOME Grass Attacks, but Sturdy let's you survive all. Plus why would you send in Carracosta against a Grass type?

Years
  • Age 26
  • U.S.
  • Seen Mar 23, 2014
I've heard that in these games, Gamefreak killed perfect breeding or whatever you guys call it

Does that mean you can breed for a good nature by stopping one step before the egg hatches and then walk one step and if its not the desirable nature and soft reset until it is. And the same thing with shinys?

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Will an Everstone stop trade evolutions? People have told me yes and no. :/

n64benowitz177

Is The Man In The Mirror.
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2012
I can't seem to find the way through the Giant Chasm to battle Kyurem, I know I'm missing something, any advice?

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2011
PLEASE HELP

my son wants Pokemon Black or White for his birthday next month. i read on a shops website a review of this which stated that black is not as good.

which is best to buy him BLACK or WHITE

cheers in advance

fire woven

Erif Nevow, my RP name
Years
Really its whichever pokemon he wants. Most people like White, since that Pokemon looks cooler, but if he has any freinds gettingg the game, your son will definatly be happy with either. I know this probably isn't the best answer, but its pretty muc hthe truth. If he has freinds with this game, try to get him the opposite of what they have if it truly doesnt matter to him.

n64benowitz177

Is The Man In The Mirror.
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2012
Hard to explain. Perhaps this video will help you.

Ok thanks for the video, now lets try this again lol.

EDIT: Took no time at all, got him on second try(first time accidently killed it).

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It's mostly personal choice. There are ups and downs to Black and White.

But if you really have no clue and don't want to hint it to him at all to get his opinion, I would suggest going with White because of the legendary that people tend to like more.

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2011
the bloke reviewing it from the shop said that white has an area that black doesnt?? can you shed any light?

MiSoRamen

Flying with Skyla
Years
Their is a place called White Forest that you only go to in White and in Black it is Black City.

Mozarch4

Beginer trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • UAE
  • Seen Oct 3, 2011
no thats not true, each game has an exclusive area and an exclusive pokemons. my advice is to ask your son wich game he wants :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2011
thanks that is what i read. but the guy said that the white has more to unlock whereas the black is a training area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back