• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: How do I do this? :S

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
It's much easier asking here rather than ask every mod the same exact questions one at a time till striking luck. :s

I have one post that's incredibly long, hoping to make it a little easier to navigate within that single post itself.. rather than potentially scrapping my entire thread or needing to make a single thread for each gen.

I only know how to make links to the begining of a particular post.
... How do you make a link that points to a particular section of the post instead (not the begining)?
... Is it possible to make hyper link for a particular word or phrase within the post?
... Do you have any other suggestions that may help?

I apologize in advance, editor functions on most sites often alludes me.

Years
It's much easier asking here rather than ask every mod the same exact questions one at a time till striking luck. :s

I have one post that's incredibly long, hoping to make it a little easier to navigate within that single post itself.. rather than potentially scrapping my entire thread or needing to make a single thread for each gen.

... How do you make a link that points to a particular section of the post instead (not the begining)?
... Is it possible to make hyper link for a particular word or phrase within the post?

If you want to do that you'll need to do something with some fancy CSS, which honestly is a but beyond most of us on staff. I know that Nakuzami and Kitty have done similar in some of their threads in the past though, so maybe try asking one of them? Both will be listed at the top of the Underground forum.

Last edited:
Years

No CSS required!

Here's a quickie on how you do it:

1. Use the [a id][/a id] tag to set an "anchor point" and what it's name is, and you define the name of it by what you put between the [a id][/a id] tags. In this one, we'll use "test" as our anchor point's name, like so [a id]test[/a id][a id]test[/a id]. When done properly, you can't see your anchor points in the final post, but any link that uses the correct anchor link will bring you to that anchor point.

2. Now that you've got your anchor point's name defined and the anchor point created, you need to create some links to reference it. Using our anchor point we created in step 1, we will now create an anchor link that brings us back to that anchor point. To create an anchor link, you use the [aurl=""]insert text to be turned into a link here[/aurl], where the name of the anchor point is put in-between the quotation marks and the text you want to be your actual link goes in place of the text "insert text to be turned into a link here". Here's what our anchor link to the anchor point we created in step 1 would look like: [aurl="test"]go back to the anchor point in the first step[/aurl].

And now here's what it actually looks like in action: go back to the anchor point in the first step. It should work because I actually did create a hidden anchor point in the first step right next to the example text for the tag.

Does this cover all of what you were looking for?

To give you some ideas, here's a thread where I used something like 30 of them in a single page to link to specific points within individual posts and across posts on the page. As long as they're done properly, they're pretty flexible. Not sure if they work across different pages of a thread though, lol. They might if you include the permanent URL for the page, which would mean they'd work between threads, too.

Last edited:

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Does this cover all of what you were looking for?

Ohh... you're a god!!! xD

Yes, that was exactly what I was looking for, pretty sure that's all I would need for my 1st gen post too. :)

I'll try it out on that post tomorrow, ty for all your help! ^^

Last edited:
Back