• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
It a very good map in my opinion but like Arcticblast said, it's pretty busy. There is way too many trees in certain spots. Over where the cliff meets the beach there are a lot of tile errors though, especially on the cliff corners. I do like it though, the tile are clean and pretty and the idea is amazing. 8/10...

...And here is my map.
Name: Honor Village
Game: No game
Comments: First in a while. This map was made just to get back into mapping/hacking. I really need help with tree and flower placement obviously. Anyways, enjoy!! Please be as much of a critic as you want.
Credits: Master of Puppets for the Rombase and everyone who made the tiles
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
It's not a bad map it a good one u just did a little mistake while u made an one tile which forces the player to go at that to reach that pond with water avoid those things.
Still it have a very big empty space in the central of the village maybe threw some other bigger tree that one seems a bit lonely there and maybe an pokecenter too and the flowre placement isn't the best at some spot u threw flowers and on some u didn;t like at the underpath after the entrace there and the aprt at the buttom under the two houses which are placed near each other.
u get an 6/10 for this improve it a little and it looks good than.
info: an city where gamblers live
EDIT: credits: prince legendario , kyledove , boomxbig , rossay , ultimospriter calis project

Spoiler:

CnC are welcome:)

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
now to my map
map name: Kasinai city
rom hack: LoA
info: an city where gamblers live

Spoiler:

CnC are welcome:)

No credits?

Well, this map is very different to the last one you posted. The map is far less 'natural' (this isn't a bad thing, it is just a different style) but by doing this you have brought up the issue of monotony in your map. Almost all of the walkable ground in this map is a single path, with little regular ground in the map. I'd advise you break up the path every now and then to vary the ground the player is exposed to, this will also allow to add even more things like flowers which will make it even more interesting.

This next issue seems to exasperate the monotony that I was talking about earlier: The distances between houses and other features are pretty long. The player is going to have to walk a long time between placed with nothing in between (apart from random NPCs) which could become tedious. I'd say that the map is too large just to have seven building which you can enter, so downsizing the map would be a good idea. Have a look at the two paths entering the town from the top. They're pretty long when they really don't need to be (You may have to move the houses near the right path to prevent them from looking glitchy if the map the path connects to doesn't use the same secondary tileset though). Anyway, move the houses/ PC closer together to cut down on long travel times.

Other than those two issues, I think this map is looking fine. Just vary the ground every now and then and don't make the distance between places of interest too excruciating :P

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2012
...And here is my map.
Comments: First in a while. This map was made just to get back into mapping/hacking. I really need help with tree and flower placement obviously. Anyways, enjoy!! Please be as much of a critic as you want.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
I like having the tall grass in the bottom left, and it's a well designed map in my opinion (I for one like open space) but I don't like the tileset. The houses stand out too much and the mountain tiles look ugly (though I like the mountain design). Also, it looks a bit dim.

And at Anbuja's_BlooDY: I agree with basically everything DrFuji said.

Anyway, I'm posting a map.
No game as of yet, made on a FireRed rom, etc.
Spoiler:

Before you say TILE ERROR, I just found one in the left pond (do I need those bottom curves at all?).

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years

Spoiler:

Before you say TILE ERROR, I just found one in the left pond (do I need those bottom curves at all?).
well all in all i like this map very much but just some minor problems ur forxing sometimes the player to walk on just one tile bright path avoid those as much as u can but overall it looks quit good:)
and yup i wont say tile error after u asked to not say:)

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Arcticblast
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Watchman
...And here is my map.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
I like having the tall grass in the bottom left, and it's a well designed map in my opinion (I for one like open space) but I don't like the tileset. The houses stand out too much and the mountain tiles look ugly (though I like the mountain design). Also, it looks a bit dim.

