The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Game Development Scripts & Tutorials
Essentials Script Overworld Shadows for v17

Scripts & Tutorials This forum is for scripts and code, as well as all kinds of tutorials, software, tools and so forth. Remember to give credit!
The thread revival limit does not apply here.

Old November 10th, 2017 (10:30 AM). Edited November 11th, 2017 by Marin.
Not Bored

This resource can be installed via the Universal Plugin Installer.

You've probably heard of KleinStudio's overworld shadow script before; a lot of fangames use it, after all. It's apparently incompatible with Essentials v17, so I thought I'd give my own take on it.

It is semi-compatible with Essentials v16. It will not crash, but due to the way viewports are handled, shadows will appear on top of events rather than underneath. That makes it pretty worthless, and thus I wouldn't say it's compatible. If you want overworld shadows for v16, use KleinStudio's.

Installation
    If you choose not to use the Universal Plugin Installer, you may also paste this script in a new section above Main (Make sure to place this script UNDERNEATH your Following Pokémon script, if you have that!):
    Overworld Shadows

You will also need this sprite:
    Graphics/Characters/shadow.png

Features
    - Blacklisting events from receiving shadows
    - Whitelisting events to always receive shadows
    - A scaling animation when an event jumps

Usage
    Shadow_Path is the path to the shadow graphic. You can change this sprite, though you may need to fiddle with positioning of the sprite in relation to the event after, though. That's done in "def position_shadow". As the name literally says, if an event's name includes any of the strings in "No_Shadow_If_Event_Name_Has", it won't get a shadow, UNLESS the event's
    name also includes any of the strings in "Always_Give_Shadow_If_Event_Name_Has". This is essentially "overriding".

Case_Sensitive is either true or false. It's used when determing if an event's name includes a string in the "No_Shadow" and "Always_Give" arrays.

If true, it must match all strings with capitals exactly as well. If false, capitals don't need to match up.

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 10th, 2017 (12:33 PM).

Very nice! Thanks for making this Marin; overworld shadows were something much needed in v17. Glad to see me bugging you about it worked. ;)
      Old January 9th, 2018 (4:11 AM).
      #Hilbert is Badass

Nature: Hasty
        Well,
        I just found a bug(or whatever you might call it). It probably isn't that big, but it bugs me a lot (LOL), so...
        When you set up a move route for a character who was still earlier, (like in autorun events) the character starts moving, but the shadow remains in place.
        Thoughts?

Quick Reply