• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Instead of making a post every time you discover something (although these are hardly discoveries) why don't you document all of your findings and publish them in the Documents and Tutorials section?

Years
Heck,here's something weird:
I decompiled the script for Emerald when you jump out of
the truck and your mom comes and says all this...
Went to VBA and played it...Still works!
I even deleted the OW sprite of the mom in A-map 1.92,
STILL WORKS!

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Heck,here's something weird:
I decompiled the script for Emerald when you jump out of
the truck and your mom comes and says all this...
Went to VBA and played it...Still works!
I even deleted the OW sprite of the mom in A-map 1.92,
STILL WORKS!
I don't believe that decompiling scripts changes anything in the ROM.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I don't believe that decompiling scripts changes anything in the ROM.

If decompiling a script changed it, then you couldn't know what the decompiled script actually was hence a major bug LOL

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I have a question about title screens. I've seen two different styles of editing them and they seem to have the same level of difficulty. Why do people say tile map editing is easier? I think it is as difficult as the other method (I can't think of it's name) and they're similar.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
AUGH

The palate for the Emerald Title Screen doesn't seem to be changing! >_>

Although the offset to the image is at 0x80AA95C, so you can repoint it if what you replace is too big.

BTW, Gir, Tilemaps are easy with Professional Tilemap Creator (PTC). It's great because you can have a large selection of tiles, so you don't have to insert each tile one by one, but rather just put them all in at once.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I have a question about title screens. I've seen two different styles of editing them and they seem to have the same level of difficulty. Why do people say tile map editing is easier? I think it is as difficult as the other method (I can't think of it's name) and they're similar.
I'm can' think of any way of changing the tiltlescreen without using a tile map editor, unless of course you simply edit the graphics without changing their locations.

-----
ca i ask a question ?
---
what are the offsets of the starter pokemons on LG/FR ?
---
thanks .
---
and oh,
mr.HackMew, are you a programmer ?
i was wondering, is it possible to make a POKESAV or any SAV file edittor in SYMBIAN format ?
-----
This is the ROM Hacking Discussion thread. You'd be better off asking your question in the Simple Questions Thread. And if you're going to ask a question directly at one person, you should probably either VM or PM them.

To keep this on-topic, here's a video that shows a door animation which I exported from FR/LG to Emerald:
Spoiler:

I don't know the exact offset of the door animations but I know it's general location in the ROM and I can get the exact offset if anyone wants.

Last edited:

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
Nevermind colcolstyles made me realize the answer.

On topic: The different doors could be useful if someone wanted to use the tiles from FireRed and still have the features of R/S/E. Good Job colcolstyles.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Nevermind colcolstyles made me realize the answer.

On topic: The different doors could be useful if someone wanted to use the tiles from FireRed and still have the features of R/S/E. Good Job colcolstyles.
Thanks.
My next goal is to get the PokéCenter and PokéMart doors in. I had tried to change the PC/Mart in Ruby (the actual building) to Fire Red's type but the 2-block door animation screwed up that plan. But I should be able to do it now.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Wow that's so cool! I was planning to do something like a split timeline (after certain parts you play as another character for a bit) but I have no asm knowledge :(

Nah, don't worry... I planned a tutorial to change the player OW already ;)

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Yes. You can either Hex Edit completely, or use the ELF (tr.exe) method. Both are more complicated, but give more power to the compiler, and allows for debugging, and it's harder to make mistakes. Both require hex editing, but it's worth it. I can tutor if you like (under the tutoring topic though, discussion ends HE-AH)

So, I've been hacking at Emerald again. Remember kids! Trainer Backsprites are uncompressed, so what will you need? A tile editor, that's what!

