• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed 649 Patch

Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

smilewolfy

pokemon photographer
Years
Don't see why this should change that. The stuff I'm adding isn't in RSE either...

Good stuff :D

Yes, it will overwrite them. In fact, it will overwrite a LOT of stuff, so make sure you keep all your scripts (etc) backed up so you can reinsert them.

I understand that you probably don't want to wait, but you'd be better to if you want to use it.

Eh, well all I'm doing is mapping for now, so it's not like I HAVE to have it so quick, take your time :D then when the best hack ever is released, you will be getting credit :L hmm, I guess I'll also use this time to work on the story, since you can't just get a quick story or anything for a quality hack

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Just wondering where is all these New Pokemon data incorporated in? Is it ranged from lets say offset 0x800000 to 0x900000 or even further than that? how big is it roughly?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
A lot, to be quite frank. The data and routines, so far, take up from 0x71A000 (or wherever the free space starts) to 0x760200 (approximately). The cries take up from 0x800000 through to 0xBD0000 (roughly - and yes, that is B, not eight). The sprites take up less space, but since I plan to remove/replace these anyway, it's not important for now. But for completion's sake, the sprites/pallets take up from 0xDC0000 (roughly) to 0xF20000 (roughly).

Please, PLEASE, read the existing comments before you post. I could accept it if this post was on a different page - but it's not.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Please, PLEASE, read the existing comments before you post. I could accept it if this post was on a different page - but it's not.

Sorry my bad.

thanks for the info will be following this till the end.

keep up the good work.

smilewolfy

pokemon photographer
Years
When you say you can't get the extra pokemon to work in advance map. Are you actually serious about it being impossible to do or will you work on that later on?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
When you say you can't get the extra pokemon to work in advance map. Are you actually serious about it being impossible to do or will you work on that later on?

How can I fix something that I didn't break? I can't work on it for the patch because it's not a problem with the patch, it's a problem with A-Map.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I'm a bit confused here. What exactly did you do to enable every single pokemon in a 3rd gen game without replacing other pokemon? And with what hacking tool? Also, how far does this hack go?

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
This hack doesn't "go" anywhere. It is a patch that will bring all the fancy things from the DS games to our comfy little FireRed ROM so that we can play with the cool new things in our hacks without having to work with DS ROMs themselves. The new Pokemon, items, evolution methods, etc were added by rewriting the parts of the game's code that limit the number of Pokemon available using an ASM compiler and Hex editor.

And as far as the problems with A-Map go, its not a problem with the hack. A-Map just isn't coded to allow more Pokemon than are normally found. If Lu-Ho wants to make an edit to A-Map that allows support for this patch it probably wouldn't be too hard.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
And as far as the problems with A-Map go, its not a problem with the hack. A-Map just isn't coded to allow more Pokemon than are normally found. If Lu-Ho wants to make an edit to A-Map that allows support for this patch it probably wouldn't be too hard.

I actually suggested a way Lu-Ho could add something to the INI of A-Map which would be able to get the number of Pokémon in the ROM based on a set area of the ROM.

I don't know how difficult it would be for him to add that functionality - or if it would be easier (if less pretty) just to have a "Number of Pokémon" in the ini.

Incidentally - this same problem also applies to A-Trainer, and probably a large number of other tools as well, so it's not just A-Map that isn't geared towards supporting this.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
hey, can you make it at all possible to download from any site that doesn't have surveys? Also, I can't visit it as my anti-virus gives this site a malicious rating, and blocks it. Please, I would support you and all, but I don't want to have to give personal info just so i can unlock the download...

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Actually, the linkbucks link links to that address - but I kinda wanted money. Normally, linkbucks isn't an issue, and hey, I get a cent for every gazillion hits or something.
It's not like i'm charging people to use the patch, that'd be extremely cynical, but it's always nice to make a hobby pay. :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Jambo if you can perfect this, it will be one of the best things EVER in the rom hacking community.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
Yeah, I'd imagine there would be a bunch of tools that wouldn't know what to do with the new Pokemon/abilities/moves/items/evo methods (like YAPE) available. But if Gamer2020's tool set has .inis that support the patch it might not be that big of an issue. But hex editors still exist so...

Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
Aweosmo, awesome patch, just a question. Will this increase the number of pokemon boxes?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
No. There simply isn't the memory space available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back