• 11 replies

Inteleon

Secret Agent Pokémon

Non-binary
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
1,644 posts
8.1 Years
As prior before gen 7, Gym badges from various gym leader are needed to get to pokemon league and it's just simple pokemon battling, the next thing GF comes up for 7th gen is Island Trials , these things you have to do task from the captain and/or island kahuna often you battle a totem pokemon and not just the captain nor kahuna, as for proven yourself you given a Z-crystal and after finishing grand trials you been awarded a stamp of that island and after all stamp you head to pokemon league.

Do you prefer earning gym badges thru old style pokemon battling or earn a stamp on your trainer's passport by fulfilling many task before finishing your grand trials.
♥Pair: Starrywindy♥ | Digimon Playthroughs

colours

she/her
imagination congregation
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
7,971 posts
16.4 Years
trials!

while yes, trials may be gyms dressed up in a different way (i suppose if you want to see it through that perspective), i found myself being more engaged by trials than i ever really have by gyms. with gyms, there's barely any real interaction with the gym leader, and battling is the central focus. this holds true to some degree with trials, but the trial captains have more personality and interaction with the player, and the trials themselves can be pretty fun. c:

Devalue

Any pronoun
Seen 24 Minutes Ago
Posted 5 Hours Ago
729 posts
224 Days
Trials. Made more sense than solving a gym puzzle. Who designs those gyms? Must take a lot of effort for a (relatively) simple puzzle.

Mixed up gameplay, more importantly. Encouraged debuffs. Showed off doubles strategies. Felt more difficult than the average gym leader too. Punched holes through Pokemon with 140 base Special Attack Water Guns + rain + Helping Hand, Toxic + Venoshock, and an instant Solar Blade.

Prefers badges over stamps, however. Represents your victory clearer.
Current Virtual Pokemon Pet: Starmie
Hatches at 614 posts
Level 100 at 759 posts

Game Journal Thread
Most Recent Entry: Fire Emblem: Three Houses Blue Lions Maddening Chapters 18 - Endgame
Male
Netherlands
Seen 4 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
7,126 posts
1.3 Years
hmmm.... I like having badges. I feel like they should just do something different with gyms rather than the mandatory 'here's a bunch of trainers and a puzzle': why not put trials in a gym? =p
I quite liked the trials, as they were a break from the same old same old Gyms. Idk if I like them more though. Can't seem to pick lol

Trade Shop | My HA pokemon trade sheet. | My Shinies. | My VPP. | Yamper @ Level 100: 7,275 | Galarian Rapidash @ Lv 100: 7,275

Nah

Age 29
she/her, they/them
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
14,919 posts
7.9 Years
they're kinda just the same thing to me so I can't say I have a preference
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
64 posts
89 Days
Island Trials ended up effectively being gyms by another name and without trainers. You solve a puzzle (Or don't solve a puzzle because the devs ran out of time/budget), have a climactic battle against a specific type, and can progress again after your victory.

I liked Totem Pokemon as a different kind of capstone challenge at the end of a gym, but I also think that too often the challenge in a Totem Battle just came from the totem Pokemon's overwhelming stats. And facing one Pokemon with overwhelming stats instead of a more balanced team encourages and rewards cheese. Ultimate example of this (Thought it isn't a Totem battle) is Ultra Necrozma.

Sheep

she/her
Australia
Seen 12 Hours Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
I really liked the concept of trials, not to mention that totem battle music was A+. It was super refreshing to play through games that didn't have gyms for once - seems like it was very hit or miss with people, but I liked it a lot. Honestly hard to say which I enjoyed more, but probably do lean more towards trials since they're unique and I've gone through the gym puzzle + battle thing in 7 other generations already. Can see the argument that trials are basically just gyms in a different costume but my mind didn't really see it that way, haha.

art blog | art thread | vpp | mal | ffxiv
sheep x bobandbill 5ever

NipahRika

Age 30
Female
USA
Online now
Posted 24 Minutes Ago
142 posts
36 Days
I honestly liked the island trials a lot more, but gym battles are pretty great honestly too. I am torn between choosing just one. I think the trials were a nice change from the gyms back during S&M.
Switch FC: 6546-0842-6796

cloud_Royalty

Age 16
he/him
UK
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
2 posts
29 Days
Island trials are in general more fun, to me at least. After you've done one gym you've kinda done them all.
Tbh I wish they'd been a bit more complex (looking at you fire trial) but its a nice change from just fighting trainers.
Way prefer badges though, I kinda forgot you get stamps after beating trials lol

Megan

Explorer Empress

Age 31
She/Her
Seen 7 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
8,665 posts
8.7 Years
I like the Trials mostly for just feeling different. They may come down to the exact same as Gym challenges. But things were switched up just enough that it felt like a different experience, regardless. The Totem Pokemon were also a nice little puzzle to solve.
Art | Moderator of Previous Generations, Forum Games and VPP
Isn't intelligence what gives you insights of your own thoughts at the expense of losing sight of what's in front of you?

Inner Rhymes

Hip Hop and Pokemon are all I need.

He/Him
India.
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 11 Hours Ago
1,251 posts
4.4 Years
Badges aithout a doubt, I mean, even if the trials were just gyms cloaked to seem different, I actually felt like I "earned" my victory in a gym battle as opposed to trials. It's probably why I do not find Sun and Moon interesting enough to play through again.
Ayee I just dropped my latest single Soulace on all streaming platforms. This is a chill Lofi track that's very personal to me! I hope y'all enjoy!

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fT3k2KU1dw
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/0EeJ5hMa8YUDHaZEhmbCqk
Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/in/album/soulace-single/1565986518?ls