• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen most underrated 3rd gen pokes

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Breloom underrated? It's OU in competitive play these days, is it not? lmao

Anyway, I'll go with Altaria. It's specially pretty bulky and a decent special attacker. More people should use it. It's totally cuddly too. Can't go wrong with an in-game set of Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Fly, and Dragon Claw/Pulse. Good stuff.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Zangoose IMO, most people I know look down on him, but he's fairly quick, has brutal attack and most of all, he learns swords Dance at such an early level.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Plusle and Minun, because Final Fantasy IV.

Actually Plusle and Minun are very useful in terms of double battles. Because of their abilities, they're the least obvious Pikachu clone despite being the same color as Pikachu, even better than Marill (albeit "Pikablu.")

Years
Shiftry is one, it has reasonable stats and a fairly diverse movepool. It may not be as good as some but it is pretty awesome (especially as of Gen V).

Castform because as I have said before it is hugely diverse, doesn't have terrible stats and sunny castform can deal X5 damage with weatherball.

Walrein - It can take a beating, has good typing, good stats and has a pretty decent movepool.

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2015
I would have to disagree with part about Breloom. (It's OU.) And why hasn't anyone said Chimecho?

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
I'm using a Shedinja in Ruby right now, and he's a lot more effective than I thought he'd be. I got him Swords Dance and EV trained his attack, and I'll put him up against many things and they can't even touch him!

I'm also gonna say Masquerain, that guy has saved me a ton with his diverse moveset: Shadow Ball, Water Pulse, Ice Beam, Aerial Ace.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Guys, just because a Pokemon is available in RSE doesn't mean it is a gen III Pokemon. By "underrated 3rd gen Pokemon," it means a Pokemon introduced in generation III. If you're unsure as to whether or not something was introduced in that gen, go to Serebi and check the Hoenn section of their Pokedex. If it's not listed there, it's not a gen III Pokemon and doesn't need a mention in this thread.

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
I think Claydol was underrated. I used to have one and it was somewhere between a wall and and offensive beast, so that's why I think clay solid underrated. I also agree with Slaking.

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2016
In my opinion, Electabuzz was pretty underused from when I played a long time ago.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
For me it's Dusclops. He is such a defensive wall and can take a HUGE amount of damage. He was perfect to stall the opponent, and could be very useful if when he knew will-o-wisp!

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
Breloom underrated? It's OU in competitive play these days, is it not? lmao

Anyway, I'll go with Altaria. It's specially pretty bulky and a decent special attacker. More people should use it. It's totally cuddly too. Can't go wrong with an in-game set of Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Fly, and Dragon Claw/Pulse. Good stuff.
I was going to say the same thing. I also think that Aggron is underrated, its got good stats, and if it weren't for the annoying typing I think it would be used a lot more. I also liked Armaldo a lot, and didn't see it used very much. :(

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Yeah, gotta admit, Castform was pretty cool. Just teach it Sunny Day, Rain Dance or Hail when required and it'll bust.

But other than that, I never really thought these were used much :

Cacturne, Crawdaunt, Shiftry, Sharpedo, Relicanth, Mawile (Fake Tears and Crunch) and... probably Altaria, cuz they thought it was a waste of a Dragon type.

Years
I remember hearing that Tropius is often underrated but it makes such an awesome HM Slave thanks to it learning a lot of HM moves. And its stats aren't all that bad either, pretty balanced in fact.

ProfessorBeeching

Professor Of Fail
Years
I'd definitely say Castform is underappreciated. It's part of why I tried to get as many ribbons for mine as I could, including the Earth Ribbon.

Other pokemon that are underrated in my eyes from my favourite Generation...Chimecho, definitely...I always thought it had blood on it. Hm, there's also Skitty, which is the best of the cat Pokemon, Nuzleaf, and Ludicolo. I don't normally hear much about Ludicolo except in Miror B fan groups. Of course, I'm not suggesting any of these from a competitive standpoint since I don't play competitively.

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
Years
I'd definitely say Pelipper. Everyone is scared of Pelipper because of its 4x weakness to electric type moves, but if you have, i dont know, a swampert it gets much easier. Pelipper has amazing HP and works great if you can avoid electric types
And i taught surf to pelipper so I could keep better moves on Swampert.

ps. if you use swampert use ice beam!!!or blizzard!

Slaking is really brutal. His overall base stats with Attack being 160 makes Whitney's Miltank look like a Magikarp.

Whitney was never really ever a problem for me in all of my silver runs. The last time I played I knocked out all of whitney's team using my HM Slave furret. its was only like lvl 16 or so.

Last edited:
Back