• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
This is a map for my upcomming Mod/Hack.

Name: Pokemon Dreamworld
Map: Route 2
ROM: Fire Red
Comments: I really liked this one. See the attachments to see the map.

My Rate
Spoiler:

My Map
Name: Unnamed Hack
Map: Empire Isle Port
ROM: Firered
Comments: Urm, basically you come off the boat at the port, come out and venture you way north into a small village. First map I've made in over half a year, found an old ROM of mine with nice palette changes and used that.

Attachments

• Empire Isle Port.png
    Empire Isle Port.png
    30 KB · Views: 155

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years

You need to work on this map alot more; all it has is ground, trees and grass all placed in a square-like manner. I'm not going to lie - it is boring to look and play through that map. You can't have grass all over it, getting through all those battles would be tedious. Its shape is square; I think it needs to have some kind of better pathways, less grass & more special "twists" like flowers (e.g.)

Here's my map; I whipped this stuff after nearly 2 months of break, and I finally found the inspiration to continue my work onto my hack.

Hack Name: Pokemon Aegis
Map: Velonoth Hills
Credits: Kyledove, (!) zein (!), scarex, redex, Alistair and myself
Spoiler:

I've seen a few of your maps and you're a great mapper. You're maps always look delicious, I want to eat them ^^

Apart from 1 maybe 2 tile errors I won't be talking about this map graphically seeing as, well I just really like it.
Spoiler:

So instead, I want to talk about it's playability.
Because there's something that bothers me...

The amount of small passages in the path of the map. I always see route maps as a path or multiple paths that a player must follow to get to a new area. Paths should be difficult and varied, so that the player isn't bored. This is done by turns, wild grass, trainers, obstacles... whatever. However use too much and a route becomes tedious and irritating. Another thing that makes a route irritating, is if it's hard to navigate through. If you bump into a side every step it's annoying to walk through. You have a lot of these narrow 'passages' in your route where there's only 1-2 movement blocks to get past. So maybe you want to open it up more? Another thing that causes bumping is the small 'holes' at the side of the path. These are caused by natural placement of trees and small trees. Players easily walk into these holes also causing the bump issue, because they have to walk out of them again.

It's not absolutely necessary to take these things out, but I do think that it makes playing the map more fun. It may also seem nitpicky, but it's all I could think of, because unlike swiftsign I quite like the large diversity of trees and grass + the puddles :p

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
Years
My Map
Name: Unnamed Hack
Map: Empire Isle Port
ROM: Firered
Comments: Urm, basically you come off the boat at the port, come out and venture you way north into a small village. First map I've made in over half a year, found an old ROM of mine with nice palette changes and used that.

My Rating:
Spoiler:

My Map
Map Name: AGUIL REGION
Name: Pokemon Sunray
ROM: Was Emerald, now to be FireRed
Comments: I suspect the navigable area may be too tall/wide, but I'm having trouble deciding what to remove. The region is based on a real-world area, if you can guess it then I'm doing it right. This map is the 2nd (lower) of two regions planned for Sunray. The long, vertical city at the bottom left houses the Pokemon League; apart from them there are only 3 official gyms in this region, and several unofficial ones.
Any advice on any aspect of anything is greatly appreciated.
A list of town/city names for the curious:
Spoiler:

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
My Rating:
My Map
Map Name: AGUIL REGION
Name: Pokemon Sunray
ROM: Was Emerald, now to be FireRed
Comments: I suspect the navigable area may be too tall/wide, but I'm having trouble deciding what to remove. The region is based on a real-world area, if you can guess it then I'm doing it right. This map is the 2nd (lower) of two regions planned for Sunray. The long, vertical city at the bottom left houses the Pokemon League; apart from them there are only 3 official gyms in this region, and several unofficial ones.
Any advice on any aspect of anything is greatly appreciated.
A list of town/city names for the curious:
[/SPOILER]

Rating: 8

Reason: Looks good, my only problem iwith it is the north east, looks a bit crowded, not much too much a deal imo, but I don't see how it's connected to the other routes. Was this an acident or do you have a plan for getting trainers across? Likewise with the south west, how do you get there?
Suggestions: Make sure everything is connected, or maybe explain how one can get there.

Mine

Map Name: Knothole Village

Map Game: Firered

Comments: Starting town for the game. I'm planing on upgrading the tiles and maybe even spliting the map up. I think I could still add a few things, but what do you folks think?

