• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN FULL] Into the Great Open Blue [OOC]

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Gobs OOH sweet, brother!

@Sweet Dreams that's a great idea! No, your Marowak can definitely use the spanner as a combat weapon to replace the bone. Definitely! I like that, in fact

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
Yay! I really liked the concept, so I'm glad you approve. xD

Aaand I'm bugging you again with another quick question. Can they have both an egg move and a TM move in their moveset, or should I just choose one?

Also I hope you don't mind, I'm taking a few liberties with "Cubone culture" if you will. If there's anything that you don't like in the final SU I'll happily change it xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
You can have as many Egg moves as you want, but only 1 TM. My thinking in restricting TM moves to 1 is that we, as pirates, will be looting TMs throughout the RP, so if you want more than 1 TM in your moveset, we'll have to arrange for your character to get it IC.

EDIT: I don't mind the Cubone culture thing at all. I welcome you to take creative action (almost) as you see fit

Last edited:

Sweet Dreams

Years
Name: Kayri Merr, "Gadget" (professional alias), "Spanner" (local nickname)

Species: Marowak

Position in the Crew: Engineer

Appearance:

Unlike most Marowak, Kayri wields not a bone but a spanner in her hand. Offensively, she uses it much the same way that normal Marowak would use a bone, but since it's made from steel, it packs quite a bit more punch. She always has a pair of goggles on, usually resting on the top of her head. Her boots are solid-looking and dark brown with burnished bronze detailing, matching the thick, sturdy gloves that she wears. A bag with many pockets and slots can usually be found slung over one of her shoulders and resting on the opposite hip. Inside this bag are a lot of tools such as differently sized screwdrivers, pliers, blowtorches and other things that she might find useful. If she's doing anything potentially dangerous or messy, like welding, she will put on a thick, fire-proof apron of hers. The apron also has pockets for many of her tools.

If she's staying anywhere for any length of time, she will take a chest with her. While it also has tools in its various compartments, its main compartment has its own lock that she almost never opens.

History:

Kayri was born in Tyrantria, Antara to a couple who were barely scraping by. A famine swept the city when she was young, taking her mother's life with it. As was tradition, since Cubones wear the bones of their closest deceased ancestor so that they may be granted strength and protection, Kayri was given her mother's bones. Her father, an incredibly pious man who wholeheartedly believed that the recent disasters were a result of Arceus' wrath, made sure to impress upon her that though sinning brought disaster to all, the souls of the pure and faithful would reunite and rest with Arceus for eternity.

With her mother gone, her father now had to both work for food and shelter and somehow take care of her at the same time. He was almost at his wit's end when he found a Donphan who was willing to take her on as a young apprentice, as long as he was given a stipend of money to cover her living costs. The Donphan, known only as Gizmo, agreed to take her in at first, both because he found that there were certain things that his snout had difficulty working with, and because he was beginning to feel his age and wanted to pass on some of his skills and knowledge. Gizmo's work could be described as tinkering more than anything else. He would fix whatever was given to him and would sometimes craft zany gadgets that were amazing to behold—if not very useful or practical.

She spent most of her life working under Gizmo and they formed a deep bond that was almost parental in nature. A few years after her apprenticeship, Gizmo stopped taking money from her father, stating that she more than earned her keep. Her father couldn't visit her very often, but would always tell her that they were connected under the eyes of Arceus. Eventually, in her mid teens, she was brought news of her father's death. He had apparently been quite gravely ill for some time and had hidden it from her.

It wasn't too long afterwards that somebody working for the world renowned Artificial Xyloid Intelligence Systems group, better known as AXIS, discovered one of the silly gadgets that Gizmo made. Upon realising that it was quite expertly crafted, they tracked him down and began pressuring him to help them make machines of war under the guise of bettering their city. He resisted the offers for quite a while, but they began using underhanded means, affecting his business to such an extent that they were no longer attracting any customers. Gizmo was forced to leave, or starve. With no other family left, Kayri went with him, despite his protests. She was offered a scholarship education since Gizmo had learned his trade through less conventional means, which she took somewhat reluctantly.