Spoiler:

well i see you said dont mention that error so i wont :) anyway its not a bad map i would try stay away from the 1 tile paths tho but all in all good map.

ohk so mine

rom name Firered
game Pokemon tanzanite
mainly to test tiles
credits the usual
map :
labmap.jpg

marcc5m

what
Years
well i see you said dont mention that error so i wont :) anyway its not a bad map i would try stay away from the 1 tile paths tho but all in all good map.

ohk so mine

rom name Firered
game Pokemon tanzanite
mainly to test tiles
credits the usual
map :
labmap.jpg

Well first of all the level of the water doesn't make any sense. Might want to fix it. Second, why are the flowers dead? The trees are poorly resized and need a shadow. There are two tile errors behind the lab. It's also very empty and boring, and the lab doesn't seem to fit in. Neither do the paths. Speaking of paths, the sandy one is too square. I could say more but I cba.

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
Well first of all the level of the water doesn't make any sense. Might want to fix it. Second, why are the flowers dead? The trees are poorly resized and need a shadow. There are two tile errors behind the lab. It's also very empty and boring, and the lab doesn't seem to fit in. Neither do the paths. Speaking of paths, the sandy one is too square. I could say more but I cba.

Yea if this was for testing tiles, honestly i wouldnt use them, but thats my opinion and taste. fireworks is right about most of the things, the mountain and the paths. might wasnt to add in signs and such, another house or two, but assuming this is only a testing map, id give it a 5/10
Info: nothing special, just practicing my mapping. small town with very little happening in it. i feel like the mart kinda feels out of place, but im not so sure.
Credits: Nintendo for the rom and tiles.

Spoiler:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Acealo
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks
Yea if this was for testing tiles, honestly i wouldnt use them, but thats my opinion and taste. fireworks is right about most of the things, the mountain and the paths. might wasnt to add in signs and such, another house or two, but assuming this is only a testing map, id give it a 5/10
Info: nothing special, just practicing my mapping. small town with very little happening in it. i feel like the mart kinda feels out of place, but im not so sure.
Credits: Nintendo for the rom and tiles.

Spoiler:
uhm ja your right just testing tiles..

anyway i have to say it feels a bit empty to me it seems as if you added more tile conections with the old FR tiles i actually never see this so props on that over all not a bad map so 7.5\10
and just curious BERTHA?

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023
rom name Firered
game Pokemon tanzanite
mainly to test tiles
credits the usual
map :
Spoiler:

I don't really like this map. At some spots you have too much going on.(The trees above the bottom path) While others have nearly nothing. (The top path) The paths also have no business being there either. They are just there. :/ The top one is also a bit too squareish and unnatural, like Fireworks said. Now the lab just seems awkward to be there by it self too.

I suggest removing the paths(or changing them to fit better). Try separating the trees a little more too, it'll kind of help with the naturalism.

Name: Honor Village 2.0
Rom: Firered
Game: None
Credits: MasterofPuppets and the people who made the tiles.
Comments: I kinda did what was suggested and such by adding more trees, though unfortunately, I couldn't add a mart or Pokecenter with the tiles on the rombase.(They're just too big) Anyways I kinda changed the flower arrangement. Not likely for the better though...

The building on the bottom left is the daycare center. (Something I should've said originally) Which explains the enclosure area. The cave on the top leads to a final mission, like Mewtwo in Firered, which would be guarded by someone important, like the Professor of the region.(Who lives North of town.
Map:
Spoiler:

Edit: I'm also gonna try and make this with better tiles.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
Comments: I kinda did what was suggested and such by adding more trees, though unfortunately, I couldn't add a mart or Pokecenter with the tiles on the rombase.(They're just too big) Anyways I kinda changed the flower arrangement. Not likely for the better though...

The building on the bottom left is the daycare center. (Something I should've said originally) Which explains the enclosure area. The cave on the top leads to a final mission, like Mewtwo in Firered, which would be guarded by someone important, like the Professor of the region.(Who lives North of town.
Map:
Spoiler:

Well since you already understand you need more trees, you just need to fill up the extra space, hopefully a pokemart and pokecenter would do that once you find the right tiles. to me it seems the paths are too big, causing the 2 tile paths to look very odd and small compared to the bigger paths. the mountains are a bit plain on the right side, and all of them are a little too square also. as for the enclosure, it should be entirely closed off, so you cant really walk in the grass, and since there should be the small pokemon ows inside. the fence toward the top feel squished, maybe switch put the corner tiles for the straight ones so that its 2 straight fences.
Map Score: 4/10
Credits: Nintendo

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2012
Map Name: No Name
Hack: Unnamed
Info: A small seaside town, included a lighthouse just for fun.

