• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Well, Gaga's not a straight celebrity... :P

I would say Josh Hutcherson/SBNN People, he's basically the main one. He was really great in "The Kids Are All Right"! And that speech that he gave at the GLAAD Awards really just sealed it for me. Wow, I'm really drawing a blank when it's coming to supportive straight celebrities not because there aren't any I just don't pay much attention anymore.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Answering Scarf's idol topic a bit late but w.e!!

I look up to Chris Colfer (shock), not because he's gay but because of his talent. As for looking up to a gay icon I guess the general people like Gaga, Madonna etc are there.

On the topic (idk if it died) of idols and such. What straight celebrities do you respect/look up to for being involved in the lgbt community? inb4everyonesayskathyandgaga

I think, generally, the actors in Glee are great representations of our generation (give or take 10 years). For example the actor who plays Blaine, who is often asked about it, always seems very graceful and insightful with his answers.

Although I can't really stand Glee, but yes..

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
For Andy's next trick he's going tell us all how he doesn't know who David Bowie or Madonna are.

And now for something completely different, I bring you some news from Florida where the Lt. Governor has maybe, perhaps, been caught in some kind of compromising position with one of her female staff and is denying she's a lesbian because "usually black women that look like me don't engage in relationships like that." Yup. She doesn't look like a lesbian, so clearly she can't be one. But all this is just gossip anyway and I provide it for the sake of keeping the conversation lively.

[read it all here]

LOL.

This is actually really interesting! It's usually the male politicians you find tapping their feet in the men's bathroom to get some service on the down-low, but you never hear about female officials being caught in sex scandals, much less same-sex ones. I realise it's only gossip at this stage, but her reasoning is hilarious lmao. Obviously homosexuality is a white thing. Sorry, Wanda Sykes.

On the topic (idk if it died) of idols and such. What straight celebrities do you respect/look up to for being involved in the lgbt community? inb4everyonesayskathyandgaga

I'm sure there are hundreds of them and I feel really bad that I can't remember them all because they're amazing, but the only ones I can think of are Chelsea Handler, Anne Hathaway and Daniel Radcliffe. Chelsea Handler is kind of like a less extreme version of Kathy Griffin in a gay-idol sort of way, whereas the latter two have both been questioned about homosexuality (Anne has a gay brother and Daniel has been accused of being gay) and both have come out in support of gay rights because of it. I think it's great because they were faced with discrimination and both used it as a way to platform anti-discrimination. Again, I'm sure they're not the only ones who have done this, just the only two that come to mind lol.

Anne even left the Catholic Church once she found out her brother was gay because she did research and found out their stance on the matter.

Years
Seeing as this is The Rainbow Connection I think it entirely appropriate to bring up some Muppet news.

So after a certain fast food chain CEO publicly denounced gay people we got this message from the Jim Henson Company's facebook page.

The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over fifty years and we have notified Chick-Fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors. Lisa Henson, our CEO is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-Fil-A to GLAAD.

(FYI: GLAAD stands for the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, which specialized in monitoring the media.)

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
Years
Speaking of LGBT related things in the media, the lovely David showed me this disgusting article earlier.

Once again the Daily Mail misgenders left right and centre, calling the lovely Ashlyn a he, yes suprisingly not actually referring to her by her birth name, which I believe is only mentioned once in the whole article! What a shock!

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
Speaking of LGBT related things in the media, the lovely David showed me this disgusting article earlier.

Once again the Daily Mail misgenders left right and centre, calling the lovely Ashlyn a he, yes suprisingly not actually referring to her by her birth name, which I believe is only mentioned once in the whole article! What a shock!

I don't really think the important issue here is how they wrote the article- I personally find gender labels extremely confusing when dealing with someone not cisgendered, because people are all different and even, say, a woman who aspires to be a man may want to stick with female pronouns until the change is completely done. Some people prefer gender neutral despite leaning completely towards one gender. Even though it's pretty obvious that Ashlyn most likely prefers female pronouns, the fact that the person who wrote the article used male pronouns is probably harmless (especially considering that they used Ashlyn's new female name)- what really should matter here is the content. Far too often do LGBT supporters get caught up in the symptoms and not the cause of such mistakes.

