• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I didn't like him/her!"

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Over the years of Pokémon was there a particular NPC you didn't enjoy? Spanning from Gen 1 to Gen 5 what NPC did you cringe at the sight of? This includes Trainers, Rivals, Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, Champions, anyone you had absolutely no control over. Vent your frustration about those who made you want to hit the switch off your hand-held.

Last edited:

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
Probably bug-catchers and swimmers. They pop up when you're just chillin', surfing around or running about, and then they arrogantly display their ****ty pokemon thinking they can beat you.

Oh, and zubats.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm not a fan of Barry. I like his design, but I don't like his dumb "I'll fine you a million!" sort of catch phrase...it's rather annoying.

I really don't like Cynthia. I feel like we're her errand slave. I know that in making us do these errands, she's essentially giving us the key to plot progressing in the game, but it's still rather annoying.

Skyla is meh too. I feel like she's just there for fanservice, plus she's not even difficult at all. I've had more trouble with Falkner and Winona than her. I know that's more of a knock on her design and ability and not her character, but still.

Also, please remember this is game only, guys. :) I know the OP made that clear and no one's gone off topic yet, but I know there's gonna be that one person. Don't be that one. ;)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I generally don't hate npcs. (maybe slightly dislike sometimes) I mean the pokemon series makes absolutely no effort to make it's characters offensive.

If I absolutely must say someone then I guess I would say Looker because he was a bit annoying in Pokemon Platinum. Second would probably be Hugh, he's my least favourite rival. He was too one dimensional....you only ever really saw him resenting Team Plasma.

edit: I actually liked Barry's phrases like "I'll fine you a million". It felt kinda unscripted and natural, like something a friend would actually shout at you to mess around.

Pokedude3012

Slayer of Milotics
Years
Probably bug-catchers and swimmers. They pop up when you're just chillin', surfing around or running about, and then they arrogantly display their ****ty pokemon thinking they can beat you.

Oh, and zubats.

My thoughts exactly. They are just always there, being so annoying in their misplaced arrogance, while they just ruin your day. Oh, tentacools are pretty annoying too.

Years
Barry had to be my least favorite of all the rivals that we've seen. Considering the short attention span that he has, I find it hard to believe that he's such a competent Pokemon trainer- he seems like the type that would get bored of training after a week.

Another group that irritates me are those random trainers that are lurking off the screen, and want to battle the very second you step in their line of vision. Sure, I was going to battle you anyway, but you wouldn't go running up to a random person 20-30 feet away just for a battle.

Other than that, though, I can't think of any "main" characters that I've really got a problem with.

T!M

Years
My turn! My turn! :)

N and Iris are my number one enemies. I hate their attitudes and they were outstandingly annoying in-game. N's redemption was not a convincing one and after he put me through so much crap you just tell me that you've changed and fly off on your Zerkrom, yeah no, I ain't buying it. I still don't like him. Iris I've hated since I saw her in the anime and it's carried over to the games.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Iris, but my reason for it has little to do with the actual series. It's because of her high chances of appearing in the next Super Smash Bros. title taking the role as the female trainer, alongside with Newtwo, due to her role in the anime, which should've belonged to Hilda, her age being around the same as Red's, her Axew's popularity, her potential unqiue battle style due to her wild girl status, and her promotion to being champion in BW2. Because of this and the fact that Pokemon gets its reps based on the anime, I'll never see any of my favorite female trainers around Red's age (May, Dawn, and Lyra) nor hear their sweet voices interact with deeper voices like Fox in that game ever.

Reactions: T!M

Saronai

PKMN Breeder
Years
I haven't played through any of the games yet, but dabbled in all since Emerald (and almost done with Emerald now that I've got my butt in gear). Sooooo...I don't know a whole lot of these characters really.

I've seen Iris, she's making the list already...her hairstyle is super-weird in the anime (my son watches it, so therefore I watches it :) )

I'd have to say, even the annoying NPCs will have a hard time topping my annoyance at the Soulsilver female PC. No offense to anyone who disagrees but I HATE her hair just as much as Iris' and her hat sucks too. Having to wear pink I can stomach, but the hat makes me cringe. Unfortunately, because I like playing a girl since I am a girl, this is the character I HAVE to play when I get around to Soulsilver. Worst part about it for me is that I absolutely love that your lead pokemon follows you everywhere <3 I wish they were all like that...and yet it's ruined by having a horrible character design forced on me.

So yeah, I haven't even purchased my own copy of SS because of that reason, my son's just gonna let me borrow his cartridge when I get there.

I feel so shallow now lol.

Reactions: T!M

T!M

Years
I haven't played through any of the games yet, but dabbled in all since Emerald (and almost done with Emerald now that I've got my butt in gear). Sooooo...I don't know a whole lot of these characters really.

I've seen Iris, she's making the list already...her hairstyle is super-weird in the anime (my son watches it, so therefore I watches it :) )

I'd have to say, even the annoying NPCs will have a hard time topping my annoyance at the Soulsilver female PC. No offense to anyone who disagrees but I HATE her hair just as much as Iris' and her hat sucks too. Having to wear pink I can stomach, but the hat makes me cringe. Unfortunately, because I like playing a girl since I am a girl, this is the character I HAVE to play when I get around to Soulsilver. Worst part about it for me is that I absolutely love that your lead pokemon follows you everywhere <3 I wish they were all like that...and yet it's ruined by having a horrible character design forced on me.

So yeah, I haven't even purchased my own copy of SS because of that reason, my son's just gonna let me borrow his cartridge when I get there.

I feel so shallow now lol.

No, NO! I'm going off topic for this one. But that's secretly (but not so much anymore) one of the primary reasons I absolutely DESPISE Iris. Her hair is sooooo bad. Right on, sister! I'm glad there are some people out there who hate her for her hair as well. Alright... Sorry. Carry on, folks.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Aw, no one's mentioned that one Fisherman (typically named Andrew!) with the full team of Magikarp? I hate when I'm forced into a battle with him. A waste of PP for little experience.

Haha, that seems so little compared to everyone else, but there's really no other NPC that bothered me that much! Though Whitney is kind of a pain to see, especially since after the difficult battle against her you have to wait for her to finish crying before you get your well-earned badge.

T!M

Years
Aw, no one's mentioned that one Fisherman (typically named Andrew!) with the full team of Magikarp? I hate when I'm forced into a battle with him. A waste of PP for little experience.

Haha, that seems so little compared to everyone else, but there's really no other NPC that bothered me that much! Though Whitney is kind of a pain to see, especially since after the difficult battle against her you have to wait for her to finish crying before you get your well-earned badge.

Speaking of those who withhold your badges upon your victory. Let's not forget about Claire. She is the epitome of "a sore loser". You beat her, she can't believe it, then runs to the Dragon Master. I don't feel that it's fair after beating down her Dragon team, I'm forced to play hide-and-seek. She only exacerbated my hatred for every Dragon trainer to ever exist.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Swimmers! They were the bane of my existence when I just wanted to go to Cianwood City! Terrible things.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
I HATE, absolutely hate the rivals. They keep challenging me after I win and win and win. Like why won't they get a move on and understand that they will never defeat me!

Back