• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Religious Education be Mandatory in Schools?

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
I think no because there would be alot of controversy between parents as well as teachers of a different religion. For example, if they taught Christian religion at a public school, it is possible Jewish or those who belong to no religion there that could be offended. I would love that because I am Catholic, but there would be too much controversy.

droomph

weeb
Years

I just bolded the part in your statement that's concerning. By what basis do you determine which religion is a "fake" one? I guarantee you, at the time, it was just as real and just as widely practised as Christianity is today. Would you like to take a shot also at the Norwegians too for having dared worshipped Odin and Thor and the other Norse gods? What about Muslims today, are they practising a "fake" religion also?

While you've demonstrated you learned much during your religious studies, by your comments, you've also demonstrated that you hold other religions in contempt, and are more then willing to express that contempt.

Which leads me to ask, just what is it that you were learning when you took religious studies? It certainly wasn't tolerance.

This is why I would not want my child to attend such a class. Too many people willing to condemn others for practising the wrong religion, or for not practising any religion at all.
It's not as much as I hate them than what I think about it. Just because I think it's fake doesn't mean I have much prejudice against them. Now, if I had said "dumb religion" then that would have some problems to it.

I think Islam is fake and wouldn't be Muslim myself, but I don't think that they are teaching a religion that is promoting violence and thus will be more mellow and less suspicious around them. That is the only point of these Religious classes - to teach tolerance.

I think no because there would be alot of controversy between parents as well as teachers of a different religion. For example, if they taught Christian religion at a public school, it is possible Jewish or those who belong to no religion there that could be offended. I would love that because I am Catholic, but there would be too much controversy.
I think you're misunderstanding something - this teaches all religions, not just one. And they don't preach, they teach.

Last edited:
Years
It's not as much as I hate them than what I think about it. Just because I think it's fake doesn't mean I have much prejudice against them. Now, if I had said "dumb religion" then that would have some problems to it.

I think Islam is fake and wouldn't be Muslim myself, but I don't think that they are teaching a religion that is promoting violence and thus will be more mellow and less suspicious around them. That is the only point of these Religious classes - to teach tolerance.

Using fake there makes it seem like you don't think that there are actually people who follow that religion and that the religion's philosophy has never existed, which is very, very incorrect, as the religion's philosophy has to exist in order for anyone to be a follower of that religion. A much better, less malicious word to use to describe how you feel about those is to say that they are incorrect.

Anyway, back on the topic, I do think educating individuals about all the major religions as well as educating them about the prevalent philosophies of the non-religious should be compulsory, as this is a subject where even if you're cheating your way through the class, you may glean just enough from the notes to actually have a decent understanding of where someone of another religion is coming from.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016

Calling a religion fake IS being prejudicial.

I do not believe in a God, am an Atheist, but I would not call any religion a fake one. I simply do not believe in a deity of any kind. Christianity is a genuine religion. Islam is a genuine religion. Wicca is a genuine religion. None of them are fake. They are all real, they all exist, and they are all practiced by many. By calling them fake you insult the followers of those religions.

A better way to describe your feelings about other religions is to say that you do not agree with them, which is accurate and non-prejudicial.

As I said, you learned much about the particulars of certain religions, but what you didn't learn obviously was respect for them.

This is a danger when dealing with religion and is precisely why it should not be made mandatory in schools. Too many people unwilling to show respect for others whose beliefs differ from their own.

WillPowerPedro

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
I think you're misunderstanding something - this teaches all religions, not just one. And they don't preach, they teach.

But still, don't think some people would be offended? It would be unlikely, but who knows how someone could react to their children learning a completely different religion. I mean, what if their kid got into the religion? Once again, super unlikely, but possible.

And at my school, we learned religions and how they work, we learned Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
droomph said:
Maybe it's because of the "Religious" in the class name, but if you think about it, what it is, is basically teaching tolerance. And maybe in Australia your core principles are focused on only allowing one group of people to dominate (hey, I don't live there okay) but I'm positive that at least the US has a policy in the Constitution that explicitly gives religious freedom and tolerance as one of its core values of America. So if it's in the core values, it should be in the core cirriculum as well. After all, weren't we the most open country in the world at one point? We should strive to maintain that position, and since the world is opening up, it's not just the US now - it's the whole world that should teach tolerance in school.