But moving on, the real problem we should discuss is how disturbingly the people in the school treated Ashlyn. That last part especially killed me- about the teacher that mocked Ashlyn by preforming a "****ty walk?" Ugh. Discrimination is not going to be dealt with at all in schools unless the teachers are fully briefed on how to accept students and allow them to express themselves gender-wise or any other way, for that matter. Ashlyn has plenty more to worry and fuss about without some ass of a teacher treating her poorly.

There should be some kind of special briefing for teachers for all kinds of hate and discrimination to not be tolerated. Race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, all that stuff in full. In my opinion, that "****ty walk" teacher should have more than her wrist slapped. How dare she make fun of a student, especially about such a sensitive topic. Teachers are supposed to help us out with being bullied and made fun of, not join in. Completely unacceptable. She better feel lucky that I'm not her principal.

If we can't get our teachers to be understanding, how can we possibly expect LGBT youth to feel safe? To instill understanding in all/most youth, too? Because hey, if teacher's doing it, you can sure bet students are going to do it ten times worse.

Shining Raichu

Years
Suck it, Chick-Fil-A.

And Kawaii, I don't think the article is necessarily that bad; certainly not "disgusting". The misgendering is wrong, of course, but given the article seems to be skewed incredibly in favour of Ashlyn, I think it's more indicative of a mistake or uncertainty of how to proceed than a statement against transgendered people.

EDIT: NINJA'D BY KIYOSHI

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
By a full four minutes.

Oh! And in relation to Scarf's little Jim Henson blurb, here's a little Los Angeles Times article about the outlash from the Chick-fil-A comments:

Click Here

Apparently, Major of Boston is not prohibiting them from opening in the city he runs. And Chick-Fil-A has obtained a political supporter who declared Aug. 1st "Chick-fil-A Appreciation day."

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
There should be some kind of special briefing for teachers for all kinds of hate and discrimination to not be tolerated. Race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, all that stuff in full. In my opinion, that "****ty walk" teacher should have more than her wrist slapped. How dare she make fun of a student, especially about such a sensitive topic. Teachers are supposed to help us out with being bullied and made fun of, not join in. Completely unacceptable. She better feel lucky that I'm not her principal.

I'm not sure if this was just me, but I didn't view the mockery as a trans-targetted thing. I mean that could be done to mock any female who conducted themselves in a very sexual manner.

What I mean is - it might not be right/acceptable, but I don't think the mockery was due to the fact Ashlyn is transgender, and more the way she holds herself.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years

I'm not sure if this was just me, but I didn't view the mockery as a trans-targetted thing. I mean that could be done to mock any female who conducted themselves in a very sexual manner.

What I mean is - it might not be right/acceptable, but I don't think the mockery was due to the fact Ashlyn is transgender, and more the way she holds herself.

Good point - I didn't think of that. By the way the article was written, it seemed to me that the teacher did it because Ashlyn was wearing female clothes and making fun of her for "wearing heels" or something like that.

However, in both cases and regardless if the mockery was about how Ashlyn holds herself or the fact she was transgendered- it's never okay to mock a student. You a teacher. This is your job. To make fun of a student regardless of who they are to other students is completely unacceptable and hurtful to the student. You are there to give the students an education and be there for them emotionally if they need it, not to mock and potentially harm their feelings.

Years
And Kawaii, I don't think the article is necessarily that bad; certainly not "disgusting". The misgendering is wrong, of course, but given the article seems to be skewed incredibly in favour of Ashlyn, I think it's more indicative of a mistake or uncertainty of how to proceed than a statement against transgendered people.
Even if it was an accident I would still expect a journalist to do a little research into the subject they are covering, in this case one dealing with trans issues. It wouldn't be very hard to ask her how she identifies herself and what pronouns to use.

Also, about the teacher mocking her, it is of course wrong for a teacher to do that to any student, but I feel that if this teacher already lacked the sense to not do something like this then they probably were targeting her specifically because she was trans. It seems too much of a coincidence for it to be that student out of all the other students.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Alright, so I just got my roommate for university. I'm slightly worried about how I should I should tell him I'm gay. Should I just straight up tell him? Or wait 'til he asks or it gets brought up? Or? I just need a new perspective because I'm sure I'm over thinking this.

Last edited:
Years
Do you know anything about him? Maybe you should wait and find out a few things about him, like where he's from, what he's studying, what his tastes are. All those kinds of things they usually collect from you before they assign you roommate (hopefully) so the ought to either send you some of their info or at least give you each other's emails or something so you can contact each other.