Kayri spent a few years learning everything about some of the best technology in the world, and the next half decade crafting airship engines and clockwork cannons for AXIS. While she was glad to be reunited with her mentor, Kayri had finally learned to pay notice to the world around her, and her suspicions that something was purposefully being kept from her deepened by the day. She saw the city deteriorate little by little, plagued ever more strongly by plagues and famine, as their weapons grew bigger and better. She watched as Gizmo was worked to the bone, his eyes tired and his movements getting ever slower. And she heard the terrible things for which her own precious creations were being put to use. All the while, she scrimped and saved and discreetly, in her spare time, built and tinkered with and built a little one-person airship. She knew that she could not stay there forever and pretend ignorance. Something was broken in the world, though she knew not what it might be, and something had to be done.

Gizmo drew his last breath, and Kayri mourned. Soon after his death, she was approached by AXIS about the last project that Gizmo had been put in charge of. He had been building a special compass that would lead them to a little-known entity called the World Gear. Upon hearing that the World Gear was theorised to be a vital component of the world's ecosystem, all the pieces fell into place for Kayri. She wanted to find the World Gear as much as AXIS did, although she wasn't sure they shared the same motives for doing so. AXIS gave her their implicit blessing to use any means that she could to try and finish the project, including the possible need to venture into the black market to obtain things that were not legally available. However, AXIS made it known that they would not offer any extra support. She was expected to go it alone, which was more than fine by her.

With all of Gizmo's unfinished blueprints in hand and all her worldly possessions--her airship, her parents' bones in a chest, and a modest amount of money that she'd managed to save--Kayri set off to find the different technologies and parts to complete Gizmo's work.

However, skilled as she was, Kayri was no navigator. When the Skyway that she was surfing dissipated into nothing, she ended up hitting a Far Across Zone, with predictable results. It was pure luck that the ship made it to Modistra at all… though Kayri had been trying to get to Nautactus. But she made it there alive, her precious chest was intact, and while her ship was beyond repair, certain parts could still be salvaged. It could have gone a lot worse.

Unfortunately this did leave her stranded with a limited amount of money. With few options available to her, she started a little tinker business out of an inn, bringing her story almost full circle.

Personality:

Methodical and meticulous, Kayri likes to break things down and see what makes them tick—then build them back up again, preferably better. She tends to reduce complex ideas into smaller and simpler parts. This has made her appear simplistic or immovable and thick-headed to some people, not helped by the fact that she simply lacks the ability to eloquently express her viewpoints to others.

Kayri believes that all of life is like an engine. A fault in any individual part, without timely intervention, could eventually cause the greater whole to break down. To keep things working smoothly, whether it be your health, your friendships, or upholding your morals, requires constant work and maintenance. Kayri readily admits, of course, that she has little knowledge of the cogs that the universe runs on outside of mechanical creations.

People tend to be surprised when they find out that she is quite deeply religious. She acknowledges Arceus as the creator of the universe and follows the One Faith, and her particular faith accepts most of the associated creation myths as being true and following the will of Arceus. To Kayri, ordinary Pokemon were created to maintain the world that Arceus left for them. Any disharmony or discord was a direct result of their own failures to do so. She feels in her bones that something has broken in the engine of the world and wishes to find out what it might be and what might be done about it. Perhaps it is the mythical World Gear that she had recently learned of, or perhaps the source of the corruption is even the Thousand Arms themselves, who she thinks may have strayed from the path of unity that Arceus intended. Whatever it might be, it is something that she is willing to devote the rest of her life to uncovering.

Kayri is most definitely more comfortable fiddling with machines than with the intricacies of communicating with other living Pokemon. She can be blunt and thoughtless with her words and can only clumsily try to patch things up if she accidentally sets things awry. Despite not being hugely socially savvy, she does enjoy the company of others. She is, at her heart, empathetic and tolerant, even if it may sometimes take spelling out your actions or beliefs for her to understand them.

Others find Kayri to be grounded and steadfast. There is a no-nonsense air to her and she will not rise to the bait or act out rashly based on her emotions. In fact, while she is fairly open about herself and her views, she can be difficult for many people to read as she keeps her personal feelings quite guarded. It is almost impossible for her to be anything but straightforward, though she has an unrivalled poker-face if the need for her to lie or deflect arises. (It probably helps that her face is literally a mask made of bones.) While she is nowhere near naive, Kayri tends to want to believe the best of people and will help someone in trouble even if she suspects that they might be using her or setting a trap.

