• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Sigma Σmerald [v1.914]

Years
DraconianWing you're making me sad. You're making it seem like it's going to be put on hold for years.
I know, and I'm really sorry for that. But it's worth mentioning that the upgraded battle engine, once finished, pretty much achieves everything that Tlachtli created this hack project for: a classic Emerald with updated mechanics.

I can't seem to soft reset?? A, B, select, and start all work in game. Anybody have an idea as to what's going on. I'm using gpsp on my 3ds.
There is an annoying bug with my Kirlia's Draining Kiss that I'd like to see fixed though; the game freezes (music still plays) for around a good minute after the angel descends in the move's animation, until the animation is finally finished. Makes the move pretty much unusable which sucks since it's in Kirlia's learnset and it'd be a useful move to have early game.
Both of these problems have been reported before. It seems to be a problem specific to gpsp emulators rather than the game itself, because I cannot reproduce the glitches in VBA.

Loving this hack so far. Thing that's bothering me a bit is, will my save games (regular and save states) be compatible with future updates?
Your save should be fine with updates for now. However I'd advise making a new save once the upgraded engine is put into SE.

I understand that this project is on hold for now, but there was one thing that really stuck out to me as being improvable. By the looks of your encounter document, you can only obtain one Unown in this game. For people who might want different kinds, I think it would be better to put Unown in the Regi chambers with the braille. This is thematically quite appropriate and gives people the chance to hunt for all of them. No doubt there is something else that would work better for Unown's current location in the game?
That's a good idea! I'll look into it for the next patch :)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Actually, I'm playing the game on a GBA with a GBA Everdrive x5 where I get the draining kiss bug. Oh well, I just don't use the move after that.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
A few of my suggestions:

1. A challenge mode for those of us who like to punish ourselves.

2. More items from Gen 4+ available pre E4.

3. Reducing the pokedex down to a custom size, I see no point in a hack or sideshow hack having every gen 1-3 pokemon available, it creates overcrowding on every route and it's really not necessary. Adding in the Gen 4 evolutions and perhaps a few event pokemon from later gens would be cool. But nearly 400 pokemon is way too much.

4. Perhaps adding in a shard system similar to Gen 4 + with certain moves being allowed to be tutored.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 10, 2021
so with the PRNG being fixed, can anayone confirm that you can shiny hunt in this game like any other pokemon game?
i love shiny hunting so i just want to know

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
In addition to the battle frontier it would be cool if there was an actual pokemon league tournament where if you get first you then earn the right to challenge the elite 4 and in between rounds one could go off and do some other things to prepare for the next round like change your current team and even train between matches (but once you start the elite 4 you have to use the six pokemon you have once you accept that challenge). This is something that is sorely needed in the official games and would make the league a more authentic affair. Not sure if that could be done at the stage the game is in right now though.

Also if you're gonna keep Linoon with just one ability could you change Linoone's ability to something else so that its more worthwile to use in a challenge like the Battle Frontier? The battle frontier after all replicates the competitive play side of the game and an otherwise decent pokemon like Linoone (and others with bad abilities) are let down by what they have. Perhaps giving Linoone Gluttony (its other standard ability) when it evolves from Zigzagoon would be a good idea, or perhaps Guts since theres few pokemon who make effective use of Facade as it is and status conditions start really affecting your strategies by midgame onwards anyway. But thats just my suggestion, its your call in the end.

BTW where does one find the johto and kanto starters in this hack?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 25, 2020
Do the TM's stay up to 50 only? And does Steadfast Tyrogue exist? Been looking for days now for one.

Eragon123973

Rayquazaman
Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2020
Has zapdos been added in?
And any idea what is up with match call? I cant rebattle anyone.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 6, 2018
hi! i have to say, i'm amazed by this rom!
i wanted to report a small issue i found:
i caught Marill in Petalburg city, in the grass patches and got it to level 40 Azumarill.
however, it still don't have the move Aqua Ring, which according to the pokedex, is obtained in lvl 31.
did anyone alse encounter that, or know if Aqua Ring was added to the game?
thanks!

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
I have never really got into Hoenn for some reason but I like your hack. I look forward to the Battle Fronteer being finished.

Years
Although progress with incorporating the new battle engine is currently on hold, I've been at work with making some minor tweaks with Sigma Emerald. The wait for the completion of the disassembly provides (very) plenty of time to refine what is present before adding more new stuff into the game. Upcoming changes will include minor wild encounter tweaks as well as music changes in a few areas.

I understand that this project is on hold for now, but there was one thing that really stuck out to me as being improvable. By the looks of your encounter document, you can only obtain one Unown in this game. For people who might want different kinds, I think it would be better to put Unown in the Regi chambers with the braille. This is thematically quite appropriate and gives people the chance to hunt for all of them. No doubt there is something else that would work better for Unown's current location in the game?
I have addressed this concern for the next update. Wild Unown will be found in the inner portion of the Sealed Chamber (after the player uses Dig) and gives the chance for all variants to be caught :)

Actually, I'm playing the game on a GBA with a GBA Everdrive x5 where I get the draining kiss bug. Oh well, I just don't use the move after that.
I'm getting the same Draining Kiss bug with a VC injected ROM on my old 3DS
Thanks for the clarifications. I'll try looking further into the issue with this move, though the bug merely slows down the gameplay.

A few of my suggestions:

1. A challenge mode for those of us who like to punish ourselves.

2. More items from Gen 4+ available pre E4.

3. Reducing the pokedex down to a custom size, I see no point in a hack or sideshow hack having every gen 1-3 pokemon available, it creates overcrowding on every route and it's really not necessary. Adding in the Gen 4 evolutions and perhaps a few event pokemon from later gens would be cool. But nearly 400 pokemon is way too much.

4. Perhaps adding in a shard system similar to Gen 4 + with certain moves being allowed to be tutored.
1. A challenge mode will be considered once the project is finished. It'll be tough trying to maintain two different branches whenever there are new features to be added.

2. Will be easier with the new engine, as there will be less of a need to add new routines into the ROM individually.

3. The plan is to add cross-gen evolutions and keep everything else as-is. (and rearrange the Pokedex accordingly)

4. Like #2 and #3, will be more seamless to implement once the new battle engine is here.

so with the PRNG being fixed, can anayone confirm that you can shiny hunt in this game like any other pokemon game?
i love shiny hunting so i just want to know
You might want to consult Tlachtli regarding this, as he was the one who fixed the PRNG in Sigma Emerald.

Soundproof is busted as it blocks all kinds of attacks.
Specifics please?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: v1.9 has been uploaded, bringing updated cries consistent with Gen 6 onward. Refer to the changelog for the full list of changes.

Additionally, the encounter sheet has been updated with the latest tweaks to the locations of each Pokemon (wild, event, and in-game trade)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Thank you for the update! Cannot wait for updated engine, this is my favorite Emerald hack and I'm excited for it to get even better.

Back