But if you don't get a chance to do all that then don't hide it. Be upfront. If it's a problem for him it'll be better to know right away so you can maybe switch roommates or something else. If he's okay then you'll save yourself some worry.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Alright, so I just got my roommate for university. I'm slightly worried about how I should I should tell him I'm gay. Should I just straight up tell him? Or wait 'til he asks or it gets brought up? Or? I just need a new perspective because I'm sure I'm over thinking this.

If you are able to contact him on Facebook to chat and things that would be a good step to assess what to do.

But I would recommend mentioning it, casually, before properly moving in (or soon after) just so it is easier to fix if needed.

This is why I'm glad it's not the norm for UK Universities to share rooms! Awkward.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Do you know anything about him? Maybe you should wait and find out a few things about him, like where he's from, what he's studying, what his tastes are. All those kinds of things they usually collect from you before they assign you roommate (hopefully) so the ought to either send you some of their info or at least give you each other's emails or something so you can contact each other.

But if you don't get a chance to do all that then don't hide it. Be upfront. If it's a problem for him it'll be better to know right away so you can maybe switch roommates or something else. If he's okay then you'll save yourself some worry.

I don't know anything about him. The only question they asked is if you want to live with a smoker or not. I do have his email and I've found him on Facebook and messaged him. I guess I'll just wait to see if he responds or not. You're right, I shouldn't hide it it's better to be upfront because then I can see if I can change roommates and I'm not stuck with him the whole year.

If you are able to contact him on Facebook to chat and things that would be a good step to assess what to do.

But I would recommend mentioning it, casually, before properly moving in (or soon after) just so it is easier to fix if needed.

This is why I'm glad it's not the norm for UK Universities to share rooms! Awkward.

Yeah, I contacted him on Facebook but so far he hasn't messaged me back. If that continues I might email him because he might not use his Facebook anymore. I'll think of some way to slip it into a conversation that sounds best or just be out right with it.

Thank you for the responses.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
odsjnsakdmdslk What an interestingly little predicament.

I couldn't really know what to do, either. While getting it out right away to make sure there isn't a problem is all fine and dandy as well as efficient, but the first thing out of your mouth to him shouldn't be:

"So, hi!"
"Hi. Looks like we'll be sharing a room!"
"I AM HOMOSEX PLZ DUN HATE."

You should probably get a bit cozier and friendlier before dropping the subject. Or, you could just test the waters WITHOUT telling him upfront. Find some way to weasel it into conversation, see how he reacts. Judging by his reaction, you can probably take it from there as far as switching rooms.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I'm facing a similar problem. I'll have 3 roommates though, lol. In my case, most if not all of the school already knows, because there were so many people posting about the school's GSA on the school's facebook group, that we all ended up saying what our sexuality was. There's a lot of us. lol

Either way, I've never seen any of my roommates post in the group, so I don't know if any of them know, although most of the school does.

One of them just posted that chick-fil-a article, and seemed to be siding with chick-fil-a(it was sort of vague, so I can't really tell for sure.)... so that's not a good sign.

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Years
If it were me, I would just tell him as it becomes relevant. I wouldn't go out of my way or try to work it into a conversation somehow, I'd just bring it up if it becomes relevant to your living situation or if you become close enough a friend that it's something he should know.

If you make a big deal out of it, then it's a big deal. If you don't let it be an issue and just let him get to know you first, then he'll see it won't impact on your living situation and when he does find out, I don't think it'll be an issue.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I think it'd be better to wait for a while. A few weeks, maybe, until you get to know him. Then you can predict what his reaction will be. Based on that prediction, proceed to (not) tell him.
Also, it's probably as many others said, if you make a big deal out of it, it will be a big deal.

As for your case, Quilava King, coming out to 3 roommates... I don't think it'll be easy at all :\ But if, as you said, a lot of people already know, then I guess you don't have to say anything.

But, just to ask a question to both Retro Bug & Quilava King: Why do you want to come out to your roommates? They don't really have to know, do they?

Shining Raichu

Years
I think it's probably about living honestly. Why would they want to walk around hiding in the closet while in college?

That's why my advice is don't go out of your way to tell them, but don't make an effort to hide it either. Don't come out, just passively be out.

Back