• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: FireRed Pokédex Hacking

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Because DoesntKnowHowToPlay's Tutorial isn't newbie friendly at all.
And there isn't any usable ROM Base either.
In what way is it not newbie friendly? It tells you the address of every table, how big it is, and how to repoint them. It translates all ASM changes to byte changes at specific addresses. It literally gives to someone with zero knowledge of the pokedex and all pokemon species related functions the ability to expand the dex. The most you could say is that there are more steps involved than the typical tutorial, but that's because the sheer number of things involved in the number of pokemon. You could call it tedious, but none of the steps involved require the person reading the tutorial to have advanced knowledge.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
In what way is it not newbie friendly? It tells you the address of every table, how big it is, and how to repoint them. It translates all ASM changes to byte changes at specific addresses. It literally gives to someone with zero knowledge of the pokedex and all pokemon species related functions the ability to expand the dex. The most you could say is that there are more steps involved than the typical tutorial, but that's because the sheer number of things involved in the number of pokemon. You could call it tedious, but none of the steps involved require the person reading the tutorial to have advanced knowledge.

Okay, tedious, that's the word.
Sorry, I have a hard time sometimes, thinking in the correct words to explain myself.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 3, 2017
"At 0xCE91A change the next 4 bytes to 00 00 14 E0. This makes the previously conditional branch into an unconditional branch, which fixes the evolutions."
I changed this, while it does work on normal level up evolutions it doesn't work on stone evolution pokemon.

Anyone know why?

BluRose

blu rass
Years
"At 0xCE91A change the next 4 bytes to 00 00 14 E0. This makes the previously conditional branch into an unconditional branch, which fixes the evolutions."
I changed this, while it does work on normal level up evolutions it doesn't work on stone evolution pokemon.

Anyone know why?
probs because evolution methods have semi-separate routines (a lot of them branching back to level routine), and the item one doesn't
i'll look into it when i get access to a computadora

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday

Anyone know why?

go to 0x126C4D and change the byte there to E0 to make stone evolutions work (doesnt figured that out)

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2023

Anyone know why?

Change 0x126C4D from $D9 to $E0. This makes the evolution stone branch unconditional. -ShaneM

EDIT: Someone apparently beat me to it...I should refresh my screen more often. Anyway, yeah the guy above me is correct.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 3, 2017
Thanks guys it worked with no issues.

Are there other bytes I need to change for different evolution methods? (Happiness, etc.)

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2023
Thanks guys it worked with no issues.

Are there other bytes I need to change for different evolution methods? (Happiness, etc.)

Not that I'm aware of. Jambo51's fix should have corrected that. If you run across an issue, just bring it my way. -ShaneM

Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2024
Help with the evolutions.

Evolutions work without National Dex:
Spoiler:

This change works to a certain point, i have made a new evolution item (A link cable), to evolve traded pokemon, works like a normal evolution stone, and it can't evolve, for example, my seadra, hapiness works, but at least a new item doesn't...

And the item works if it's a kadabra evolving to alakazam for example.

Is there a possible fix with this or i need to find a new method?

I'm silly, saw the solution above :D, it's just change 0x126C4D from $D9 to $E0.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Dec 16, 2023
Can you give me a new link for the jpan save block patch? I think the link isnt working

Back