• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Turning drawings of Fakémon into sprite

Years
I've drawn some Fakémon for my Pokémon Essentials Project, and, of course, I want to include them in my project as battlers/sprites. They are already drawn at the pose like I want them to be as a battler, but I struggle to convert a scan of the drawings to a sprite.

I own Photoshop and Illustrator, so I'd be glad if someone of this amazing forum knows a good tutorial for my mission or has some tips.

Thank you all :)

Years
If you have photoshop what you can do is take the scan of your fakemon and put a transparent layer over it. Then take the pencil tool and increase the tool's size to something manageable and draw over your scan using a few different colors to approximate the shape of the original drawing. That way you have a large digital version of your drawing you can then work with. Once you're done with that you can take your new colored drawing and shrink it down to sprite size (preserving the hard edges!) and then clean up the sprite from there.

It's not too difficult if you're used to making sprites. Your mileage may vary.

I made a quick tutorial about it. Maybe you'll get some use from it?
https://www.deviantart.com/magiscarf/art/Quick-and-Easy-1-Hour-Sprite-Making-Tutorial-748721220

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 6, 2019
This is a manual process that takes time. If you use a sketch as reference, then you can either make a sprite from scratch with the sketch next to you (so you can compare it), or you can resize the sketch so it fits into the required size and line over it.

When lining, make sure you follow the standard spriting rules. 1 pixel outline, with no "steps" unless they are required.

Back