1) Cool people put picture links in tags so they show up. XD
2) What happened to windows? None of the plain houses have any. (They're near the mart tiles.)
3) MAJOR TILE ERROR near the lighthouse.
4) If it's a seaside town, why not include a small beach area?
5) The structure of the town itself is rather appealing. I like it.

Overall, 4.5/10.

DoomLucario

Scripter Needed
Years

Map:
Spoiler:

First of all, I don't really like the tiles, especially the mountain tiles. There is no grass in towns, the path dominates the map, and some parts are a bit empty.
5/10

Map Name: Unnamed
Map Game: Firered
Credits: Gamefreak
This is the starter town for my hack.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
1) Cool people put picture links in tags so they show up. XD
2) What happened to windows? None of the plain houses have any. (They're near the mart tiles.)
3) MAJOR TILE ERROR near the lighthouse.
4) If it's a seaside town, why not include a small beach area?
5) The structure of the town itself is rather appealing. I like it.

Overall, 4.5/10.[/QUOTE]
wow didnt even notice the url and tile error, thx for that. srry about no beach, unsafe waters :P

[QUOTE="DoomLucario, post: 6710076, member: 215498"]First of all, I don't really like the tiles, especially the mountain tiles. There is no grass in towns, the path dominates the map, and some parts are a bit empty.
5/10

[SPOILER][IMG]http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/HackDeoxys/1-10.jpg[/SPOILER]
honestly, this is a bad map. you overused the smaller tree, and most dont even have the little extra part pf the tree making it a 3 tile tree. and your mountains are TOO straight and square, try making things more natural. and the little beach area has no entrance, so an umbrella is unreasonable. lastly, there are tons of tile errors. i do like the concept though, its unique.
Info: i always thought of the idea for a cliff city, but the sky tiles are lacking. but i noticed on navel rock, it kind of had a pseudo sky, which i used(doesn't look that great.) other then that, this is like a rest stop town before the next route.

Next thing, i know there are tons of tile errors, mostly with the trees over mountains. its pretty hard to work with those without major tile editing so, bare with me on those. i did notice on other tile error with the tree on the bottom, i would fix it, but i didn't save this map other then this picture shown. other then those, plz inform me on the others.

Spoiler:

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
wow didnt even notice the url and tile error, thx for that. srry about no beach, unsafe waters :P

honestly, this is a bad map. you overused the smaller tree, and most dont even have the little extra part pf the tree making it a 3 tile tree. and your mountains are TOO straight and square, try making things more natural. and the little beach area has no entrance, so an umbrella is unreasonable. lastly, there are tons of tile errors. i do like the concept though, its unique.
Info: i always thought of the idea for a cliff city, but the sky tiles are lacking. but i noticed on navel rock, it kind of had a pseudo sky, which i used(doesn't look that great.) other then that, this is like a rest stop town before the next route.

Next thing, i know there are tons of tile errors, mostly with the trees over mountains. its pretty hard to work with those without major tile editing so, bare with me on those. i did notice on other tile error with the tree on the bottom, i would fix it, but i didn't save this map other then this picture shown. other then those, plz inform me on the others.

