• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: DS Map Graphics Editor

Do you want Platinum, HG/SS and BW first Map for the first release?

• Yes

Votes: 396 90.8%
  • No, later

Votes: 40 9.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2013
this is realy cool man good job!!

when do you think the release i comming because i can't wait ainymore :P

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Thanks for the list!

For the values, yes, but that's hard to find.
I think it's not in land_data but in a other file...

If i can find weather values, i can find music values, and other things...

Well... if it isn't in land_data... I guess it's in either mapmatrix (where the warps are located, I think), eventdata (which I don't have a clue exactly what it has), or script (which might be the location of the ingame scripts).

I would try eventdata first.

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
PPRE is crap for eventing. Everyone wants a useable one, you can make the best.

Also, can you do map windows? like in photoshop, you can have several pictures at once. This way, you could add warps, c+p events AND tackle two maps at once. I suggest you do it.

Platinum Lucario

Years
What I've noticed about the differences of the 4th and 5th generation... is that the field data and all that is located in different areas... and defenantly uses different engines from each other.

In the 4th generation... the fielddata has:
areadata (for land model data and texture data)
build_model (for structure model data)
encountdata (for wild Pokémon encounter offsets)
eventdata (for the locations of the warps, scripts, triggers, and people)
land_data (for the whole map, including normal maps, special maps and empty maps with it's locations of structure models, land models and textures)
mapmatrix (used for map scripts)
maptable (lists the names of all the maps)
mm_list (corrects the use of moving structure model frames to use correct models for the structure model movements)
pokemon_trade (for trading Pokémon to the correct Pokémon)
script (contains the data for the scripts, warps, triggers and people offsets)

As for the 5th generation contains everything in one file for a map grouping, so it seems.
It might be easier to create a map editor for the 5th generation than the 4th, but it's best if the 4th generation map editor gets done first.
As the 5th generation has folders listed from 0-9 and files listed from 0-9.

Platinum Lucario

Years

Oh cool, yay! I can't believe we're getting closer already to being able edit Pokémon Diamond more easily. It seems like the editor uses a 2D interface to edit the maps. But if we're going for a 5th generation map editing interface, it would have to be in full 3D.
Which makes me think... since the 5th generation has mapping style similar to the 3rd generation with 4th generation 3D mapping style thrown into the mix, as the 5th generation is so similar to the 3rd in it's 'not going outside the boundries' style.

Platinum Lucario

Years
Awesome tool I can't wait to the release but I think it's hard to edit the map

It would be hard at first, but we can all try to attempt to edit the map and all that. That is if we get used to editing a map via a hex editor. The problem is... it takes quite a lot of time. Mainly the reason that expert ROM Hackers use tools... is mainly for faster development.

But yes... for the 4th and 5th generation... I'm sure it would take a while to learn how to know where the values for the possitioning and the model itself. I'm sure alot of beginners would be interested in relying on the tools to edit the games... because they're new to ROM Hacking and they're learning. Which I do understand of course. ^^'

A great map editor for the 4th generation sure would be a great thing to see... and then we'd finally have conquered the 4th generation's mapping. Then we'd have the 5th generation's 3D editing interface, which we'd definately need to conquer. What I've realized... is that the DS's mapping engine can't really be changed very much... only to a certain extent.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
Glad to see Di/Pe/Pl getting hacked. I always look at what could be done when I play the game. Like a remake of Pokemon Emerald :)

Platinum Lucario

Years
Glad to see Di/Pe/Pl getting hacked. I always look at what could be done when I play the game. Like a remake of Pokemon Emerald :)

Yeah, as we're always seeing more improvements on hacking the Nintendo DS games. I'm possitive that it will continue to improve even more, so people will be able to bring their imagination to life, and produce the 3D objects and even change alot of things in a game. And with ROM Hacking... anything's possible with editing game. So it doesn't matter what the console is... as long as we've got a ROM, we'll be able to research and edit it.

We can all help... and learn how to edit a ROM, and then create a program that will indeed edit stuff in the game. Like for instance... a map editor getting made for the 4th generation. And yes, it's not like it's hard or anything... but it can be complicated and can take quite a long time to do. Because you have to research the ROM while editing the hex to see what it does and all that, then once you've learned, then you make the program allowing to edit it, and also... it has to read the content that is compressed in the NDS file. Using Cristal Tile 2 (even though it's in Chinese), you can click the Nintendo DS icon, it's on the same row as new file, open file excetra, just look for what looks like a Nintendo DS and once you've clicked on it, you'll see what there is in the contents, so it'll make life a bit easier when looking for files to edit and stuff.

If you're wait for a map editor... and you still want that urge to edit an NDS file... it's always best to give it a try. ;)
Even if I haven't yet... I'm sure to try and learn how to hex edit and understand the values of the objects and stuff, once I do learn how to do it, I'm sure I might be able to create my map editor for the fifth generation, aww yeah! :)

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
Years

I think I might make a HG/SS hack, called: Pokemon AquaBlue or ThunderYellow. But I first want to make some other hacks. I'm now making Pokemon Koen Version, which is a Diamond hack. Still waiting for the map editor :D

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2022
There's so much progress that has been made, and while I wasn't looking he snuck in Black/White compatibility :shocked:

At the rate this is going it won't be long before AdvanceMap has serious competition on its hands (as it's still out of public hands and I assume it's still in its earliest stages). The only problems that MIGHT arise are some maps in Generation 4 - many interiors still rely on the old Generation 3 tiling system (although I assume that can be changed since beta shots showed 3D interiors in Generation 4)

Platinum Lucario

Years
There's so much progress that has been made, and while I wasn't looking he snuck in Black/White compatibility :shocked:

At the rate this is going it won't be long before AdvanceMap has serious competition on its hands (as it's still out of public hands and I assume it's still in its earliest stages). The only problems that MIGHT arise are some maps in Generation 4 - many interiors still rely on the old Generation 3 tiling system (although I assume that can be changed since beta shots showed 3D interiors in Generation 4)

Not really... the interier maps are in 3D, just that it uses a map script that puts the 3D quality into a compressed look. However, they don't have that type of map script in Pokémon Black or Pokémon White. :\

Every map in the 4th and 5th generation uses 3D, doesn't even matter what it is. ;)

EDIT: And yeah, maybe it might become as good as AdvanceMap, however Lu-Ho is working on his AdvanceMap for the next version, and naw... the future version won't be compatible for the 4th or 5th generation. I'm pretty sure Lu-Ho pretty much is trying to do what he can to insert the funtionality for the animated tiles in the 3rd generation (Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, Emerald), and probably fixing problems with the map and prahaps making it easier to change the type of map in the 3rd generation.

Last edited:
Years
This looks like it's really coming along Link, excellent work :D I would love to help but I'm only a beggining scripter 8(

But I think once its officially made and released that a bunch of us should pool together to make a hack :D... I can already see a few R/S/E or FR/LG remakes in the distance haha :D

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Hi guys.
I have a good and bad news.

I progress in textures editing.
But... we can't totally change what we want...

See my picture for more info.

Well, nobody is perfect to do things perfectly. But, what's the problem? You can't edit textures for every square separately?

I don't know how this works but I'm sure you will succeed. With effort you can do ANYTHING, because hacking has no limits... (if you don't trust me check my hack's thread, Pokémon DarkDiamond)

Back