Last edited:

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
Years
Rating: 8

Reason: Looks good, my only problem iwith it is the north east, looks a bit crowded, not much too much a deal imo, but I don't see how it's connected to the other routes. Was this an acident or do you have a plan for getting trainers across? Likewise with the south west, how do you get there?
Suggestions: Make sure everything is connected, or maybe explain how one can get there.

Mine

Map Name: Knothole Village

Comments: Starting town for the game. I'm planing on upgrading the tiles and maybe even spliting the map up. I think I could still add a few things, but what do you folks think?

About mine:
Spoiler:

About yours:
Spoiler:

My new map:
Spoiler:

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
Years
My new map:
Spoiler:

Rating:
Spoiler:

My map:
Ruby, just mapping practice.
Default tiles so credit to Nintendo.
I think this is a bit plain somehow, but I'm not sure what to add. I've decided skinny trees are not what it needs.
Oh and the selected person is the only one which isn't a trainer. She's just looking at a rock for no real reason, would probably have an event of some sort if this was going to be used.

29x897c.jpg

Edit 2 days later: This place has really slowed down...

Last edited:

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
Years
Spoiler:

Pros:
- good number of trainers, doesn't seem too empty
- I like how it's mountainous and forested at the same time, it's cool the way it slopes up to the right

Cons:
- it seems a little too samey; maybe add some possible double battles or something?
- some of the tree shadows are a bit weird
- in my opinion it's too twisty, I think it's a mistake to not add some ledges to go down on the way back rather than traipsing through the grass every time, especially around all those trees. I would remove some of them, but that's just my personal preference

Recommendations:
- maybe make a grassy shortcut that avoids some of the trainers?
- maybe remove a few of the trees, make it less about colliding into things and more about battling (including double battles?)

Rating:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
My map:
Ruby, just mapping practice.
Default tiles so credit to Nintendo.
I think this is a bit plain somehow, but I'm not sure what to add. I've decided skinny trees are not what it needs.
Oh and the selected person is the only one which isn't a trainer. She's just looking at a rock for no real reason, would probably have an event of some sort if this was going to be used.

29x897c.jpg

I actually really like this map, which is strange because I absolutely hate Ruby tiles.

You've varied the trees well, although the shadows could do with fixing, perhaps there could be a bit more variety though (smaller trees, bushes?).

The only irk I have with this map is there is a bit of one-tile pathways going on, such as by the caves and the stairs. Open those areas up a bit though and I think it's a very playable map.

Overall I'd give it an 8/10, practically perfect if you tweak things here and there. Great for a first map!

My map:

Map Name: Sander Docks

Map Game: My hack, Pokémon: Lost City (Fire Red base)

Comments: First 'large' town in the game, has two boat docks (Which were pain in the *** tiles to insert)

Spoiler:

Chiar

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 5, 2014
My map:

Map Name: Sander Docks

Map Game: My hack, Pokémon: Lost City (Fire Red base)

Comments: First 'large' town in the game, has two boat docks (Which were pain in the *** tiles to insert)