Also, a little random music hacking from me (lol):

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
I tryed making this into a thread but It wasent apovered the mod said that post belongs here so here I go

road to becoming a good rom hacker
I see all to often a kid finding out he can make his own pokemon game has no idea how to hack downloads advance map the eisest hacking tool makes rare pokemon in route one puts hidden mesages in the maps( like "hi" with grass) then they call it a hack and make some teriable story line and put in in the scrap box no bodey helps because it looks bad and all they can do by them self is map( using that term lossly) so there hack gose know where they give up and go to the next ambition that will go know were...

If you want to become a good rom hacker this is what you should do.
1st download all the hacking tools and read the read me(s) then mess with a fire red rom make some maps so scripts just mess around see what you can do then read some tutorials and try following them. if you have any problems ask around

2nd join a hacking team now dont go crazy and see how manny will acept you at all times the max teams you should be on is 3 to 4.
gain some experence and the team should also give you some pointers also help around if you can.

3rd now on your own spare time jot down some ideas for a hack and jot down some story line also start making the home town and a few maps once you done a decent amount of work your self submit your hack to progressive hacks (not scrap book, scrap book gets you know where in my opinion ) now that it got accepted work some more one your own and keep the theard updated if people give you constructive critsim dont get mad get glad that there helping you, take it into consideration and work on what they told you about.

4th make and start a team thread you proberly relise you cant make a hack all by your self.
dont exsept the first pesone that applies for your thread if there not as good as you are, if there less give them some pointers and be nice and work with them.
now that you got a team going dont stop working continue to follow your dreams of rom hacking and good look youl need it

also if a new persone comes asking for help dont just denine them saying your too busy rember what it was like to be new and help them out they may join your team and be a good asset to your team.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I completely disagree with that. A good ROM hacker shouldn't rely on tools. Sure, they're useful (and should be made the most of), but a good hacker will realise that tools are limited. It's possible to get just as good, or better, results without tools if you put in the work.
For example, I inserted all the D/P Pokemon data into FR without tools; if you learn how it works, you don't have to spend hours editing each Pokemon individually in a tool. Same for sprites; I also inserted all 493 Pokemon sprites (front and back) without IrfanView or UnLZ-GBA. If I'd used those, then it would have taken me days. But working on it myself, I did it in a couple of hours. So if you can't fnd a tool for what you need to do, don't try and make do; figure it out and make your own tool for it. That's how I made the features in RHXP; they're all things which haven't been done before, or were far too time-consuming with old tools.
And then there's ASM. It's not necessary, but it can really make your hack look and play more uniquely if you use it. I don't know any myself, but if I actually wanted to make a hack, then I would learn it.
Obviously, don't try and do everything manually; if a tool exists for what you're trying to do, make use of it. But there will be times when there is no tool for what you're trying to do.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I completely disagree with that. A good ROM hacker shouldn't rely on tools. Sure, they're useful (and should be made the most of), but a good hacker will realise that tools are limited. It's possible to get just as good, or better, results without tools if you put in the work.
For example, I inserted all the D/P Pokemon data into FR without tools; if you learn how it works, you don't have to spend hours editing each Pokemon individually in a tool. Same for sprites; I also inserted all 493 Pokemon sprites (front and back) without IrfanView or UnLZ-GBA. If I'd used those, then it would have taken me days. But working on it myself, I did it in a couple of hours. So if you can't fnd a tool for what you need to do, don't try and make do; figure it out and make your own tool for it. That's how I made the features in RHXP; they're all things which haven't been done before, or were far too time-consuming with old tools.
And then there's ASM. It's not necessary, but it can really make your hack look and play more uniquely if you use it. I don't know any myself, but if I actually wanted to make a hack, then I would learn it.
Obviously, don't try and do everything manually; if a tool exists for what you're trying to do, make use of it. But there will be times when there is no tool for what you're trying to do.

Exactly, I only use the basic tools for stuff (trainer editor, map editor script editor, tile viewer, music assembler and LZ77 compressed image editor). For everything else I use a hex editor e.g. OW resizing, some text editing (sometimes use a text editor), palette editing and more :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back