• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking for some other browsers to use, perhaps.

Years
Before I get into the meat of this thread, I want to preface with a few things:

• First and foremost, I actually don't mind Chrome for the most part. I think it does what it needs to do for me, as long as it doesn't crash too many times on me, I'm fine. So I don't want this thread to be misinterpreted as me hating on Chrome or whatever.
  • I've considered Firefox for a long time, and I've even heard that Firefox Quantum has made leaps and bounds in comparison to what Firefox used to be prior. I am still a taaad bit wary however, of whether or not this update means that Firefox has gotten rid of its plauging issue of being a giant memory hog, in a similar vein to Chrome.
  • I cannot do Safari, I'm using a Windows PC.
  • I technically have Chromium because I'm dual-booting both Windows/Linux on this PC, but assume this is looking for something else other than Chrome-based browsers, if that makes sense.

Basically, I'm looking for a breath of fresh air. Chrome is nice and efficient, but I gotta be honest, it's kinda sorta plain and I don't think the themes from the Chrome store really help it, if any. I know it's rather superficial of me, but I think browser design is important to me in tandem with functionality. If it works and it looks good, I'm sold.

So S&T, what other browsers can you suggest for me that aren't the top two/three most popular ones?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I freaking love Firefox.

I've used it for years and.... bar none the best.
Never had any memory hogging going on my end, even on my old PC that could barely do any two things at once.

Last edited:
Years
f2ZZnjE.png

sure do love when this happens randomly to me

Years
The thing about Firefox is, multiple processes don't launch (unlike Chrome), so it's still a memory hog, even though they may claim it's not. I've seen Firefox use up as much as 400-500k memory in one process, whereas with Chrome, it's at least broken down and wanes and waxes depending on how many tabs you have open.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Why not just install the ones you have in mind and try them for awhile and see which one sticks?

No point in discussing. Might as well dive in.

Years
the very reason why i made this thread is because i can get advice without wasting my time downloading the gazillion browser alternatives out there.

i dont see the harm in seeing if other people tried out anything other than chrome/firefox/safari. :o

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Sorry, I forgot.

Hmm. You know, there are internet tech forums; if I want a more detailed answer of people who really delve deep into this sort of thing, why not make an account there to ask?

That's what I would do.

Years
Firefox, Chrome, and Opera are the only 3 really worth your time for Windows. Most of the better alternatives that aren't these 3 are derived from one of these 3 anyway.

Firefox and Chrome perform far better if you do a completely cache and history wipe periodically.

My personal favorite is Firefox, but I use both it and Chrome daily (Firefox as my primary and Chrome as the secondary on my home PC, and Chrome as the primary and Firefox as the secondary on my work PC).

Years
If you're looking for aesthetics-and-functionality tandem, check out Vivaldi. (https://vivaldi.com/)

vivaldi is based off of chromium. it uses the same amount of memory as chrome does, if not less. vivaldi stresses on customizability of browsers along with a ton of great features.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Opera is a good alternative to Chrome And Firefox. I like using the Opera Mini on my phone since it is fast and simplified.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 17, 2018
shocking to see some stuff even after the world is getting carried away by the Google Chrome storm

Back