Spoiler:
Review: A pretty nice map. I can't spot tile errors, but you might have problems with the border blocks because of the open ocean, unless the water is un-"surf"able. I like the placement of the houses, trees and the beach.
Rating: 9/10.
~~~
So, I came back here just to post one of the bunch of maps I have made in my spare time.
Map Name: Hovas City
Base: Emerald
Description: A medium-sized city near a huge forest and a bay.
Spoiler:

Years
So, I came back here just to post one of the bunch of maps I have made in my spare time.
Map Name: Hovas City
Base: Emerald
Description: A medium-sized city near a huge forest and a bay.
Spoiler:

If I'm honest, I really like the concept of this map's layout. It looks quite nice and reminds me of a Mauville City styled city.

The only problems I really have is in the positioning of the entrance on the left and the paths. For the former, it's in an inconvenient place: make the entrance a few tiles lower to line up with those blue houses at the bottom.

For the paths, I'd make them more square, as remember they are manmade. I'd also make it so they go to all places of interest - lead it to the museum, connect it to the bottom exit, etc. You could also do with putting the flowers in clusters, and maybe add some bushes. That's about it though, nice map, just needs a bit of refining. :D If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 7/10. =D

***​

Name: Dunsparce Valley
Base: FireRed
Map:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
Name: Dunsparce Valley
Map:
Spoiler:

A nice route.
It's a surf route without it having to be stuck in the middle of the ocean. I like the concept.
I notice one tiling error on the small cave-area in the top left.

Name: Rot Wood Forest
Map:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
A nice route.
It's a surf route without it having to be stuck in the middle of the ocean. I like the concept.

Map:
Spoiler:

A good map, but it needs more open spaces. Think about a real forest; it's not all one path, but intersecting paths and open areas as well.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
A nice route.

Map:
Spoiler:

7.5/10, while I am digging your positioning of the trees, the grass seems to be too random. Which random grass is not typical in a pokemon game, at least with the style of mapping which seems to be conveyed elsewhere in your map. Other than that I am liking your placement. On a side note I like your tree tiles as well :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
A nice route.

Map:
Spoiler:

Forests usually don't have just one path that's all of equal length, they have open spaces, and different paths. Rather than just a straight line from one part of the forest to another, add some more paths, so it's more mazelike. Other than that I really like the map, but it looks like it'd be quite annoying to have to get through all that wild grass. >_<
8/10
----------------------

Name: Azure Town
Base: FR
Comments: Today I decided to remake a map from my hack which I really didn't like, and I think it turned out all right. Suggestions?
Map:
Spoiler:

credits to zein, WesleyFG, XDinky, lalo0101.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Name: Azure Town
Comments: Today I decided to remake a map from my hack which I really didn't like, and I think it turned out all right. Suggestions?
Map:
Spoiler:

credits to zein, WesleyFG, XDinky, lalo0101.

The only thing I don't like about this map is the sign near the top-right house, how it's not near the path at all.

Tree placement is good, it's in keeping with your style. The Gym(?) tiles look a bit off to me, but the house tiles go nicely.

9.5/10. Practically perfect, and great play-ability.

Name: Un-named.
Comments: A small village in an upcoming hack, I wanted to mess around with the tiles I had made/edited/inserted to see how they look overall.
Map:
Spoiler:

Credits to Zein, chimcharfireworkd, PrinceLegendario (I think that's all?)

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
Let's see how far I can go before I go mentally insane.
Dark pokemon's review:
Name: No Name
ROM: Gold
Comment: My first map ever. This is not a hack, I'm just using this rom to improve my mapping skills to make a quality hack.
Map:
Spoiler:
Simply enough, the only thing I could say against this map is that it's beyond too open. You said it's your first map, and unless you intend on hacking the G/S/C games, I'd recommend mapping on Fire Red or Ruby. But, yeah, it's incredibly open. You can use the trees throughout the map to make it feel much more "closed," y'know? It'd probably help make that sign in the middle of the whole thing feel less out of place. Also, the path that you're using is incredibly wide. In a way, this gives the player a feeling of emptiness and can leave them bored. Also, all the trees are incredibly straight, leaving it to give it a man-made feeling. Unless the trees are within the city, they shouldn't be that straight for nature is random, and that randomness looks beautiful. I do believe Neti has a tutorial on natural mapping in the tutorials section. I don't have much else to say about this map. Final rating: 2/10
Ray Maverick's review:

Hack Name: Pokemon Aegis
Map: Velonoth Hills
Credits: Kyledove, (!) zein (!), scarex, redex, Alistair and myself
Spoiler:
There's really nothing I can say about this map(other than the mountain issue that was already mentioned). It is very nice, very natural looking. However, I feel like the kiosk type thing by the hatchet and stack of logs in the middle seems very out of place. It looks like it belongs in a marketplace instead of the middle of a wild route. But, I do like this map very much. Great job. Final rating: 8/10
~Poke~'s review:
Rating:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
After all that, I've got a very loose grip on my sanity. But, JUST enough to post my own map.
Name: Tetaken valley
Base: Fire Red
Comments: I attempted a fairly big map in order to get back in the swing of mapping. So, feel free to give all comments/criticisms/praise/brutality that you'd like. I'd love to know where you feel I can improve.
Credits: Game Freak
