The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Science & Technology
Enjoying my Microsoft

Science & Technology From the computer lab to the chemistry lab, or even the observatory, here's where we nerd out over all things science and technology!

Old March 16th, 2018 (4:20 PM).
We come close to find Singularity

Nature: Adamant
It's windows. Almost everyone uses it. Today I implore you to share what your favorite things are about the biggest desktop OS, along with your least favorite things.

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 16th, 2018 (4:45 PM).

For me, I love the compatibility of software for it. Almost everything is written for Windows, which leads to my second point: it's extremely easy to develop for with a plethora of software suites such as .NET and whatnot.

While I do like it, I do have dislikes for it. Besides Windows 10 and its pushy updates, which I've wrestled into submission, it really does slow down over time, and it's incredibly bloated. I imagine uninstalling some software will remedy it a bit, but a clean reinstall is usually best, although it's a pain to update because of how many updates behind I'd be from the factory image. It also gets spontaneous bugs that seem to crop up from nowhere, so it does get to be annoying when they become a huge inconvenience.

And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death.

But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin.

I coveted that wind, I suppose.

Moderator of Science & Technology - Signature Image
Old March 16th, 2018 (6:06 PM).
We come close to find Singularity

Nature: Adamant
  • Handles DPI scaling, which is important for my laptop as it has a 14" 1440p screen. Linux does it, but worse.
  • My VPN can do a network lock. This was broken on Linux recently and I don't know why.
  • I'm able to develop software, draw with my stylus in Photoshop/Illustrator, and communicate everywhere easily. Windows can do more because it can handle touch better.

Dislikes
  • "IncrediBuild Coordinator Service" swamping disk usage. I'm surprised it's able to, I have 512GB of state-of-the-art solid state storage over PCIe.
  • Poor accomodations for development. Windows has a major bias for Microsoft's ready-made solution blackboxes. It's passable to do web development on them, and painful to do native dev... unless you use Visual Studio and then it's hard on every other platform so yeah, problem not solved

One thing I do enjoy, even though it's not a feature Microsoft intended, is the behaviour of the built-in Administrator account in respect to UWP. Needless to say, it doesn't work, which is exactly what I want it to do because it's incapable of doing anything but working against me. When I install Windows, I enable and manually manage the built-in admin account as my own through group policy and everything is A-OK, no super-bowl ads included.
Old March 17th, 2018 (2:15 AM).
look at my signature

Nature: Lonely
    The thing I like about Windows 10 is the compatibility and the UI design. There are inconsistencies that are annoying though. And the humongous Creator's Update is ruining my data cap ;-;
    Old March 18th, 2018 (5:54 AM).

Nature: Jolly
    It's universally recognizable as an operating system, and not complicated to use at all. However, it has the flaw of being the most common OS out there, thus it's the most targeted for attacks.
    Old March 19th, 2018 (5:40 AM).
    Mewtwo worshiper

Nature: Naughty
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
      It's universally recognizable as an operating system, and not complicated to use at all.
      This sums very well the pros of Windows.

Cons
      • Spying, "free" Windows 10 wasn't really free, its price was your privacy. Today it costs $119,99 and your privacy.
      • File system, Windows 10 still uses crappy old NTFS so you need to defragment your hard drive(s) regularly.
      • UAC is joke compared to Linux.
      • Poor update management and forced updates

Btw, Windows isn't the most common OS when all platforms are counted: http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share#monthly-201801-201801-bar
      Old March 19th, 2018 (5:54 PM).
      Ascensionverse Author

Nature: Mild
        I'm not that thrilled with the W10 OS, as it was forced on my computer (I couldn't back out of the 'upgrade' that I did not sign up for), and it's basically broken my laptop's usability. What the hardware for W8 could handle, it cannot handle for W10 and half of the time it's randomly rebooting for no apparent reason.

My disc usage is also regularly amped up to 100% now, which I am not thrilled about.
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (4:31 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by .Eclipseon. View Post
        I'm not that thrilled with the W10 OS, as it was forced on my computer (I couldn't back out of the 'upgrade' that I did not sign up for), and it's basically broken my laptop's usability. What the hardware for W8 could handle, it cannot handle for W10 and half of the time it's randomly rebooting for no apparent reason.

My disc usage is also regularly amped up to 100% now, which I am not thrilled about.
        Random reboots hardly have anything to do with the OS itself, but rather the hardware.
        Old 1 Week Ago (8:28 AM).
        Ascensionverse Author

Nature: Mild
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
          Random reboots hardly have anything to do with the OS itself, but rather the hardware.
          It doesn't run hot and I don't get the "blue screen of death," though. So does anything in particular come to mind for the cause?
          Old 1 Week Ago (1:19 PM).

I really love classic Windows, but the modern GUI and the changes in how it's laid out and organised put me off a lot, it makes me feel less in control of things if that makes sense. So personally I prefer to use older Windows when possible on my main desktops. If a system isn't connected to the internet I'll sometimes even use outdated versions of Windows lol.
            Old 1 Week Ago (9:43 PM).
            Back in action, hopefully for real.

Nature: Modest
            Usually Windows have many apps to work with, including many games, which makes it easy to adopt Windows as regular OS. Not to mention it have several nice interfaces (shout out to Luna from Windows XP) and can be customized, these makes navigating in Windows comfortable. Well, I have enjoyed Windows XP and Windows 7. And I also enjoyed 8.1 as well thanks to customizations.

However, I'm not quite fond on Windows 10 after upgrading to it once, this makes me think that upgrading to the latest Windows isn't 100% a good thing.
            Old 1 Week Ago (6:56 AM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by .Eclipseon. View Post
            It doesn't run hot and I don't get the "blue screen of death," though. So does anything in particular come to mind for the cause?
            Bad capacitor on the motherboard? Dying HDD? Could be anything, really.

Quick Reply