• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Most Disappointing Pokémon You Have Used From The Fifth Generation

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Golurk. I expected this Pokemon to be amazing but it turned out to be a huge disappointment :( I was soo excited to use one because it's a combination of two of my favourite types and its stats + moves + typing are all very good, as well as an ability that increases the power of punching moves, but it was a massive disappointment and could barely hurt a fly. Whether or not this was down to IVs or nature I don't know because in all honesty I didn't think to check on account of it being an in-game Pokemon, but yeah, huge disappointment!

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2012
I hate liepard! The design looks nice but it has bad stats
Trubbish/Garbodor its dissappointing too.
Foongus is better than liepard and trubbish

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I had to say I was most disappointed in heatmor

Oh why? Is it because of its ability or the fact that other fire Pokemon just outclass it?

There're a lot of dissappointing pokemon in unova. They should fix it. I wish Pokemon Black 2 and White2 will be better!

Well the point of this thread is to mention what in particular you're disappointed in! So which ones in specific that you've used - maybe a few of us may end up agreeing?

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Zebstrika. from the design, I thought that it is going to be another decent electabuzz. I was mistaken. I dumped it as soon as I can replace it with Galvantula. That spider is more wicked.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Serperior wasn't that great to use. Its attack stats aren't very good, though its defenses are. I suppose it's only underwhelming because I'm so used to going to my starter when I need to finish something quickly.

Also, while Hydreigon is great, it's not worth the absurdly high evolution level.

Years
Liepard was the most dissapointing pokemon I've ever used.. I guess it's because I've put some real high expectations on it, I mean real high!
a Dark pokemon with a fantastic design that is obtainable from the start of the game, that's just wow! but as you evolve it and try to engage it in battles, you immediately feel how very weak it is.. I couldn't keep it for long although I loved it

Leavanny and Zebstrika as well, to some extent the move sets they've been given aren't really great, especially Zebstrika which has a great design and it deserves better, but at least it does it's job pretty fine and can sweep teams on it's own

Migrating Mews

Mew Master
Years
Darmanitan (Zen Mode) and Audino. Darmanitan look really cool but then really sucked at attacking for me. Audino... well... it's self explanatory. lol

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Darmanitan (Zen Mode) and Audino. Darmanitan look really cool but then really sucked at attacking for me. Audino... well... it's self explanatory. lol

Unfortunately I disagree on the Audino part. I played through with it non-seriously, but by level 100 it was my strongest Pokemon and took on Alder's team and easily defeated it - even Volcarona, so if grinded it can be of real use in the games, imo.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I caught a Purrloin early in the game but it was really bad - it didn't learn any good moves leveling up, horrible stats, was just bad in general. It could have been and looked really good too. :/

For some odd reason I kept with it during the black storyline and it held up my team, instead of training the others I would be using the trainers to level up Purrloin and still it was really bad D:

Zebstrika was really disappointing too, it was also frail and has a bad movepool. :/

Also Pidove's line. They could have given it a better movepool too, it didn't really get much of a choice with attacks.

Years
I think that Nintendo should do away with Unova. i love pokemon dearly, but this one just doesn't cut it for me. it doesn't really feel like a pokemon game to me.
oh and for the most disappointing pokemon in unova,

pidove! this pokemon had a cool design and all, (i love male unfezant) but the movepool was really shocking! early on i didn't have a decent move besides air cutter (which didn't do it for me).

also purrloin,
crappy defenses, and ok attack stat. the only thing that it had going for it was speed.
all around bad pokemon.

anyway now that we are done complaining, let's have a cup of tea shall we?

Ultimate Uchiha

Switchin' It Up
Years
Braviary was definitely a major letdown for me. I remember seeing it's pre-release picture and think how much of an epic Pokemon it would turn out to be. Sadly, it's stats are nowhere near what I hoped they would be and training a Rufflet all the way to level 54 is not something I would do again. I don't think Braviary is a bad Pokemon but there are other flying types I'd rather use like Archeops even with it's terrible ability.

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2012
Cryogonal, by a long shot. I saw its picture and thought it was going to be this gen's Ice-type beast (like Glalie in Gen III) and then there was the fact that the chances of meeting it in the wild only go as high as 5%. I got super excited over it and had great plans for it. Then after nearly 5 hours in Twist Mountain I got one and it was such a let down. Its Sp. Atk was ok but it was useless in every other stat.

The three monkey pokemon, obviously. They quickly outlived their usefulness.

Druddigon. I didn't like its low speed. I make it a rule that if a Pokemon needs a Quick Claw to go first it has no place on my team. I only broke that for the Tirtouga line who, unless you choose Oshawott or Snivy, are the first water types you can get (I think).

I do have to disagree with a lot of the others though. I found Zebstrika to be a great pokemon, even though I replaced it with Joltik/Galvantula it served its purpose well. Purrloin is this Gen's Poochyena, don't expect it to work wonders and cr*p miracles :)

Vsjester13

Former battler
Years
First off i found Patrat abit of a letdown it became useless really fast.

Secound i found Deerling and Sawsbuck pretty useless sure the idea of a deer that looks different depending on the season was good but i never really found it a usefull pokemon.

Third would be Cubchoo and it's evo it's one of the worst ice types from my point of view.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2018
The starters themselves...never I have felt the starters to be so redundant. Serperior, Emboar and Samurott and their preevolved forms honestly disappointed me.(not design wise but battle wise)

Serperior was practically useless ingame it takes atleast 3-4 coils to actually kill something.

Emboar was okay. But the fact is I had to rely on Arm thrust for a looong time and I actually couldn't use him properly till the 7th gym, where he learnt Brick Break and the gym was Ice gym.

I honestly can't comment about Samurott because I didn't play the game completely when I played the first time and chose Oshawott...and yes I played BW three times.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
For me it would have to be Liepard. I LOVE its design, but I was so disappointed with how little I could really use it. Mine ended up being replaced fairly early on by Scraggy/Scrafty.

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
Years
1. Pansear - I had a bad experience using Pansear against Cilan, it has a horrible moveset when you first get it with the only good moves being Lick & Incinerate (Which was a horrible move) so it failed but when it evolves it gets better.

2. Heatmor I tested it out and it battled just how it looked.

3. Woobat evolution line Again, tested them and they sucked.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Secound i found Deerling and Sawsbuck pretty useless sure the idea of a deer that looks different depending on the season was good but i never really found it a usefull pokemon.

imo it's p awesome competitively, especially in sun. :x

Cryogonal, by a long shot. I saw its picture and thought it was going to be this gen's Ice-type beast (like Glalie in Gen III) and then there was the fact that the chances of meeting it in the wild only go as high as 5%. I got super excited over it and had great plans for it. Then after nearly 5 hours in Twist Mountain I got one and it was such a let down. Its Sp. Atk was ok but it was useless in every other stat.

It also has nice special defense too! sucky defense though unfortunately. :(

Braviary was definitely a major letdown for me. I remember seeing it's pre-release picture and think how much of an epic Pokemon it would turn out to be. Sadly, it's stats are nowhere near what I hoped they would be and training a Rufflet all the way to level 54 is not something I would do again. I don't think Braviary is a bad Pokemon but there are other flying types I'd rather use like Archeops even with it's terrible ability.

Well it does get access to good moves such as Return/Brave Bird/U-turn/Superpower (lmao @ basically its competitive moveset :x) so it can do good if trained right imo.

I think that Nintendo should do away with Unova.

:(

Back