Spoiler:

"A little lesson in politeness mixed with a review" By Winter Wonderland

Firstly, you shouldn't open a review with "This map is bad." It's just plain rude. Use other things such as, "I don't like this map very much." First off, the very bottom, the tree is missing a corner. Also, it seems like you used the same FR grass tile in concentrated in many areas. You will also face border errors on both sides of the map, and the bottom. There are no paths in this town, not a single sign that a human's walked from one place to the other. You should add a couple of paths to make it look like someone's actually been through here / there's actually life going on. The flowers are spread too widely and there's very few of them. Try clumping flowers in groups of two and three. There should also be groups of big trees instead of having them single-like and widely spread like that. The mountain shape is good, I do give you credit for that. Also, there is the absence of small trees except for one. A small tree isn't a Mew, therefore there should be more than one in existance. The house and the PokeMart at the bottom of the map... they're inaccessible. What's the point of having them there if you can't even get to it? My advice would simply be to add a staircase to it or move them. Also, the posts at the fence towards the upper part of the map, the brown things are tile errors. If you look closely, it's a square of green grass that shows no blending into the mountain. It's like putting a mountain tile and a grass tile DIRECTLY next to each other, it just doesn't look right. A lot of the corners for the mountains, like where the top right end of the tree meets a corner of the mountain, is glitchy looking. Fix these things, and you should have a decent looking map. Final rating: 2/10

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
"A little lesson in politeness mixed with a review" By Winter Wonderland

Firstly, you shouldn't open a review with "This map is bad." It's just plain rude. Use other things such as, "I don't like this map very much." First off, the very bottom, the tree is missing a corner. Also, it seems like you used the same FR grass tile in concentrated in many areas. You will also face border errors on both sides of the map, and the bottom. There are no paths in this town, not a single sign that a human's walked from one place to the other. You should add a couple of paths to make it look like someone's actually been through here / there's actually life going on. The flowers are spread too widely and there's very few of them. Try clumping flowers in groups of two and three. There should also be groups of big trees instead of having them single-like and widely spread like that. The mountain shape is good, I do give you credit for that. Also, there is the absence of small trees except for one. A small tree isn't a Mew, therefore there should be more than one in existance. The house and the PokeMart at the bottom of the map... they're inaccessible. What's the point of having them there if you can't even get to it? My advice would simply be to add a staircase to it or move them. Also, the posts at the fence towards the upper part of the map, the brown things are tile errors. If you look closely, it's a square of green grass that shows no blending into the mountain. It's like putting a mountain tile and a grass tile DIRECTLY next to each other, it just doesn't look right. A lot of the corners for the mountains, like where the top right end of the tree meets a corner of the mountain, is glitchy looking. Fix these things, and you should have a decent looking map. Final rating: 2/10

srry if i sounded so rude, there was no intention to be. i was trying to get my points across, though i could fuse in kinds thoughts. about my map though, thanks for being brutally honest, i kind of needed that wake up call. my not trying to think of excuses but almost all the things your mentioned werent done due to lazy habits and the fact that i rushed this map, i tend to be more worried about time i spend on a map then think of quality second. thanks again, ill learn from this.

Chiar

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 5, 2014
It's not a bad map. The mountains and almost everything else are alright. The parasol and that grey thing on the south look a bit off and some trees have no shadows. You could have problems with borders. 8/10
~
Name: Breeze Town
Game: Fire Red
The grass tile is going to be swapped with Emerald Grass. It's a starter town, so it's pretty boring.
Spoiler:

Winter Wonderland

Years
Name: Breeze Town
Game: Fire Red
The grass tile is going to be swapped with Emerald Grass. It's a starter town, so it's pretty boring.
Spoiler:

Well, starter towns don't really have to be boring. For example, you could expand the map, add a mountain with the lab on top, and make a bunch of layers. Throw in a water formation, coupled with some greenery, and you've got yourself a nice map.