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Interesting.
Wonderful map. Very wild looking, yet uniform and not confusing. My only gripe is the lack of tiles that show a transition between grass and mountain when they're on the same level. Other than that, well made.

Also, my forest looks man made because it is man made. The forest was carved out for the house and arches, but grass is starting to over grow the place.

Just sayin'

Name: No current name. (suggestions welcome)
Comments: The gate blocking the building opens after an event, the tiles get replaced.
Credits: So many people but mostly these guys
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=190748

Spoiler:

firekoopa

Combat the Infinite
Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2020
Interesting.
Wonderful map. Very wild looking, yet uniform and not confusing. My only gripe is the lack of tiles that show a transition between grass and mountain when they're on the same level. Other than that, well made.

Also, my forest looks man made because it is man made. The forest was carved out for the house and arches, but grass is starting to over grow the place.

Just sayin'

Name: No current name. (suggestions welcome)
Comments: The gate blocking the building opens after an event, the tiles get replaced.
Credits: So many people but mostly these guys
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=190748

Spoiler:
I guess I would give a 7/10

Well, I suppose the map is nice at second thought. At first the squarish trees and the open mountain space bugged me off. The forest I can live with, considering your explanation. Although, they really should look a bit wilder. Not necessarily very wild, but just a bit. The mountain part that can be seen by the player has to be worked on a bit more too. Unless you would want it to be a part of the "man-made" vibe you are trying to create, and with that I would suggest you to make parts of the mountain playable. I also have problem with the building, eg: the ones at the top-left. They are exactly the same and to me it feels just like putting flowers in straight lines.

Generally, I love the atmospheric the map holds, very heart-warming. But that can be simply the Tileset, too... Er... Yeah, and the detail with the benches and the roads are very welcoming too.

Oh, as a final note, the big stone staircase on the right looks kind of weird at the bottom, but that could just be a Tileset problem.

(I mentioned Tilesets twice, yet I do acknowledge that they might not count towards the Review itself.)

---

Map Name: Laboratory Area (although I'm looking for a better alternative)

Comments: Well, after a few years, I finally decided to download Advance Map (it was hell trying to find a working Link) and see what I could come up with. Considering my plans on perhaps making a Pokémon Hack in the future, I thought about designing the starting area. Personally I think I did a better job now.

Another few things you need to know. This map is not necessarily a town nor a route. Something in between, shall I say. It's a laboratory that's placed in the wild to study wild Pokémon in their natural habitat. That's why it's a wild mess. Most of the grass is inaccessible, but there is that little patch where you need Surf to get to. I plan on putting some very rare Pokémon there for those who pay a little bit attention.

I plan on having a lot of of invisible items on the ground as for the "clumsy Researchers".

As a final note, the stones were artificially placed to drive away ships and in process contaminate the water.

Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Tiannia

That weird chick.
Years
Mapshot:

Spoiler:

First of all, I love the concept of this map, I like how you implemented both town and route features, without actually placing grass in every single little space on your map. Good job.
The grass placement is good, and I think the houses are placed well too. But there are also a few little things I'm not overly fussed about. The flowers, for one thing. I know you said that this place is overgrown and stuff, but if you narrow it down a little it would look better imo. That's about it actually, I quite like this map. :)
Rate: 7.5/10

And here you go guys, this is mine:
Spoiler:

This is Alusru Town, aka The starter town for the protagonist. Professor Oak currently resides here, since he heard about sights of Pokemon with different colours here. One of your rivals lives here too.

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
First of all, I love the concept of this map, I like how you implemented both town and route features, without actually placing grass in every single little space on your map. Good job.
The grass placement is good, and I think the houses are placed well too. But there are also a few little things I'm not overly fussed about. The flowers, for one thing. I know you said that this place is overgrown and stuff, but if you narrow it down a little it would look better imo. That's about it actually, I quite like this map. :)
Rate: 7.5/10

And here you go guys, this is mine:
Spoiler:

This is Alusru Town, aka The starter town for the protagonist. Professor Oak currently resides here, since he heard about sights of Pokemon with different colours here. One of your rivals lives here too.

Alright, time to rate a map.
First off,It's an okay beginner map (i'm assuming your a beginner since they all have similar looking maps), everyone's problem when starting off is that they try to make maps symmetrical and less "natural."Your houses are all placed in a line, try to place the houses more random, same goes for trees and dirt roads,instead of having the whole dirt road connected, try breaking it up.Also, I noticed you left a lot of empty grass space between the houses, add some trees around it, houses are never in plain ground with no tree or any vegetable type tile.

I haven't posted a map in quite a while, so might as well post one while i'm here:
Map Name:Xinjen Town
ROM base: Firered
Comments:some tiles i'm working on for a ROM base,This is just a test map.
Spoiler:

EDIT:700th poster on this thread. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back