• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Scripting Question] quick question about PBEffects

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 6, 2022
In PBEffects where it has the long list of attacks and abilities like this
Code:
############################################################################
    # These effects apply to a battler
    AquaRing           = 0
    Attract            = 1
    BatonPass          = 2
    Bide               = 3
    BideDamage         = 4
    BideTarget         = 5
    Charge             = 6
    ChoiceBand         = 7
    Confusion          = 8
    Counter            = 9
    CounterTarget      = 10
    Curse              = 11
    DefenseCurl        = 12
    DestinyBond        = 13
    Disable            = 14
    DisableMove        = 15
    Electrify          = 16
    Embargo            = 17
    Encore             = 18
    EncoreIndex        = 19
    EncoreMove         = 20
    Endure             = 21
    FirstPledge        = 22
    FlashFire          = 23
    Flinch             = 24
    FocusEnergy        = 25
    FollowMe           = 26
    Foresight          = 27
    FuryCutter         = 28
    FutureSight        = 29
    FutureSightMove    = 30
    FutureSightUser    = 31
    FutureSightUserPos = 32
    GastroAcid         = 33
    Grudge             = 34
    HealBlock          = 35
and so on...
how do you know if something needs to be added to that list or not? and what happens if you do or don't have something on that list? because ive made a few abilities and attacks which some do fall under that category at the top of "these affects apply to a battler", so do I need to add them to this list? the abilities and moves ive made all work just fine, so im not sure if I need to or not, but I don't know if itll affect something else down the road. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I think the short answer is "you need one if you want your effect to have state (memory)". An example is Disguise—you want it to be on until the the Pokémon is hit, and then off afterwards[0]. Another example is Defense Curl—you want it to be off to start with, and on after use so that you can know to double the power of Rollout.

A counter-example is Weak Armor. In some sense it remembers how many times you've been attacked, but it does it via stat boosts. However if you wanted it to have a limit to how many times it could trigger then you could use an effect to count how many times it had been used—you wouldn't be able to use stat boosts for this, because other effects alter stat boosts too.

[0] Actually Disguise is a little different to other examples because it's one of the few effects that you don't reset on switch.

Back