Ability: Lightningrod

Type Mastery or Artifact: None

Moveset: Focus Energy, Bonemerang, Headbutt, Fling, Iron Head, Flamethrower (TM)

What is the Fifth Tenet of the Golden Code of Conduct?: Be Alert

RP Sample: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7632582&postcount=96

Last edited:

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
I have interest in joining, but it seems like your quota is close to being filled up (if not already full) so some competition seems inevitable which always sucks.

Aside from legnedaries or anything deemed game breaking, is there any banlists for specific Pokemon species you have here? Or is the only requirement them being capable of fulfilling their designated role, no matter how unconventional their physique and characteristics may seem in a general setting (i.e., something similar to Voltorb or Ditto)? I'd like to play with the fact that we're not strictly playing as humans/humanoids and explore this story through a slightly different perspective if possible.

Edit: Actually, after reading further, I also want to know what exactly does a psychic do that makes them stand out? It seems like their expertise overlaps with both engineer and sky master based on the given description. Unless the ship's power core is empowered by some inexplicable magical force and a psychic's method of navigation is more about avoiding disasters?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
@Razgray that's up to you

I have interest in joining, but it seems like your quota is close to being filled up (if not already full) so some competition seems inevitable which always sucks.

Aside from legnedaries or anything deemed game breaking, is there any banlists for specific Pokemon species you have here? Or is the only requirement them being capable of fulfilling their designated role, no matter how unconventional their physique and characteristics may seem in a general setting (i.e., something similar to Voltorb or Ditto)? I'd like to play with the fact that we're not strictly playing as humans/humanoids and explore this story through a slightly different perspective if possible.

Edit: Actually, after reading further, I also want to know what exactly does a psychic do that makes them stand out? It seems like their expertise overlaps with both engineer and sky master based on the given description. Unless the ship's power core is empowered by some inexplicable magical force and a psychic's method of navigation is more about avoiding disasters?

Your character's species should make their role aboard easier. That's how I can best describe it. I can't let a Wailord or a Gyarados be engineers, for example. Wailords don't live outside large bodies of water (except in special circumstances), neither of those Pokemon even fit belowdecks where the engines are, they don't have hands, etc. That also makes water-types that can't survive without being in the water a no-go. Similar restrictions, to preserve realism, apply to all types and to all species. there's no specific banlist. It's up to you to find the suitable species for your role and make it work.

You pretty much guessed it. The airship's power core differs from an engine - power core and engines are two vital components of an airship. If you think of engineering as the craft related to the airship's body, the psychic arts have more to do with its soul. Not a literal soul, as power cores are artificially created, but it can be described as one. You see, all airships work with the help of Psychic power [Phlogistron, the fuel, is forced up and into the blimps from the gas tanks with the help of Psychic power provided by the power core. The heat from the engines makes the fuel in the blimps become denser, and psychic energy pushes it with the help of the rudder, either forward, or backward (with the help of a lever next to the rudder), or in any direction the rudder goes. Additionally, most airships sport barriers, psychic shields that operate much like huge Light Screens (and for especially advanced aircraft, Reflect as well) - those are powered by the airship's power core and are best operated by a psychic].

The Psychic can usually predict weather disturbances by casting a tool-assisted-Miracle Eye on a location several miles away from the airship and glimpsing what's there. Yeah, you could say they're also equipped for avoiding disaster. They're not foolproof, though. As powerful as Psychics and Sky Masters can be in maneuvering around bad weather, the skies of the Known World are made to be tricky and treacherous, so success with their knowledge and powers isn't always set in stone.

Last edited:

for him.

I'm trash.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
@Razgray that's up to you

Your character's species should make their role aboard easier. That's how I can best describe it. I can't let a Wailord or a Gyarados be engineers, for example. Wailords don't live outside large bodies of water (except in special circumstances), neither of those Pokemon even fit belowdecks where the engines are, they don't have hands, etc. That also makes water-types that can't survive without being in the water a no-go. Similar restrictions, to preserve realism, apply to all types and to all species. there's no specific banlist. It's up to you to find the suitable species for your role and make it work.