I believe that inherent within the 'freedom of religion' clause is 'freedom from religion'. If people don't want to learn about religions they shouldn't be forced to as part of a core curriculum. I don't support that. Nor do I support the hipocrisy of a nation claiming to promote such 'freedom' enforcing its core values - no matter what they may be - on its student populace.

Your point about teaching tolerance is well-received, though. Even then, I don't support a compulsory course in something that isn't necessary for survival in the world, but supposing I did, there are far better ways of teaching tolerance than through learning about religion. Why not a course on different cultures in general? It could absolutely include religion, but it's quite short-sighted to focus on exclusively religion when there are so many other aspects of different cultures that students could be learning to 'tolerate'.

droomph said:
Was I particularly happy to learn about a fake religion? No. But I got over it, and I'm still a Christian, not some Olympia-worshipping freak.
droomph said:
Just because I think it's fake doesn't mean I have much prejudice against them. Now, if I had said "dumb religion" then that would have some problems to it.

For somebody so gung-ho on the idea of teaching religious tolerance, you certainly aren't showing a lot of it yourself. I'm not even religious and I'm beyond offended on behalf of the 'Olympia-worshipping freaks'.

Lets do a hypothetical: say a Wiccan posted in this thread and said, "I was taught about Christianity last year. Was I particularly happy to learn about a fake religion? No. But I got over it, and I'm still a Wiccan, not some Jesus-worshipping freak."

How would that make you feel?

droomph

weeb
Years
I would be fine with it. It's their view of the world, after all.

Now if they started to reject them and started to kill them just because they were Christian and all that good stuff, I would definitely have a problem with that. But I don't, and won't, have a say on someone's opinions. That is what I'm trying to get at - that religious education won't make you consider any religion any more or less acceptable to you, but it will make you know that they're not all going to blow up planes and stuff.

Calling a religion fake IS being prejudicial.

I do not believe in a God, am an Atheist, but I would not call any religion a fake one. I simply do not believe in a deity of any kind. Christianity is a genuine religion. Islam is a genuine religion. Wicca is a genuine religion. None of them are fake. They are all real, they all exist, and they are all practiced by many. By calling them fake you insult the followers of those religions.

A better way to describe your feelings about other religions is to say that you do not agree with them, which is accurate and non-prejudicial.

As I said, you learned much about the particulars of certain religions, but what you didn't learn obviously was respect for them.

This is a danger when dealing with religion and is precisely why it should not be made mandatory in schools. Too many people unwilling to show respect for others whose beliefs differ from their own.
I'm not preventing them from being Muslims, or Wiccans, or whatever, right? I may disagree vehemently of what you say, but I will forever defend your right to say it. Now, you should be able to disagree vehemently with what I say, but you should allow me to say whatever I feel is the case. And I say that it is the case because that is my truth, and may not be yours. All other religions are fake to me, that is a fact. I have facts that prove it to me, and may not be true to you. However, me being prejudicial to them is not a fact. I will look down on you, but not disallow you from anything I, or any law-abiding individual, do. It's the same as gay marriage, abortion, and all those other issues involving personal opinions. That is the basis of tolerance. Tolerance means allowing people to have their own opinions, not accepting all opinions. That is what I have learned during my musings at the Christian religion.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I feel like you all are being a little hard on droomph here. Basically he said something that was mistook as something else. He's clarified that he doesn't mean the religions don't exist, just that he doesn't agree with them (and thus in his opinion the gods are fake), and yet you all are jumping all over him for it.

Pedro, what's wrong with a child wanting to be a religion different from their parents? Why is that a bad thing and something we should be afraid of?

WillPowerPedro

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
Pedro, what's wrong with a child wanting to be a religion different from their parents? Why is that a bad thing and something we should be afraid of?

Well. Like what I mean is... It is hard to explain. Like what if a parent kept their kid away from religion because of controversial reasons and their kids start to practice that religion? I am not really sure how to explain. What is your opinion on the matter?

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Well. Like what I mean is... It is hard to explain. Like what if a parent kept their kid away from religion because of controversial reasons and their kids start to practice that religion? I am not really sure how to explain. What is your opinion on the matter?