Well, onto your map, I guess I should start with tile errors. The only ones I can spot are in your trees where they are occasionally shadowed wrong. Look at some of the default Fire Red maps to see how tree shading should be done. Or go the cheap way and totally don't do shadowing like me.
Hmm. I can't really comment on your grass tiles since you said you're replacing them. However, the paths in this town are entirely too straight. The path you chose is like walked on grass. So, the path should be a bit. Same goes for the sand path.
Also, there's a complete absence of the small trees. I think your map could do with a bit more flowers and big trees as well, somewhere throughout the middle. 'Cause, in all honesty, your map is just REALLY square. Also, another thing you could do is, when / if you expand the map, make the houses not line up in rows. Spread them out a bit. It's a very small town, so each house should have a lot of land around it(Kind of like if you roam the countryside, you see that the houses are very spaced out, but each house owns a LOT of land). You could also throw in a bush, or two. Read a mapping tutorial, or simply look at some of the other maps that have gotten high ratings on here so you can see what I mean when I say your map looks man-made and very unnatural. :) You do have potential, though. Everyone does. So, if you take my suggestions to heart and try them, you could be a very good mapper.
Remember, don't be afraid to go outside of the box. Try new things and experiment. Envision a beautiful, quaint town in your head and set to work on it using Advance Map as your canvas. :) You can only be as good as your imagination.
Final rating: 3/10.

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years
First of all, I don't really like the tiles, especially the mountain tiles. There is no grass in towns, the path dominates the map, and some parts are a bit empty.
5/10

Spoiler:

I like the map concept but the playability could be better, try to expand it for space. I like the shape and how it look like a island. Work on those flaw and it be good. 6\10

Map name: Scarlet Town
Hack: Pokemon SolarLuna
comment: this is my starter town, I think there some shading error but otherwise that I think I did a decent job for not hacking for like what, 11 month. BTW ignore the event lol
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
Map name: Scarlet Town
Hack: Pokemon SolarLuna
comment: this is my starter town, I think there some shading error but otherwise that I think I did a decent job for not hacking for like what, 11 month. BTW ignore the event lol
Spoiler:

I like the simplicity of the map, it has a refreshing feel to it. there isn't a lot to criticize about this, i only feel like the mountains/sea boundaries are rather too straight, giving off a man made feel. Another thing, more like a pet peeve of mine, is the wide paths, especially at the bottom. i feel it over covers the town and takes away from the simple feeling of a starting town.
Great small town overall, just a few mapping-style remarks. 7/10
Info: small town with a bland beach on the bottom (i couldnt find any beach tiles in firered rom). exiting the city is through the bottom left,through the beach; where you enter a more modern port city.

Spoiler:

Winter Wonderland

Years
I like the simplicity of the map, it has a refreshing feel to it. there isn't a lot to criticize about this, i only feel like the mountains/sea boundaries are rather too straight, giving off a man made feel. Another thing, more like a pet peeve of mine, is the wide paths, especially at the bottom. i feel it over covers the town and takes away from the simple feeling of a starting town.
Great small town overall, just a few mapping-style remarks. 7/10
Info: small town with a bland beach on the bottom (i couldnt find any beach tiles in firered rom). exiting the city is through the bottom left,through the beach; where you enter a more modern port city.

Spoiler:

Lesson learned I suppose. ;) I think I'm gonna rate this map from the bottom to the top, if you don't mind.

Bottom: All of the water, it's a tile error. Notice the corner of mountains in the water, they're a lighter blue, right? Meaning... the darker blue must be deeper water. Water for diving, actually. Also, for the rocks making the border, I feel as if you didn't alternate them enough. The shape of the beach is nice, though. Although, I feel as if it could've been a little more straight. It appears as if you overdid the corners of the beach line. Also, unless the mountain continues on in the map to the right of this map, it looks like you'll be having some border errors. I do rather like the mountain shape that leads to the rest of the village, but, I think(same as the beach) you overdid the corners on the mountain towards the right end. Lastly, on the topic of the bottom of the map, I think you could add grass. Like, using the top of the sand path tiles to cut out some grass formation. If you don't understand what I'm trying to tell you, just VM and I'll explain further.

Top: I feel as if the amount of flowers you used was a bit excessive. Also, I like your tree placement. Not too many, not too little. The sand paths, I feel like you should connect them and take the one by the upper-lefthand corner out. Also, to show a bit more depth in your map, you should add another layer of the mountain or make a crater. It could actually look very nice if you do it right.

Overall: I think you have a good thing going for this map. With a bit more improvements, it can only get better. Final rating: 5/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back