You pretty much guessed it. The airship's power core differs from an engine - power core and engines are two vital components of an airship. If you think of engineering as the craft related to the airship's body, the psychic arts have more to do with its soul. Not a literal soul, as power cores are artificially created, but it can be described as one. You see, all airships work with the help of Psychic power [Phlogistron, the fuel, is forced up and into the blimps from the gas tanks with the help of Psychic power provided by the power core. The heat from the engines makes the fuel in the blimps become denser, and psychic energy pushes it with the help of the rudder, either forward, or backward (with the help of a lever next to the rudder), or in any direction the rudder goes. Additionally, most airships sport barriers, psychic shields that operate much like huge Light Screens (and for especially advanced aircraft, Reflect as well) - those are powered by the airship's power core and are best operated by a psychic].

The Psychic can usually predict weather disturbances by casting a tool-assisted-Miracle Eye on a location several miles away from the airship and glimpsing what's there. Yeah, you could say they're also equipped for avoiding disaster. They're not foolproof, though. As powerful as Psychics and Sky Masters can be in maneuvering around bad weather, the skies of the Known World are made to be tricky and treacherous, so success with their knowledge and powers isn't always set in stone.

Hey Ray, I noticed that some locations don't have a description. I was wondering if I could use these places as a place of origin for my character?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Hey Ray, I noticed that some locations don't have a description. I was wondering if I could use these places as a place of origin for my character?

You could, but we'd have to talk about it. For most of the locations I've left empty, I've already thought of some things, I just couldn't write them down because of the sheer number of other places I had to fill up, which were more important. You could PM me if you want to know more about places which have no descriptions. Sorry about that

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Hey guys, just a reminder: I'll be accepting SUs on Tuesday/Wednesday, so those who haven't posted a SU yet have about 3 days
P.S. Added Jon's Wanted Poster and a (very necessary) theme to Captain Jon's SU after my friend suggested it be so. Don't stop me nooooooooow!

Last edited:

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
So, uh... I'm liking the looks of these SU sheets coming in. Maybe lacking a few top hats and monocles for my liking, but eh. Can't win 'em all.

Good luck, everyone. We face the judgement of Ray Maverick, the man who allegedly once wrote a W in text size 7: the largest of the text sizes. What an absolute mad man. I can barely handle 5.

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
Years
Yo, I know that the deadline for SUs are coming up soon, but I think I can whip something up. What positions are still open?

Sweet Dreams

Years
Yo, I know that the deadline for SUs are coming up soon, but I think I can whip something up. What positions are still open?

The positions for Gunner, Engineer, Sky Master and Psychic are still open, though to my knowledge Psychic is the only one without an SU already up.

And hey, you could always go for a shaman fox psychic if you so chose. :P

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024

You can apply for any of the following: Gunner, Engineer, Sky Master, Psychic. Best SU gets the role

Good luck, everyone. We face the judgement of Ray Maverick, the man who allegedly once wrote a W in text size 7: the largest of the text sizes. What an absolute mad man. I can barely handle 5.

WWWWWWWWWWW

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
absolutely-barbaric-meme-258x300.jpg

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Hey! Heads up: tomorrow (for me) I'll be doing some accepting and declining! This doesn't mean you can't apply anymore, it just means that certain spots, of people that I've accepted, will be locked.

IT'S TIME FOR SOME

tumblr_n5kk9mRB8Y1sfayd4o1_500.gif

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Alright

@Foxrally you're accepted! Frag makes a great addition to our crew. He's unhinged, and that makes it kind of funny. Until BOOM. Best joke. Great work. We may need to change/flesh out a few details about his past, so as to solidify it.

@Sweet Dreams you're accepted! In the time we spent talking, I liked your attitude about the character. You're willing to go the extra mile for her; that's what I'm looking for.

Welcome to the crew! Let me say that I'm impressed by both of you for your enthusiasm. I hope it's something you'll carry for the rest of our time in the RP!

With those characters accepted, I think we're in need of a strong physical/ranged fighter!

@Jill Sandwich I'll leave your SU pending for the time being. Your character doesn't meet certain conditions I've set, and I've PMed you about it, without a response so far.

Back