What type of controversial reason do you mean? I do understand your point of view. Like some Christian parents dreading their kids being atheists and vice versa.

droomph

weeb
Years
But still, don't think some people would be offended? It would be unlikely, but who knows how someone could react to their children learning a completely different religion. I mean, what if their kid got into the religion? Once again, super unlikely, but possible.

And at my school, we learned religions and how they work, we learned Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.
The only way that can happen is if they agree with the philosophy and are convicted to learn it. How most households work only one religion is ever described in detail and other religions are deemed as "evil". This is how children of catholic families turn atheist - they find a religion that they believe is true. There is no stopping them - that is their destiny. They deem that to be true, but you have kept the realities away from them. You have done all you could to prevent that from happening, but don't. You're just wasting time and effort by doing that.

This holds true even in Christianity. It is said that if you are here for worldly reasons, that we don't want you here at all, for your own good and to save you lots of time. But if you come back with a desire to learn about Christ, no matter how screwed up you are, you could have given up all hope of salvation and you don't even care, but we will still allow you in.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
No, it absolutely should not be mandatory in the same way that History, Geography and other subjects similar are not mandatory. Mathematics, Science and English Language/Literature should be mandatory only, since these are applicable in everyday life regardless of career choice.

When I was at school, we were forced to take half a GCSE in RE (yeah, how pointless is that?), and I still believe that it was wrong for it to be compulsory. Some people like myself don't believe in the madness that some religions teach, so why should we have to learn about why others do believe in their religions and how this influences the actions they take?

I'm tolerant of those who are religious because I believe that they have the right to believe whatever they want to, as long as they don't attempt to force it onto anyone else. Not because school taught me to be tolerant.

Also, in response to the evolution argument, some aspects of evolution are scientifically factual, so to disregard it as a whole is ignorant, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Should it be mandatory? No-diddly. Should it be available as a class to pick? Sure, why not.

That's my simple take on it lol.

WillPowerPedro

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
What type of controversial reason do you mean?

There is alot of reasons. Such as Islam controversy or bullying. AND LISTEN. I have nothing against the religion (Islam), but others do, that is why I am listening it. Other than that I am not sure. I never really looked into it, but people say controversial reasons and stuff. Sorry if I am not providing all the info you want. I don't know alot on the matter.

Soar

n00b
Years
I dont think it should be mandatory. Maybe they could make it like an elective, or other class. But it shouldn't be forced upon you. I live in the USA so (1) It goes against Freedom of Religion. and (2) It could promote bullying because some kids take it and some kids don't.
But if you really wanted to learn about that, they have private schools for that (at least they have christian private schools)

Years
Does learning about religions in such detail make a person more understanding or help them in any way? Isn't it enough that students are taught religions exist as part of their history and social studies classes? Shouldn't the fact that people are taught to respect others be enough? (I'm asking these questions seriously.)

'Cuz it just seems to me that if you have to go into all this detail just to make sure people aren't going to be prejudiced then you've got some bigger prejudice problem going on that should be dealt with first. I can see how it would help some people because you would teach them "These people don't believe the same things you do, but they're still moral because they still believe." At least I've seen discussions go this way, the "all religions are equal" way. Which I'm not saying is bad, but it does nothing to help stop prejudice against non-religious people or stop intolerance that's based against someone's race or sexuality. For instance, right after 9/11 there were not a small number of people attacked and/or killed because they had darker skin. As I recall most weren't even Muslim.

It just seems kinda secondary on the whole scale of tolerance and/or learning about history/the world. Like, everything you could take away from a class on religions you could get from classes that are already in place.

droomph

weeb
Years
Scarf, we're not talking about having it as a whole seperate class necessarily. We're just saying, should we incorporate that into school?

For example, a few posts back I listed all the religious stuff we had to learn in History in middle school (which was mandatory btw) and I think that is sufficient for a RE class.

Years
I don't believe that Religious Education should be a mandatory class.

If it were to be taught from a completely neutral and un-biased standpoint, though, I would have absolutely no problem to see it as an elective course in either high school or college/university, and I might have even taken it over another Social Studies course like History or Geography. It would be interesting to learn about differences and similarities between different faiths, and as long as it was a course that isn't imposed on someone, it would be a good idea.

droomph

weeb
Years
It's not about whether you believe in it or not. We already do this to some extent anyways (at least California does), so I wouldn't say that we're exactly promoting a "theocracy".

Back